The Vineyard | Teen Ink

The Vineyard

By Lifro BRONZE, East Hampton, New York
Lifro BRONZE, East Hampton, New York

The Vineyard 

You make your way down the windy dirt road. Pass the first few houses. Keep going. All the way to the end. Eventually, you’ll see a few scattered sheds. Except they’re not really sheds. First, you pass the game shack. It’s full of darts and ping pong balls. Next is the writer's nook, where Suze writes all of her books. You finally see the main house. After an eight-hour car ride, you’ve made it. You jump out of the car not bothering to ask your parents to slow down. Running. Past the swing. Past the lightning tree. You see the bunkhouse. The three bedrooms and a bathroom are connected by a long porch. You see the two rocking chairs in the same place as always. They haven’t been moved in years. 

You see everyone running outside. They bring soccer balls and dolls and books and dogs. You all settle in after the fights over who gets top bunk. Your dad makes a big dinner, and all the kids watch movies. You teach the little kids how to make friendship bracelets while the adults catch up. When you walk back to the bunks you stop. You stand there in the middle of the lawn and remember all of the years past: When you were a little kid, picking raspberries off the bushes. When you laid in the bunk room during thunderstorms and you’d read a book as you listened to the rain fall on the roof. You remember watching Eliza as she ran naked through the yard. You’re suddenly pulled from your thoughts as one of the moms yells to go to bed. 

Sleeping in the bunkhouse is torture. The other kids argue all night long while you lay there. Finally, they fall asleep and you're left alone with your thoughts again. The other issue with the bunkhouse is the spiders. All night long you’re surrounded by spiders. Gross, fuzzy spiders.

After a restless night of sleep you wake up, even more tired than when you went to bed. You go with your mom to pick up breakfast at The Black Dog. You get the same chocolate muffin as always. You witness the traditional fight over the last cinnamon twist. Finally, everyone has eaten and the adults agree it’s Flying Horses day. 

Eventually, you’re ready to leave after Padget finally agreed to leave the security of the book she was reading. There’s another fight about who gets to go in which car. All the kids are arguing, “I want to go in that car,” “No, it’s my turn in that car.” Finally, you begin driving down the long driveway. After what feels like forever, you get out of the car. You walk around the beautiful town with colorful houses and little shops. It’s only been a few minutes when the complaints start coming; “I’m hot,” “I’m tired,” “I’m hungry.” You keep walking trying to ignore the kids complaining next to you. Suddenly the Flying Horses are in sight! You see the big red barn and all the kids waiting inside. You can smell the popcorn even though you’re still a block away. You walk through the open doors and wait in line while snacking on popcorn. You’re waiting and waiting until… it’s finally your turn! The gate opens and you race to find a good horse. Maybe this time will be it. You could finally get the brass ring. The safety announcements begin as you climb onto a horse and fasten the seatbelt.  You finally start moving. You go around once. You go around again and again. Five times. Ten times. Fifteen times. Finally, you hear it, “The brass rings are entering the arena.” You keep going grabbing two rings at a time, hoping to see the shiny brass ring. You reach for the coin slot and grab another two rings. You see it, the brass ring just as you’re speeding away. The person behind you has won. Another trip, another brass ring lost. 

You walk around mindless the rest of the day. No one asks but they all know something is wrong. You head back to the house acting as best as you can so no one asks any questions. You know you’re growing up. Soon you won't be able to ride the carousel, they’ll say you’re too big. You realize this is it. This is the end of your childhood. The years of fun will soon be forgotten, as you’re overwhelmed by stress and school. This is it. It’s your last summer to be a kid. You realize you have to make the most of it.

on Jul. 5 2022 at 10:24 am
liltatz20 BRONZE, Chambersburg, Pennsylvania

The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.

reading this makes me able to see it, this is beautiful