The Giver by Lois Lowry This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

After reading The Giver, I was left confused and disappointed. It seemed as if it would be interesting, but you can't judge a book by its cover. The contents were dull and predictable. Quite honestly, I wouldn't recommend it to any reader seeking a fine piece of literature. It just doesn't suffice.

The Giver is about a young boy named Jonas. He resides in a futuristic society in which each citizen is assigned a job, a spouse, and children. The children are born to mothers who will never get to see them. Trying not to give anymore away, I will only say that Jonas is assigned an important job and is challenged with the release of an innocent child. Jonas is left with the option of leaving his home, job, and family to save the child, or facing the harsh reality of his community and job, and enduring the release of the child.

This book was dreadful. I became more and more dissatisfied with each page. It was a waste of time and hardly made sense. I'll admit, there were a few interesting lines, but far too few to continue reading after the first chapter. Although I finished it, I regret doing so. It was, by far, the worst book I've ever picked up. It proved to be mediocre, no better than what the average person could conceive. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

ECubed said...
The Giver was an amazing book. Loved it.

lexosaurus said...
Well everyone has there opinion but to me i thought this book was very good and intruiging because i had to read it for my english class and naturally i thought this book would be boring but it turned out to be very interesting and i liked it a lot. The setting was very cool to me although the society they live in i thought was unfair and controlled but for the most part it was really great if you got the setting and society but if you didnt then it was probably not as enjoyable for you

Sunshine said...
Oct. 16, 2012 at 10:27 am
Hi! I haven't read this book but I am a bit curious about it! This book was given as a reveiw on my school's website. Should I read it? Everyone keeps giving it different reviews. Thanks and please reply!

mulan98This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Oct. 5, 2012 at 5:55 am
This judgement awfully sounds like a matter of one's own inablity to brainstorm possiblities of what happened in the end. Although I do understand that the ending might have left us all feeling confused, it's fair to point out while you said that it became very "dull and disappointing" towards the end, I find you asking questions about it as well. Lowry might have chosen to end the book this way as means to keep it alive, but this is merely an opinion and I hope you don't t... (more »)

I.R.B said...
Sept. 24, 2012 at 12:56 am
I think this is a very wellwritten piece. But I must dissagree. At first I did not care for the book much mself. But as I read on, I saw so much meaning in the pages. The theme of this place being a "utopia" made the whole book a paradox. I think the author described the use of drugs, sexual desire, and governmental control to write a fabulous story, that holds so much meaning. 

Ririchiyo45 said...
Good review, but I must disagree. I believed The Giver to be a wonderful book that showed the complexity of humanity and of a utopian society. The ending was a bit of a bummer, I might add.

AKequestrian said...
I do not agree with Bapalapa2 at all!!! The Giver by Lois Lowry is a very well written book. IT was unique and fresh, and there has been many books made AFTER following the same theme. "It proved to be mediocre, no better than what the average person could concieve." THis is a quote directly from Bapalapa2's book review. That is purely untrue, it is strictly an opinion and its ridiculous. Mediocre, could've been written by anyone books do not recieve many medals and lots of rea... (more »)

happyAKgirl said...
I do not agree at all. I read The Giver earlier and loved it. The ending was mysterious and the author gave you the chance to decide for yourself what happend. It was confusing in a good sort of way. But good job on you review Bapalapa2 even though i disagree.

NicholasJohnButlersGirl4-Ever said...
Aug. 31, 2012 at 8:51 am
I totally agree.  I mean the ending is like what happened di he make it or did they die? We will never know. The book became very dull and dissapointing the further you get into the novel. I had to read it twice and wouldnt recommend it to anyone ever.

jenledgerfan said...
I read this book and I thought it was one of the best bo! oks ever. when you can write as good as Lois Lowry then feel free to bash a great work of literature.

pandagirl312 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I recently read The Giver, and I loved it. I spent days after reading it thinking about it. However, you are entitled to your opinion, too. It's a nicely done review, even if I don't agree. :)

Pea6898 said...
 The giver was confusing book but only at the ending otherwise it was a wonderful story and i look forward to read the next one. Louis lowery is an awesome but confuseing auther a good one by louis is number the stars. I hope more readers like the giver.

malaix said...
Gathering Blue, The Messenger

IMAdreamerThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...

I really enjoyed The Giver, though i didn't like the ending because i wanted to know what would happen next, of course i hardly ever like the endings to books... it must be that humanistic characteristic of always wanting more...

ps. please check out my work....

BreathingUpsideDown said...
Jun. 25, 2012 at 8:59 am
I absolutely loved The Giver. Coming at it expecting an action-packed teen romance built to satisfy the attention deprived youth of today you will be dissappointed. But if you're looking for something with real insight and emotion and if you really want to have to read into the characters this is a wonderful book. You say it didn't make sense, I argue that you just didn't understand it. Though the ending did leave the reader wanting, overall I think it was a beautifly written... (more »)

Kaitlyn_Deann said...
I actually really liked The Giver, though I do admit it wasn't my favorite book. I probably won't read it again for years. The idea was amazing, but I wasn't a big fan of the style or ending. 

DreamingOutQuiet said...
The giver never had a chance. Good idea: absolutely terrible writing and delivery. *shudder* (not to mention one dimensional characters) I hate when authors dumb down books this much. 

MR. SMARTY PANTS said...
It was an amazing book but the ending was a little wierd. Also, If you could describe this book in one word, what would it be? I chose Ignorance

crushed_veneer said...
May 17, 2012 at 10:55 am
I agree and disagree.  I think the idea of the book was wonderful, I think it was very creative, however I don't think the book was creatively written or well written.

NaomiStatia said...
May 17, 2012 at 5:12 am
Well, I am going to have to disagree. I read it resently and found it very interesting. How Jonas learn from the "Giver" that this life is not what "life" is. Imagine having no color in your life? Imagine having a child and it being taken away from you? Imagine not being able to chose your husband/wife due to the "cousels" choice? But that is all that community has ever known. Running away was because Jonas was trying to help the community. Helping them move into a different life, letting them s... (more »)