The Giver by Lois Lowry This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

After reading The Giver, I was left confused and disappointed. It seemed as if it would be interesting, but you can't judge a book by its cover. The contents were dull and predictable. Quite honestly, I wouldn't recommend it to any reader seeking a fine piece of literature. It just doesn't suffice.

The Giver is about a young boy named Jonas. He resides in a futuristic society in which each citizen is assigned a job, a spouse, and children. The children are born to mothers who will never get to see them. Trying not to give anymore away, I will only say that Jonas is assigned an important job and is challenged with the release of an innocent child. Jonas is left with the option of leaving his home, job, and family to save the child, or facing the harsh reality of his community and job, and enduring the release of the child.

This book was dreadful. I became more and more dissatisfied with each page. It was a waste of time and hardly made sense. I'll admit, there were a few interesting lines, but far too few to continue reading after the first chapter. Although I finished it, I regret doing so. It was, by far, the worst book I've ever picked up. It proved to be mediocre, no better than what the average person could conceive. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

Zavery_ said...
Jun. 15, 2011 at 6:25 pm:
It is a deep, unique and amazing book- that is the problem. It is confusing unless you invest every word deeply. Then, you can understand the true meaning. I respect your opinion, of course. We all are, but just a thought. Nice revieeeeew!   =D

windywillow said...
Jun. 14, 2011 at 10:47 am:
I for one adore The Giver. It has a message that you must look deep to find

Bumbleshree said...
Jun. 13, 2011 at 8:08 pm:
Think of it like this- every book has an ending. Lois Lowry went out of the box and one day you'll appreciate it.

Hippiealien said...
Jun. 13, 2011 at 1:34 pm:
this book was great,and not at all predictable. Sure,it would be nice to know the end lol but I did enjoy it and it was a interesting story plot.

ExpRESsY0uRselFThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jun. 8, 2011 at 8:47 pm:
Its almost impossible to predict that that would happen...so either you're psychic, or you're lying...I totally disagree, I read this book over 3 years ago, and I still love it and continue rereading it. I was enticed by how appealing the world Jonas lived in was...and if you're unsatisfied with the ending and have questions about it, read Gathering Blue. It kind of answers where Jonas went.

Kwigggggg said...
Jun. 7, 2011 at 9:50 pm:
I dissagree with you, the book was in no way predictible, and the ending was ambiguious. It left me thinking about it for days the first time I read it 4 years ago, and I read it again this year and fell in love with it all over again. It is a beautifully written novel and has so many greater implications within it. I think that every time I read it, I will take something different from it, and it's sure to be one of my favourites for years!

K.M.S.Shear said...
Jun. 3, 2011 at 8:49 am:
I loved it.

Fangstorm_The_Vampire said...
May 31, 2011 at 4:08 pm:
I loved this book! It was not predictable, and it was pleasant and meaningful.

Alyssalicious replied...
May 31, 2011 at 6:04 pm :
I agree! It was a good introduction for me into classic literature for an eighth grade Honors English class. I didn't appreciate it when I was younger, but now that I understand the symbolism and political connections, it was a really good book, even though the ending was short.

Fangstorm_The_Vampire replied...
Jun. 1, 2011 at 11:55 am :
Yeah I read this when I was ten. It is a great book, and now I am twelve, and still appreciate it.

BandGeek replied...
Jun. 2, 2011 at 11:51 am :
I loved this book too! And I read it about three years ago! I'm thinking about reading it again now....:)

andieyup This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
May 31, 2011 at 12:43 pm:
I just don't think you're mature enough understand the political symbolizm and the surreal beauty of it all. This is a heavy book. It's not at all predictable, and it completely genius and thought-provoking. 

glinda123 said...
May 20, 2011 at 11:29 am:
I loved this book! It is somewhat depressing, but shows that human nature will remain the same even when conditions are bad. The article would have been more effective if you had given reasons why you didn't like it, instead of just repeating yourself that it was terrible, you didn't like it, etc.

BeDifrnt replied...
May 28, 2011 at 9:36 pm :
i agree. We read it for our literature class and we were left a little confused at the end. But it was really good. (:

KitKat94 said...
May 11, 2011 at 1:46 pm:

I thoroughly enjoyed this book, and I know that it is an unpopular opinion (even among people that like the book), but I thought the ending was necessary.  In a sense it was the way that the book had to end.  The real merit behind the book is that is makes you think.

I can see how some people could just not like it, that is okay; some of the better stories in the world are the more controversial ones.  Dystopia books can often throw people for a loop.  It is ... (more »)

ExpRESsY0uRselFThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Jun. 8, 2011 at 8:48 pm :
As for where Jonas went, read Gathering Blue. It kinda answers that question.

RiverSong replied...
Jun. 22, 2011 at 10:45 am :
And after reading Gathering Blue, read The Messenger.  It explains what happened to Jonas even further.  I happen to love all three of the books.

SElisabeth said...
May 9, 2011 at 11:32 am:
Uh, this book was amazing, in my opinion. Sure, the ending left me a little confused, but overall, I thought it was fantastically creative.

jamikim replied...
May 9, 2011 at 6:02 pm :
i thought the same. the whole point in the ending of this book is to make up your own ending. you have to chose weater he dies, finds a new town that celbrated christmas, or he went in a circle and thats what happened when the memories returned. of corse, i read it in my class so the teacher explained the book. i think it was a good book.

Costa replied...
Sept. 18, 2011 at 11:19 pm :
I agree. We read this for English in 8th grade and we had to do a project fo it. I decided to write another chapter explaining what happened to Jonas and Gabriel