The Giver by Lois Lowry This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

After reading The Giver, I was left confused and disappointed. It seemed as if it would be interesting, but you can't judge a book by its cover. The contents were dull and predictable. Quite honestly, I wouldn't recommend it to any reader seeking a fine piece of literature. It just doesn't suffice.

The Giver is about a young boy named Jonas. He resides in a futuristic society in which each citizen is assigned a job, a spouse, and children. The children are born to mothers who will never get to see them. Trying not to give anymore away, I will only say that Jonas is assigned an important job and is challenged with the release of an innocent child. Jonas is left with the option of leaving his home, job, and family to save the child, or facing the harsh reality of his community and job, and enduring the release of the child.

This book was dreadful. I became more and more dissatisfied with each page. It was a waste of time and hardly made sense. I'll admit, there were a few interesting lines, but far too few to continue reading after the first chapter. Although I finished it, I regret doing so. It was, by far, the worst book I've ever picked up. It proved to be mediocre, no better than what the average person could conceive. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

kewlbeans41 said...
Jul. 2, 2011 at 4:40 pm:
i totally disagree wit the writer of this review. i loved the giver and pratically spent all nite reading it and while its not fastpased its still well written. i think that lois lowry is a damn good author.

abnormal said...
Jun. 26, 2011 at 8:17 pm:
I'm in a completely different boat!  I've read the giver multiple times and it has left me a lot to ponder over.  It may not be an action-packed book, but it still meets the standards of intersting

I LIKE PIE replied...
Jul. 8, 2011 at 1:44 pm :
I thimk you were expecting it to be a 'event book', but really, The Giver wasn't about what happened; it was about the ideas the author had about our world. It was a book about how great our world is and how we should be greatful.

bridget1 replied...
Jul. 24, 2011 at 4:47 pm :
I competely agree that it was about being grateful for our world. I also think the author was trying to convey to the reader how important it is to be unique and at least a little different than everyone else rather than trying to be the same.

rockyraccoon said...
Jun. 26, 2011 at 12:47 am:
I disagree this book while not exactly fast paced was still quite interesting and also this book was fairly original no hoverboards or flying cars and such.

RhythmAndRhyme said...
Jun. 25, 2011 at 1:27 pm:
I totally and completely disagree with you and this whole article. The book is extremely well written, in my eyes, and is quite the cautionary tale. I'm sorry that you didn't enjoy it as much as you could have, and I wish you would give it a second chance...maybe read it again, but with new eyes! Try to find the good things in it as you sweep over each line, the things other people might like about a book like this.

caitieb said...
Jun. 25, 2011 at 8:33 am:
The giver was amazing and well plotted maybe its too politically educating

luckyirishgirl37 said...
Jun. 24, 2011 at 5:22 pm:
I must say I completely disagree with everything said in this article.

Nellie21 said...
Jun. 22, 2011 at 10:38 pm:
I disagree a lot actually!!!!! This book was amazing i've read it about 5 times and i was still amazed at how an author can come up with a story like this. But i respect your opinion. 

baNANnan said...
Jun. 22, 2011 at 9:30 pm:
I guess so. And I have to respect that opinon I guess... 

Anna S. said...
Jun. 22, 2011 at 4:44 pm:
I also disagreed. i read this for summer reading for school, and LOVED it. in fact, it opened up my intrest in dystopias and dystopian is now my favorite genre. i was a beautiful book, even though i took a while to get into. does anyone know if there's a sequel?

quentin-arehart replied...
Jun. 22, 2011 at 8:40 pm :
I read The Giver a couple of times, and thought is t was good. You have to just understand what it's going for. I can't explain it, maybe some just like it better than others :)

DreamingOurWorld said...
Jun. 22, 2011 at 1:42 pm:
Your review was very short. Maybe you could expand a little bit? I read the book and I loved it. You never really gave us reasons for why it was so bad. Maybe then, I could understand your point of view, but until then, I really don't understand why you don't like The Giver. It was a beautiful book, and I fell in love with it the first time I picked it up.

Zavery_ said...
Jun. 15, 2011 at 6:25 pm:
It is a deep, unique and amazing book- that is the problem. It is confusing unless you invest every word deeply. Then, you can understand the true meaning. I respect your opinion, of course. We all are, but just a thought. Nice revieeeeew!   =D

windywillow said...
Jun. 14, 2011 at 10:47 am:
I for one adore The Giver. It has a message that you must look deep to find

Bumbleshree said...
Jun. 13, 2011 at 8:08 pm:
Think of it like this- every book has an ending. Lois Lowry went out of the box and one day you'll appreciate it.

Hippiealien said...
Jun. 13, 2011 at 1:34 pm:
this book was great,and not at all predictable. Sure,it would be nice to know the end lol but I did enjoy it and it was a interesting story plot.

ExpRESsY0uRselF said...
Jun. 8, 2011 at 8:47 pm:
Its almost impossible to predict that that would happen...so either you're psychic, or you're lying...I totally disagree, I read this book over 3 years ago, and I still love it and continue rereading it. I was enticed by how appealing the world Jonas lived in was...and if you're unsatisfied with the ending and have questions about it, read Gathering Blue. It kind of answers where Jonas went.

Kwigggggg said...
Jun. 7, 2011 at 9:50 pm:
I dissagree with you, the book was in no way predictible, and the ending was ambiguious. It left me thinking about it for days the first time I read it 4 years ago, and I read it again this year and fell in love with it all over again. It is a beautifully written novel and has so many greater implications within it. I think that every time I read it, I will take something different from it, and it's sure to be one of my favourites for years!

K.M.S.Shear said...
Jun. 3, 2011 at 8:49 am:
I loved it.