The Giver by Lois Lowry MAG

By Bapalapa2 ELITE, Brooklyn, New York
Bapalapa2 ELITE, Brooklyn, New York

After reading The Giver, I was left confused and disappointed. It seemed as if it would be interesting, but you can't judge a book by its cover. The contents were dull and predictable. Quite honestly, I wouldn't recommend it to any reader seeking a fine piece of literature. It just doesn't suffice.

The Giver is about a young boy named Jonas. He resides in a futuristic society in which each citizen is assigned a job, a spouse, and children. The children are born to mothers who will never get to see them. Trying not to give anymore away, I will only say that Jonas is assigned an important job and is challenged with the release of an innocent child. Jonas is left with the option of leaving his home, job, and family to save the child, or facing the harsh reality of his community and job, and enduring the release of the child.

This book was dreadful. I became more and more dissatisfied with each page. It was a waste of time and hardly made sense. I'll admit, there were a few interesting lines, but far too few to continue reading after the first chapter. Although I finished it, I regret doing so. It was, by far, the worst book I've ever picked up. It proved to be mediocre, no better than what the average person could conceive. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

on Apr. 3 2012 at 11:42 am
maeugeniap BRONZE, ----, Other

"Imagination is more important than knowledge" - Albert Einstein

I read it when I was 10 or 9 years old. I enjoyed it, and loved the end. I do not understand why do you think it is a very dull book, because it is a piece of art. This book lets you decide how to imagine and see what is happening from different perspectives. This book really was what many had tried to achieve but never did it. 

on Apr. 3 2012 at 6:20 am
iamawesomeK SILVER, Wilmington, Delaware

I am sure I won't be able to fit that many quotes in here.

I definitely agree with owlover1. The book was a bit confusing but sad. It was set in a different world. but i must say I really liked it

on Apr. 1 2012 at 1:43 pm
Missy312 BRONZE, San Francisco, California

The success is not mine, the failure is not mine, but the two together make me.
-- Charles Dickens

Hm... when I first read "The Giver," I was confused as well. I disliked it. But reading it years later, I realized that it's actually quite a deep book. In all fairness, I think this book means different things to people of varying stages in life. As a middle-school student, I couldn't relate to such a dismal world. As I've grown older, I can appreciate this book more. 

cutie pie said...
on Mar. 20 2012 at 12:13 pm
well i do agree i read this in six grade and in eighth grade. we even wrote to the author n she wrote back.i loved it. at the end it will have you confused.

cutie pie said...
on Mar. 20 2012 at 12:09 pm
i agree with you it is.

owlover1 said...
on Mar. 19 2012 at 4:47 pm
I actually think is is a great yet sad book. I am very suprised about what negative comments these people give about this book

on Mar. 19 2012 at 10:52 am
well to me i agree with what she saiid because you cant judge a book by it cover and on top of that i was left confused n maybe you would see what she talkin bout if you read the book again but slow.

on Mar. 17 2012 at 7:40 am
deus-ex-machina14 BRONZE, Stewartsville, New Jersey

"There are two main tragedies in life. One is not getting what one wants, and the other is getting it." -Oscar Wilde

I remember reading this book in sixth grade. I have to say, at the time, I was a little confused, as well. But after pondering the end for a while, I began to appreciate it more. It is a decent book in my view. I'm sorry to say, I disagree with this review.

on Feb. 24 2012 at 12:32 am
swcricket98 GOLD, Williamson, Georgia

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

I would have to say that I disagree with this review. I feel like it was a close-minded viewpoint, as this book, to me, was a very figurative piece. Perceive it as you may, but it was far from uninteresting and was not as dreadful as you make it sound.

on Feb. 19 2012 at 9:33 pm
GretaGibson PLATINUM, Vancouver, Other
With all due respect, i strongly disagree with this review. While the plot line may not have been as exciting as the hunger games, for example; it grew in complexity and charecter development with every page. The society was a very original concept, eliminating colour, music, animals, landscape, and introducing a drug to eliminate love. I found it got my brain working and kept me compelled the whole time. While the ending was a bit confusing, there are two others in the series to explain it, if you will take the time to read them. They are called "Gathering Blue" and "The Messenger" so once again, i disagree and think it is a brilliant peice of liturature that i only wish i could dream up.

on Feb. 19 2012 at 4:11 pm
WritersArt GOLD, Spring, Texas

"Paper is more patient that man." -Anne Frank
"Always do what you are afraid to do." -Emerson

This book happens to be considered a great, classic, beautiful piece of literature. I loved it! I believe it takes a very sophisticated viewpoint to really understand it, and Lois Lowry wanted everyone to be able to interpret it in their own way. It's a very mature style of writing, so if you don't appreciate beauty, I can understand why you wouldn't like it. But I thought it was pure art.

on Feb. 19 2012 at 11:20 am
Eshshah PLATINUM, Galloway, New Jersey

"The woods are lovely, dark and deep. But I have promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep." -Robert Frost

The giver is one of my favorite books ever- I love dystopian society books, and though it was on a reading list and I thought it would be boring, I found myself eating it up! I disagree with this review.

on Feb. 13 2012 at 9:47 pm
Amyelisee BRONZE, Lake Bluff, Illinois
Huh. I remember liking it.

KatsK DIAMOND said...
on Feb. 12 2012 at 4:07 pm
KatsK DIAMOND, Saint Paul, Minnesota

Being inexhaustible, life and nature are a constant stimulus for a creative mind.
~Hans Hofmann
You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.
~Ray Bradbury

I guess you haven't read Little House on the Prarie then. Jokes aside, The Giver is a really good book, and I highly recommend it.

Katrini BRONZE said...
on Feb. 6 2012 at 4:18 pm
Katrini BRONZE, Bellingham, Washington
So true, alemx, I really enjoyed this book and I think it was written in a great style

Katrini BRONZE said...
on Feb. 6 2012 at 4:18 pm
Katrini BRONZE, Bellingham, Washington
What a fitting user name!

alemx said...
on Feb. 6 2012 at 4:14 pm
I loved this book! I think that you need to reread it, and focus more on the meanings, than on the plot. I was fascinated by the way the took out color.

crazyboy6 said...
on Feb. 6 2012 at 4:08 pm
hi kate its colton

kcunning44 said...
on Feb. 6 2012 at 4:04 pm
I disagree with you. I think this book is one of the best books I have ever read. I loved how the end was sudden, and a cliffhanger. Every time I reread this book I think about what happens to Jonah and it stays with me for days. This is the point of literature; to make you think.

3va101 said...
on Feb. 3 2012 at 8:24 pm
i know what yoou mean when u felt disappointed at then because the story was just hanging there but i discussed this with my teacher and i finally realized the author did this to make sure the reader keeps thinking about what's gonna happen next the author want u to keep thinking about the book!

SciArc

MacMillan Books

Aspiring Writer? Take Our Online Course!