A Spanish Lover by Joanna Trollope | Teen Ink

A Spanish Lover by Joanna Trollope

By Helen. BRONZE, Paide, Other
Helen. BRONZE, Paide, Other

“A Spanish Lover” is a book witch was written by the novelist Joanna Trollope. It is a romance about twins who have all the closeness, but very different lives and about how one sister's decisions affect all the other people's lives.

The main characters are twins – Lizzie and Frances. Lizzie is the more charming and forceful twin who has a family and love. Frances is somewhat like a solitary dreamer. All the events take place in England and also in Spain in the 20th century.

It all starts with everyone's excitement about the up-coming Christmas. Everything changes when Frances tells that she is going to Spain because of her travel business. But the first trip is not successful and she returns. She decides to try her luck once again and this time everything goes very well – she also finds a love. In London, Lizzie is having financial problems and when she sees Frances and her flourishing love, she feels even worse. Soon Frances has some news that no one believes – she is going to have a baby. But because her loved Spaniard is a Catholic, it is not possible to have a baby without being married. Frances has to decide what to do.

The author's style is emotional and quite humorous, the language of the book is varied. The dialogues between the characters are idiomatic, but the descriptions of the surroundings are written with quite a rich language. The book also has messages, for example, that changes and exciting decisions don't always bring happiness.

It's a great book with very believable characters and if you enjoy reading books that include conflicts, romance and beautiful places, you should think of reading “A Spanish Lover”.