The Giver by Lois Lowry This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

After reading The Giver, I was left confused and disappointed. It seemed as if it would be interesting, but you can't judge a book by its cover. The contents were dull and predictable. Quite honestly, I wouldn't recommend it to any reader seeking a fine piece of literature. It just doesn't suffice.

The Giver is about a young boy named Jonas. He resides in a futuristic society in which each citizen is assigned a job, a spouse, and children. The children are born to mothers who will never get to see them. Trying not to give anymore away, I will only say that Jonas is assigned an important job and is challenged with the release of an innocent child. Jonas is left with the option of leaving his home, job, and family to save the child, or facing the harsh reality of his community and job, and enduring the release of the child.

This book was dreadful. I became more and more dissatisfied with each page. It was a waste of time and hardly made sense. I'll admit, there were a few interesting lines, but far too few to continue reading after the first chapter. Although I finished it, I regret doing so. It was, by far, the worst book I've ever picked up. It proved to be mediocre, no better than what the average person could conceive. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

WaffleManThing said...
this is a great book and u who does not think so! read the comments people loved this book i have it in my top 5 :)

Emerson replied...
Dec. 15, 2011 at 6:06 am :
i put it on my top 5 as well.

hannahmunchy said...
Are you kidding?! This book was incredible!!!! It is definitely one of my favorite books of all time. (see my profile). I loved it--the writing was phenomenal, and the story was the most creative, innovative, and moving that I have ever read. I strongly disagree with the author of this review.

inadaze said...
Nov. 23, 2011 at 12:10 am:
You MUST read the other two sequels. Gathering Blue and The Messenger. Ties it all up!

AFreeSpirit9714 replied...
Dec. 1, 2011 at 10:59 pm :

There's more to the story?? I never knew that! Which came after the Giver, first, Gathering Blue, or The Messenger?

Thanks for telling!

Inadaze replied...
Dec. 2, 2011 at 4:52 pm :
Gathering blue and then The Messenger! And yes, there is sooo much more to the story:)

WordfisherThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Dec. 28, 2011 at 1:25 pm :
Oh my goodness, thank you so much for the titles. I am going to my library soon and I will check them out!

MargaretM.. said...
I LOVE THIS BOOk! We were assigned in school the cover l;ooks so boring for a 7th grader to read but i loved it.It looks boring but you have to concentrate or yoou'll get confused.It about a world where it has never seen snowed and  everybody sees in black and white and they don't make their own choices.Except the giver who sees color and knows the knowledge of the world, which is the job the main charcater is assigned.

TheInvisibleGirl said...

I have to say that I completely disagree with your opinion.  Of course, everyone does get their own opinion, but I think that you had to broaden your imagination and views to be able to get the book deply enough to like it.

ALthough I did hate the ending, but I kinda loved it.  I just feel like Lowry was done wrting it and wanted it to be over by then.

Gathering Blue the sequel (maybe the prequel) was so amazing though!

alanna_mcc This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I couldn't disagree more with this review. This is one of my favorite books. You were disappointed because you didn't understand the undrelying messages and the puzzling ideas contained in The Giver's pages. You just don't appreciate Lois Lowry's BEAUTIFUL writing. Yes, the end is dissatisfying, but that's because it isn't written word for word. You get to interpret what happens to Jonas.

writer101 replied...
Nov. 10, 2011 at 6:35 pm :
I read this book as part of a class.To understand it you have to dig deeper in to the meaning of the book.Like any good book you read the author does not just tell you what it is about you have to figure the meaning behind the book yourself.I liked the book and found that it had manny meanings behind it.

Wordscantsay said...
Really like this book!!!!Great job =]

sushiman555 said...
At first this book was boring but it got better, I just didn't understand some parts.  i absolutely hate the ending

ghostfilms730 said...
this book was creepy in so many ways

WaffleManThing replied...
Dec. 13, 2011 at 9:07 pm :
did u like it though?

Jackie.C said...
I wholeheartedly disagree with this disappointed review. The Giver is about the dangers of a Utopian society, how to love, how to feel. Personally, The Giver is my favorite book of all time. It's an amazing story and I really advise that if you found it disappointing or confusing the first time around, read it a second or even a third like I did.

Mike replied...
Nov. 1, 2011 at 8:47 pm :
Distopian society not utopian

Afra- said...
Nov. 1, 2011 at 5:04 am:

The giver book is a very emotional story. Thoguh I read it two or three years back I still remember it. =) Yes, you do need to read it really slow but in the end this book is very sad and maybe thats one reason some people find it dissapointing. I at first felt it to be suckish, but tehn when i thought back to the events i began to see the idea more clearly. The ending was way too cliffhangerish for and yes i do need to read the sequeals. I still wonder what happened to Jonas and the baby. =(... (more »)

IceFox416 said...
There are also several sequals, though not about Jonas. But I read Gathering Blue, and the ending of that gave you an idea about what happend to Jonas.

IceFox416 said...
I can see why you say this, especially if you like horror, action-adventure, or thrillers. This book is more of an emotional story, sort of an examination of the way humankind restricts themselves. It's a very colorless and bleak novel, which is another reason some people don't like it. But I think, to read this, you have to enjoy a slow-paced, more multi-layered story. Some people don't like stories like that, and I myself know how entertaining a good action story can be, but when you need a bo... (more »)

bookinatorTS said...
Oct. 12, 2011 at 10:48 am:
I agree, the Giver left me very frustrated and disappointed. Yes, the world that Lois Lowry created was cool, but a good ending wasn't there. Basicly all of my disappointment was because of the cliffhanger ending and a very predictable ending.