Commuting to College | Teen Ink

Commuting to College MAG

By bkdean BRONZE, Wallingford, Connecticut
bkdean BRONZE, Wallingford, Connecticut

In August, I was supposed to move into my college dorm in Rhode Island. The car was loaded with bedding, decorations, and clothing, ready to depart for my next chapter. However, I couldn’t get into the car. Ultimately, I decided to commute to college instead. If you are anything like me, you may want to consider commuting too. Here are the warning signs:

Warning sign #1: People tell you not to go.

Everyone close to me said they knew all along I wouldn’t end up going to school in Rhode Island. My parents tried to convince me to stay local, but I was stubborn about leaving my comfort zone.

Warning sign #2: You aren’t excited.

I was not the least bit excited about going to college. Even though I am a social person, the thought of having to meet all new people in a new environment made me queasy. Nothing got me excited to go.

Warning sign #3: Hating orientation.

While I was at the school for orientation I cried most of the time and disliked it. I met people and tried to enjoy myself, but for some reason I couldn’t.

Warning sign #4 (the most important one): You feel sick over college.

I was physically sick over leaving for school. I started crying two days before I was supposed to leave and did not stop until the morning my parents told me I did not have to go. I could not eat or sleep because of it.

Don’t get me wrong – I liked the school in Rhode Island, but it wasn’t for me. I was forcing myself to go because I thought that was just what college kids did. That is not the case. Even though I am not living on campus, I am still a college student.
Now, I am a full-time commuter at Quinnipiac University. I am studying Journalism and currently taking 19 credits. I could not be happier with my decision.

If you think you may want to commute to college, do not be alarmed. You are not alone. I made my decision the day I was supposed to be leaving! I promise you everything will work out. The most important thing is to be happy.

Happiness comes first.