Standardized tests explained! | Teen Ink

Standardized tests explained!

By sarvasv_arora BRONZE, New Delhi, Other
sarvasv_arora BRONZE, New Delhi, Other

Preparing for the college application process, we all must have stumbled across different standardized tests like SAT or ACT. In this article we will learn about what part does these tests play in the whole application process and how vital they are...

So what are standardized tests?

College application process in the US is holistic, which means they just don't take a look your academic performance throughout high school for admissions, but rather try to get to know you as a whole person. While academics is highly important factor for admissions, every college want to get to know their upcoming students in a profound way. They want to know what you're passionate about and where you find joy. They want to know if you are capable enough to go through their highly advance course loads without fretting, and thats when standardized tests come into play.

While no tests can measure the true potential of a student (which also depends upon thousand other factors), these tests have predicted plausible results throughout the years. This gives colleges enough faith to still rely on these tests
There are mainly two tests that most colleges look for: the ACT and the SAT. While the two of them differ from each other a little, a student can always choose the one that suits him the most. They are both considered by colleges in the same way.

What to prepare?

These tests mostly consist of a Maths section and a reading writing section (ACT has a dedicated science section too), and they both have different scores
allocated. While the questions might be a little tricky, for a good student maths or science section can easily be completed with no mistakes, given he/she is good in time
management and went through enough practice tests before taking the main exam.

The reading and writing section is what holds students aback from doing
good in these tests, however, if one is determined enough, this is the place to boost your score over others to get an extra edge. And to overcome that, one needs to be a
regular reader. Linguistics, rhetorics, and proper understanding of the syntax of how rich texts are written can help a lot.

Now, the question arises: When to take tese tests?

Well, it's best suited to take them either in the junior year or the summer of the senior year. Though most universities accept scores from as late as December of the senior year, it's better to bear less burden at that time, and rather foucus more on essays and other parts of your application.   

Both of them are offered several times a year and you can choose any time you might like. There are lots test prep materials and practice tests available
online.

That being said, if you haven't taken the tests yet, brace yourself up practice and get the score you want!