Mirrors of Grace | Teen Ink

Mirrors of Grace

By Grace Chuang BRONZE, Kaohsiung, Other
Grace Chuang BRONZE, Kaohsiung, Other
1 article 1 photo 0 comments

Overall, my mandala is a combination of organic shapes to represent how I like living a more tranquil way of life rather than encountering adventures. I also chose to give my mandala a rounded border; the circular shape creates a sense of completion and wholeness. Starting from the center of my mandala is a circle, which is my personal symbol. Inside the small central circle is a rose surrounded by vines and blocks. Shapes with sharp edges represent the tougher side of my personality.
The dream catcher serves to remind me of the nightmares and sweet daydreams I store in my memory. It is also a symbol to chase away my fears. The rectangles in the band represent both the braces I wore when I was younger and the glasses I wear now. The abstracted form of crown expresses monarchy and my desire to visit England, and the figure is colored in purple to represent royalty. The swirls around the crown are coffee swirls and they remind me of all the afternoon teas my father put together for my family on weekends. I chose purple as my main color because it represents magic and fantasy. I am a strong believer in magic and miracles, often daydreaming about starring as the heroine in novels and movies. Purple also represents elegance, a quality I wish to possess. I believe I am a sensitive and compassionate person, which is expressed through the use of purple. As an idealist, I often dream of things that are unlikely to happen in the real world. Purple also brings about a mysterious and introverted atmosphere.
My personal symbol in the center of the mandala reveals a lot about me. The purple rose represents the sweet, innocent memories and emotions I want to preserve. The sharp vines stand for strength and growth, and they surround the rose to protect it from any harms or damages. The blocks around the vines are symbols of obstacles I went through in my life, and the droplet-shaped figures represent tears, expressing the events in life that I had cried for, whether of joy or sadness. I chose “Mirror of Grace” as my title because this mandala is a reflection of my inner self.

Similar images

This art has 1 comment.

AlaNova ELITE said...
on Aug. 1 2014 at 3:03 pm
AlaNova ELITE, Naperville, Illinois

Dalai Lama said, "There are only two days in the year that nothing can be done. One is called YESTERDAY and the other is called TOMORROW, so today is the right day to love, believe, do, and mostly live..."

O.O ...magniiiiiificent piece, and beautiful symbolism behind it as well. I adore how you have so much detail in it and behind it, and now, gaping, all I have is one Q--how on earth did you create this?? :D