The Rundown | Teen Ink

The Rundown MAG

By Anonymous

     “Yes, sir, I plan to go to college. What are my future goals? Well, I plan to get an associate’s degree in culinary arts, followed by a bachelor’s in hospitality management. With these, I plan to move to New York and continue my studies at the French Culinary Institute. I then plan to be a sous chef at a major restaurant in New York or Chicago until I earn my credibility and can be head chef at my own restaurant. After several years as a chef, I plan to become a food critic for a major magazine or possibly be a personal chef in Hollywood.”

“Any community service?”

“Of course. I am an active member of Field Street Baptist Church and have been my whole life. There, I am the lead singer of the praise band; we sing during church and took a mission trip to Colorado last summer where we led worship services. I have also taught children’s choir for the past six years. I am the president of the Field Street Acteens, a service organization that reaches out to the community. I have been a member for six years, holding the office of vice-president as well. I am also the vice-president of our Solid Rock youth choir. We tour yearly to Chicago, Dallas, Colorado Springs and New Orleans, holding vacation Bible schools and backyard Bible clubs while putting on musicals for children and adults. Camp Fire has been a big part of my life for 13 years. We reach out to the community in several ways, including Valentines for Vets and various Hospice ministries.”

“Extra-curricular activities, you ask? Alright, I am the president of the French club and have been a member for three years, also holding the offices of historian and vice president. I am also the vice president of the International Thespian Society. I am a member of the film club, drama club, and One Act Play, where I received an award for my role as the nurse in “Romeo and Juliet.” I am also a member of the Golden Pride marching band and held the offices of section leader and squad leader for alto and baritone saxophones. I plan to pursue music at college. I am also a member of the student council, the National Arts Honors Society, and the National French Honors Society.”

“Yes, thank you for your time. I appreciate your consideration for this award. No, thank you. Alright, I’ll wait for your call. Good-bye.”

An interview. A plastic smile and parade of good clothing. The stares and nods as the spiel is made. In the same words, in the same tone, with the same gestures. Time after time the questions are asked and answers received, only to hear nothing in return. The never-ending plea for funds to further an education is once again met with silence.