College Essay | Teen Ink

College Essay

By Trent4234 BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
Trent4234 BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin

The cool breeze from the October winds.  Up in the woods near Minocqua.  It was a greyish green plastic that was really light and easy to put up.  Usually we have to put these heavy wood walls on to a platform raised into the air on top of scaffolding.  After getting the wood walls on to the platform we would have to screw them together and put the roof on it.  For this one though we only needed one person to put the stand up.  We handed it up to my papa who was going to screw the stand in place.  

Then we had to start the long process of clearing paths for the deer to walk on and to increase the vision from the stand.  There were going to be three paths for this stand.  The first one had popple trees everywhere while the other two just had lots of brush.  Man this is going to be a long day, I thought as I got to work in a hurry.  The first path was the hardest to clear because of the trees, but for now I just needed to cut a small path that we would later expand.  I had clippers and started to cut the brush to make a narrow path that went on for a while weaving between the trees as I worked.  

After around 30 minutes of work I made it past the popple trees and into an opening full of brush.  There were very few trees but it was dense with the brush.  I headed back toward the stand as I asked if I had made the path long enough.  This being my first time helping up here I didn’t really know what they wanted.  I got reassurance that I was done with a slight nod and yes from my papa.  

Once I finished that path I had to spend another long while clearing out the next two paths.  The second one was going to be about as long as the first.  As I cut through the path I realised there was a tree that had fallen in the way.  I climbed over it and continued cutting.  I have to almost be done right.  I was sweating quite a lot now as I removed the last bit of brush from the path.  Now I have to finish the last path and this was the easiest one being that it was the smallest by quite a bit and it was already pretty clear other than a few spots where there were small fern trees and small bushes.  I cut this one in about 10 minutes as I continued my speedy work.  

After an hour and ten minutes I just made a narrow path. I went to the first path and started to help expand it with my uncle, papa, and cousin.  We were mainly cutting down the popple trees that surrounded the narrow path.  For being smaller trees they were still pretty heavy I thought as I moved along the path as I battled with the trees that kept getting stuck as I tried to push them to the sides with my cousin.  This was the hardest part of the trip because trying to move the tall trees that were cut in half was tough because they were still heavy.  I grabbed and forced the trees away with my sappy hands.  We still worked quick enough to keep up with my uncle who was cutting the trees and watching them fall.  We had to make two more paths after this one, but the other paths were not as dense with trees as the first one.  We worked fast wanting to finish before dinner.  

The last path, even though it was the shortest it took longer to clear because my uncle kept making it wider and wider with no need to do so.  Jeez when are we going to stop cutting unnecessary branches?  When we finished it had to be triple the size of the other two paths.  I went up into the stand to see our progress.   walked back to the cabin for a much needed sleep and dinner.