The Giver by Lois Lowry This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

After reading The Giver, I was left confused and disappointed. It seemed as if it would be interesting, but you can't judge a book by its cover. The contents were dull and predictable. Quite honestly, I wouldn't recommend it to any reader seeking a fine piece of literature. It just doesn't suffice.

The Giver is about a young boy named Jonas. He resides in a futuristic society in which each citizen is assigned a job, a spouse, and children. The children are born to mothers who will never get to see them. Trying not to give anymore away, I will only say that Jonas is assigned an important job and is challenged with the release of an innocent child. Jonas is left with the option of leaving his home, job, and family to save the child, or facing the harsh reality of his community and job, and enduring the release of the child.

This book was dreadful. I became more and more dissatisfied with each page. It was a waste of time and hardly made sense. I'll admit, there were a few interesting lines, but far too few to continue reading after the first chapter. Although I finished it, I regret doing so. It was, by far, the worst book I've ever picked up. It proved to be mediocre, no better than what the average person could conceive. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

half.noteThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
I completely DISAGREE! I won this book in a draw at a library this summer and finally got around to reading it. That's one choice I'll never regret! Though lacking the modern violence and non-stop action we come to expect, I thought it was great. It was kind of laid-back, but always kept you wondering. Everything was subtle yet thrilling. I really enjoyed the plot, the characters, and the message. It's an amazing dystopian novel that was around even before the Hunger Games. I do realize ... (more »)

I LOVE THIS BOOK replied...
Jan. 6, 2012 at 12:42 pm :
I totally agree with you. I was always reluctant to read this book but when my school assigned it and I was forced to read it, i fell in love. I fell in love with Jonas, Gabriel, and this book!! This book it amazing and always kept me wondering.

LadyRose said...
I read this book a while back, and I honestly have to disagree with your point that this book is a terrible one. Its a great piece of liturature in my opinion, with a message that lies not in the action. It had me hooked throughout the entire story, and is much better than some other books I have read. this book is absolutely worth reading.

pitt98 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Dec. 28, 2011 at 11:28 am :
Great comment, i agree with you.

Wordfisher replied...
Dec. 28, 2011 at 1:23 pm :
Same here, this was one of my favorite books ever. It did leave me hanging, but that's sorta why I liked it.

DarkMountain said...
If you read this book solely for action and thrills, you WILL be disappointed (except in a few spots). As much as anything this book is a social commentary- its worth lies in the political, social, and humanitarian implications. If you are bored or confused while reading this book you are reading it wrong.

selenagfan said...
I read that book too, and it really wasn't that good.

Emerson said...
Dec. 15, 2011 at 6:06 am:

i read this book and i loved it. it has a lot of substance in it that many don't appreciat though... he has sequel books to this, read them and see if you like them, as i did.

Wordfisher replied...
Dec. 28, 2011 at 1:24 pm :
What are they called? I would love to read them!

AmbrehhhsArt said...
Honestly, I wasn't enthusiastic to read this book, but I'm glad I did. I agree, it has it's slow points but when it picks up, it's amazing. I love this book. It's honestly one of my favorite books.

WaffleManThing said...
this is a great book and u who does not think so! read the comments people loved this book i have it in my top 5 :)

Emerson replied...
Dec. 15, 2011 at 6:06 am :
i put it on my top 5 as well.

hannahmunchy said...
Are you kidding?! This book was incredible!!!! It is definitely one of my favorite books of all time. (see my profile). I loved it--the writing was phenomenal, and the story was the most creative, innovative, and moving that I have ever read. I strongly disagree with the author of this review.

inadaze said...
Nov. 23, 2011 at 12:10 am:
You MUST read the other two sequels. Gathering Blue and The Messenger. Ties it all up!

AFreeSpirit9714This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Dec. 1, 2011 at 10:59 pm :

There's more to the story?? I never knew that! Which came after the Giver, first, Gathering Blue, or The Messenger?

Thanks for telling!

Inadaze replied...
Dec. 2, 2011 at 4:52 pm :
Gathering blue and then The Messenger! And yes, there is sooo much more to the story:)

Wordfisher replied...
Dec. 28, 2011 at 1:25 pm :
Oh my goodness, thank you so much for the titles. I am going to my library soon and I will check them out!

MargaretM.. said...
I LOVE THIS BOOk! We were assigned in school the cover l;ooks so boring for a 7th grader to read but i loved it.It looks boring but you have to concentrate or yoou'll get confused.It about a world where it has never seen snowed and  everybody sees in black and white and they don't make their own choices.Except the giver who sees color and knows the knowledge of the world, which is the job the main charcater is assigned.

TheInvisibleGirl said...

I have to say that I completely disagree with your opinion.  Of course, everyone does get their own opinion, but I think that you had to broaden your imagination and views to be able to get the book deply enough to like it.

ALthough I did hate the ending, but I kinda loved it.  I just feel like Lowry was done wrting it and wanted it to be over by then.

Gathering Blue the sequel (maybe the prequel) was so amazing though!

alanna_mccThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I couldn't disagree more with this review. This is one of my favorite books. You were disappointed because you didn't understand the undrelying messages and the puzzling ideas contained in The Giver's pages. You just don't appreciate Lois Lowry's BEAUTIFUL writing. Yes, the end is dissatisfying, but that's because it isn't written word for word. You get to interpret what happens to Jonas.