The Giver by Lois Lowry This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

After reading The Giver, I was left confused and disappointed. It seemed as if it would be interesting, but you can't judge a book by its cover. The contents were dull and predictable. Quite honestly, I wouldn't recommend it to any reader seeking a fine piece of literature. It just doesn't suffice.

The Giver is about a young boy named Jonas. He resides in a futuristic society in which each citizen is assigned a job, a spouse, and children. The children are born to mothers who will never get to see them. Trying not to give anymore away, I will only say that Jonas is assigned an important job and is challenged with the release of an innocent child. Jonas is left with the option of leaving his home, job, and family to save the child, or facing the harsh reality of his community and job, and enduring the release of the child.

This book was dreadful. I became more and more dissatisfied with each page. It was a waste of time and hardly made sense. I'll admit, there were a few interesting lines, but far too few to continue reading after the first chapter. Although I finished it, I regret doing so. It was, by far, the worst book I've ever picked up. It proved to be mediocre, no better than what the average person could conceive. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

CautionwetPaint said...
Oct. 10, 2011 at 9:29 am:

I can see where your coming from, especially if you enjoy action, adventure, or horror books. However the Giver is anything but mediocre, and predictable. it's defintely way more intricate and deep then your letting on, and because of it's plot is again, anything but predictable.

When I read it I was in sixth grade. I lived every minute of it though even though I didn't understand some lines. Whatever I didn't understand I asked about to be sure I followed. What I would suggest for you... (more »)

LilEgg said...
Oct. 10, 2011 at 6:46 am:
The book is really interesting actually and it's a series of books so you can't just read the Giver you have to read the other ones to understand everything.

Shadow said...
The Giver was boring

Hester said...
I read The Giver when I was in elementary school and loved it. I read it again as a school book in 7th grade. And loved it. In conclusion, this is a great book. ;p

TheWordSmith said...
Personally, The Giver is my all-time favorite book. I know everyone has their personal preferences, but perhaps if you used an online resource that thoroughly explained any confusing parts (example: SparkNotes), then you would be able to better appreciate the story. Just a suggestion :)

SunflowerState said...
 Why would you be negative about the book? You are supposed to give us details about the book, not how you didn't like it and I hear that it is a very good and interesting book.

WaffleManThing replied...
Dec. 13, 2011 at 9:08 pm :
true that!

Costa said...
I read The Giver last year for school and I loved it. I know that some people got a little confused about some of it, but that's the best part. Even though I didn't get confused while reading this—I only get confused when things actually make sense, if they are confusing themselves, then I won't get confused and I'll understand it perfectly...strange...—I still think that this was a great book. I think that you should reread it and try to find the true meaning of The Giver because th... (more »)

Taintedlove said...
This book was absoulutly beyond amazing. I can see close-minded people not liking it because their agraid of what is happening to society, but if you like it or not if we don't change our choices made in the goverment thats what is left to happen for genrations before someone has the guts to speak up and leave this horrible community.

ayeshamuzaffar This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Sept. 18, 2011 at 4:45 am:
I couldn't disagree more. I read this book 3 times and every time I felt an urge to read it again and that's a good thing.

WritersSpark said...
I read the Giver unopenedly (and maybe a bit unwillingly) as a project for school and was actually a bit surprised by its outcome. First of all, L.L was very creative and brave on the storyline, which I commend her for that, and she also opened my eyes brighter in the catagory of science fiction. At first the Giver did NOT appeal to me (from the dull grey cover of a bearded man to the vage description) but after getting into it, I became eager to enter the doors of 5th period English. As a fello... (more »)

Jessica112 replied...
Sept. 3, 2011 at 5:49 pm :
I agree! This was an awesome book!

Krystal27 said...
Jul. 22, 2011 at 7:22 am:
"The Giver," it's themes and the choices made by the society disturbed me deeply, so much so I even told people at work about it. For society to make a choice to opt for "sameness" and take it to the extents they had... I can't say I enjoyed The Giver but I can appreciate it for what it was. I felt some backstory would have been nice, and I wasn't entirely satisfied with the last chapter (the moment his "father" says Gabriele is being released, and onwards) but ending was brave and thought provo... (more »)

kewlbeans41 said...
Jul. 2, 2011 at 4:40 pm:
i totally disagree wit the writer of this review. i loved the giver and pratically spent all nite reading it and while its not fastpased its still well written. i think that lois lowry is a damn good author.

abnormal said...
Jun. 26, 2011 at 8:17 pm:
I'm in a completely different boat!  I've read the giver multiple times and it has left me a lot to ponder over.  It may not be an action-packed book, but it still meets the standards of intersting

I LIKE PIE replied...
Jul. 8, 2011 at 1:44 pm :
I thimk you were expecting it to be a 'event book', but really, The Giver wasn't about what happened; it was about the ideas the author had about our world. It was a book about how great our world is and how we should be greatful.

bridget1 replied...
Jul. 24, 2011 at 4:47 pm :
I competely agree that it was about being grateful for our world. I also think the author was trying to convey to the reader how important it is to be unique and at least a little different than everyone else rather than trying to be the same.

rockyraccoon said...
Jun. 26, 2011 at 12:47 am:
I disagree this book while not exactly fast paced was still quite interesting and also this book was fairly original no hoverboards or flying cars and such.

RhythmAndRhyme said...
Jun. 25, 2011 at 1:27 pm:
I totally and completely disagree with you and this whole article. The book is extremely well written, in my eyes, and is quite the cautionary tale. I'm sorry that you didn't enjoy it as much as you could have, and I wish you would give it a second chance...maybe read it again, but with new eyes! Try to find the good things in it as you sweep over each line, the things other people might like about a book like this.

caitieb said...
Jun. 25, 2011 at 8:33 am:
The giver was amazing and well plotted maybe its too politically educating