The Giver by Lois Lowry This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

After reading The Giver, I was left confused and disappointed. It seemed as if it would be interesting, but you can't judge a book by its cover. The contents were dull and predictable. Quite honestly, I wouldn't recommend it to any reader seeking a fine piece of literature. It just doesn't suffice.

The Giver is about a young boy named Jonas. He resides in a futuristic society in which each citizen is assigned a job, a spouse, and children. The children are born to mothers who will never get to see them. Trying not to give anymore away, I will only say that Jonas is assigned an important job and is challenged with the release of an innocent child. Jonas is left with the option of leaving his home, job, and family to save the child, or facing the harsh reality of his community and job, and enduring the release of the child.

This book was dreadful. I became more and more dissatisfied with each page. It was a waste of time and hardly made sense. I'll admit, there were a few interesting lines, but far too few to continue reading after the first chapter. Although I finished it, I regret doing so. It was, by far, the worst book I've ever picked up. It proved to be mediocre, no better than what the average person could conceive. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

Afra- said...
Nov. 1, 2011 at 5:04 am:

The giver book is a very emotional story. Thoguh I read it two or three years back I still remember it. =) Yes, you do need to read it really slow but in the end this book is very sad and maybe thats one reason some people find it dissapointing. I at first felt it to be suckish, but tehn when i thought back to the events i began to see the idea more clearly. The ending was way too cliffhangerish for and yes i do need to read the sequeals. I still wonder what happened to Jonas and the baby. =(... (more »)

IceFox416 said...
There are also several sequals, though not about Jonas. But I read Gathering Blue, and the ending of that gave you an idea about what happend to Jonas.

IceFox416 said...
I can see why you say this, especially if you like horror, action-adventure, or thrillers. This book is more of an emotional story, sort of an examination of the way humankind restricts themselves. It's a very colorless and bleak novel, which is another reason some people don't like it. But I think, to read this, you have to enjoy a slow-paced, more multi-layered story. Some people don't like stories like that, and I myself know how entertaining a good action story can be, but when you need a bo... (more »)

bookinatorTS said...
Oct. 12, 2011 at 10:48 am:
I agree, the Giver left me very frustrated and disappointed. Yes, the world that Lois Lowry created was cool, but a good ending wasn't there. Basicly all of my disappointment was because of the cliffhanger ending and a very predictable ending. 

angelicanXdreamer said...
I strongly disagree with your perspective. The book is a beautiful story with an amazing metaphor, it describes the life that we are all doomed to have, in fear of pain and sadness. Jonas being chosen for the special job get all the happiness he deserves and dreamt of but must deal with all of the pain. The message is strong that sometimes people who believe in order and not risking any potential sadness will have a boring unnecessary life, because they won't be able to experience it. The book w... (more »)

Youallfail replied...
Oct. 12, 2011 at 10:47 am :
I agree I liked this book. Jonas lived in a colorless, boring world where everyone was the same. That doesn't sound like a utopia to me! I wish Lois Lowry would have made the book end. Not end it with a cliff-hanger, that dissapointed me. I was so surprised when ever the book said they killed twins, and "relaesing" was killing people too. If I was Jonas I would have ran away also.

sasha1996 said...

i had to read this book in 7th grade. im not a picky reader. i thought the book was okay. i liked the message but i would hate to live where jonas lives.

CautionwetPaint said...
Oct. 10, 2011 at 9:29 am:

I can see where your coming from, especially if you enjoy action, adventure, or horror books. However the Giver is anything but mediocre, and predictable. it's defintely way more intricate and deep then your letting on, and because of it's plot is again, anything but predictable.

When I read it I was in sixth grade. I lived every minute of it though even though I didn't understand some lines. Whatever I didn't understand I asked about to be sure I followed. What I would suggest for you... (more »)

LilEgg said...
Oct. 10, 2011 at 6:46 am:
The book is really interesting actually and it's a series of books so you can't just read the Giver you have to read the other ones to understand everything.

Shadow said...
The Giver was boring

Hester said...
I read The Giver when I was in elementary school and loved it. I read it again as a school book in 7th grade. And loved it. In conclusion, this is a great book. ;p

TheWordSmith said...
Personally, The Giver is my all-time favorite book. I know everyone has their personal preferences, but perhaps if you used an online resource that thoroughly explained any confusing parts (example: SparkNotes), then you would be able to better appreciate the story. Just a suggestion :)

SunflowerState said...
 Why would you be negative about the book? You are supposed to give us details about the book, not how you didn't like it and I hear that it is a very good and interesting book.

WaffleManThing replied...
Dec. 13, 2011 at 9:08 pm :
true that!

Costa said...
I read The Giver last year for school and I loved it. I know that some people got a little confused about some of it, but that's the best part. Even though I didn't get confused while reading this—I only get confused when things actually make sense, if they are confusing themselves, then I won't get confused and I'll understand it perfectly...strange...—I still think that this was a great book. I think that you should reread it and try to find the true meaning of The Giver because th... (more »)

Taintedlove said...
This book was absoulutly beyond amazing. I can see close-minded people not liking it because their agraid of what is happening to society, but if you like it or not if we don't change our choices made in the goverment thats what is left to happen for genrations before someone has the guts to speak up and leave this horrible community.

ayeshamuzaffar This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Sept. 18, 2011 at 4:45 am:
I couldn't disagree more. I read this book 3 times and every time I felt an urge to read it again and that's a good thing.

WritersSpark said...
I read the Giver unopenedly (and maybe a bit unwillingly) as a project for school and was actually a bit surprised by its outcome. First of all, L.L was very creative and brave on the storyline, which I commend her for that, and she also opened my eyes brighter in the catagory of science fiction. At first the Giver did NOT appeal to me (from the dull grey cover of a bearded man to the vage description) but after getting into it, I became eager to enter the doors of 5th period English. As a fello... (more »)

Jessica112 replied...
Sept. 3, 2011 at 5:49 pm :
I agree! This was an awesome book!

Krystal27 said...
Jul. 22, 2011 at 7:22 am:
"The Giver," it's themes and the choices made by the society disturbed me deeply, so much so I even told people at work about it. For society to make a choice to opt for "sameness" and take it to the extents they had... I can't say I enjoyed The Giver but I can appreciate it for what it was. I felt some backstory would have been nice, and I wasn't entirely satisfied with the last chapter (the moment his "father" says Gabriele is being released, and onwards) but ending was brave and thought provo... (more »)