The Giver by Lois Lowry This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

After reading The Giver, I was left confused and disappointed. It seemed as if it would be interesting, but you can't judge a book by its cover. The contents were dull and predictable. Quite honestly, I wouldn't recommend it to any reader seeking a fine piece of literature. It just doesn't suffice.

The Giver is about a young boy named Jonas. He resides in a futuristic society in which each citizen is assigned a job, a spouse, and children. The children are born to mothers who will never get to see them. Trying not to give anymore away, I will only say that Jonas is assigned an important job and is challenged with the release of an innocent child. Jonas is left with the option of leaving his home, job, and family to save the child, or facing the harsh reality of his community and job, and enduring the release of the child.

This book was dreadful. I became more and more dissatisfied with each page. It was a waste of time and hardly made sense. I'll admit, there were a few interesting lines, but far too few to continue reading after the first chapter. Although I finished it, I regret doing so. It was, by far, the worst book I've ever picked up. It proved to be mediocre, no better than what the average person could conceive. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

IMAdreamerThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jul. 5, 2012 at 4:41 pm:

I really enjoyed The Giver, though i didn't like the ending because i wanted to know what would happen next, of course i hardly ever like the endings to books... it must be that humanistic characteristic of always wanting more...

ps. please check out my work....

BreathingUpsideDown said...
Jun. 25, 2012 at 8:59 am:
I absolutely loved The Giver. Coming at it expecting an action-packed teen romance built to satisfy the attention deprived youth of today you will be dissappointed. But if you're looking for something with real insight and emotion and if you really want to have to read into the characters this is a wonderful book. You say it didn't make sense, I argue that you just didn't understand it. Though the ending did leave the reader wanting, overall I think it was a beautifly written... (more »)

Kaitlyn_Deann said...
Jun. 20, 2012 at 2:37 pm:
I actually really liked The Giver, though I do admit it wasn't my favorite book. I probably won't read it again for years. The idea was amazing, but I wasn't a big fan of the style or ending. 

DreamingOutQuiet said...
Jun. 4, 2012 at 9:38 pm:
The giver never had a chance. Good idea: absolutely terrible writing and delivery. *shudder* (not to mention one dimensional characters) I hate when authors dumb down books this much. 

MR. SMARTY PANTS said...
May 17, 2012 at 3:59 pm:
It was an amazing book but the ending was a little wierd. Also, If you could describe this book in one word, what would it be? I chose Ignorance

crushed_veneer said...
May 17, 2012 at 10:55 am:
I agree and disagree.  I think the idea of the book was wonderful, I think it was very creative, however I don't think the book was creatively written or well written.

NaomiStatiaThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
May 17, 2012 at 5:12 am:
Well, I am going to have to disagree. I read it resently and found it very interesting. How Jonas learn from the "Giver" that this life is not what "life" is. Imagine having no color in your life? Imagine having a child and it being taken away from you? Imagine not being able to chose your husband/wife due to the "cousels" choice? But that is all that community has ever known. Running away was because Jonas was trying to help the community. Helping them move into a different life, letting them s... (more »)

saryachan This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
May 9, 2012 at 1:23 am:

Though the book was quite mundane at times, I have to say that the plot was superbly interesting, and not predictable at all...at least, when I read it. The ending leaves the reader hanging with the obscurely described ending, and though I was utterly frustrated by the ending, I thought the book overall was quite well done. Otherwise, why else would they tell us to read it in school? 

SensAtion said...
May 6, 2012 at 2:42 pm:
To be candid, this book review could use some revision. I am not the greatest "Giver" fan either, but this post isn't so much of a well-rounded review as it is an opinion in three paragraphs. It's oozing with malcontent yet with no explanations at all except for the vague "dull" or "dreadful." There are numerous adjectives though minimal substance is present in this article. If you wish to be a writer you must realize that the quality of the writing is not in the selection of words, especially o... (more »)

wishingtheskywasbluerThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
good review. . . but i loved the book and thought it was one of the best i had ever read.

maeugeniap said...
Apr. 3, 2012 at 11:42 am:
I read it when I was 10 or 9 years old. I enjoyed it, and loved the end. I do not understand why do you think it is a very dull book, because it is a piece of art. This book lets you decide how to imagine and see what is happening from different perspectives. This book really was what many had tried to achieve but never did it. 

Missy312 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Hm... when I first read "The Giver," I was confused as well. I disliked it. But reading it years later, I realized that it's actually quite a deep book. In all fairness, I think this book means different things to people of varying stages in life. As a middle-school student, I couldn't relate to such a dismal world. As I've grown older, I can appreciate this book more. 

cutie pie said...
Mar. 20, 2012 at 12:13 pm:
well i do agree i read this in six grade and in eighth grade. we even wrote to the author n she wrote back.i loved it. at the end it will have you confused.

owlover1 said...
Mar. 19, 2012 at 4:47 pm:
I actually think is is a great yet sad book. I am very suprised about what negative comments these people give about this book

iamthebest replied...
Apr. 3, 2012 at 6:20 am :
I definitely agree with owlover1. The book was a bit confusing but sad. It was set in a different world. but i must say I really liked it

neeya f'n bhad said...
Mar. 19, 2012 at 10:52 am:
well to me i agree with what she saiid because you cant judge a book by it cover and on top of that i was left confused n maybe you would see what she talkin bout if you read the book again but slow.

deus-ex-machina14 said...
Mar. 17, 2012 at 7:40 am:
I remember reading this book in sixth grade. I have to say, at the time, I was a little confused, as well. But after pondering the end for a while, I began to appreciate it more. It is a decent book in my view. I'm sorry to say, I disagree with this review.

swcricket98 said...
Feb. 24, 2012 at 12:32 am:
I would have to say that I disagree with this review. I feel like it was a close-minded viewpoint, as this book, to me, was a very figurative piece. Perceive it as you may, but it was far from uninteresting and was not as dreadful as you make it sound.

KendisPiperThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 19, 2012 at 9:33 pm:
With all due respect, i strongly disagree with this review. While the plot line may not have been as exciting as the hunger games, for example; it grew in complexity and charecter development with every page. The society was a very original concept, eliminating colour, music, animals, landscape, and introducing a drug to eliminate love. I found it got my brain working and kept me compelled the whole time. While the ending was a bit confusing, there are two others in the series to explain it, if ... (more »)

WritersArt said...
Feb. 19, 2012 at 4:11 pm:
This book happens to be considered a great, classic, beautiful piece of literature. I loved it! I believe it takes a very sophisticated viewpoint to really understand it, and Lois Lowry wanted everyone to be able to interpret it in their own way. It's a very mature style of writing, so if you don't appreciate beauty, I can understand why you wouldn't like it. But I thought it was pure art.