The Giver by Lois Lowry | Teen Ink

The Giver by Lois Lowry MAG

By Bapalapa2 ELITE, Brooklyn, New York
Bapalapa2 ELITE, Brooklyn, New York

After reading The Giver, I was left confused and disappointed. It seemed as if it would be interesting, but you can't judge a book by its cover. The contents were dull and predictable. Quite honestly, I wouldn't recommend it to any reader seeking a fine piece of literature. It just doesn't suffice.

The Giver is about a young boy named Jonas. He resides in a futuristic society in which each citizen is assigned a job, a spouse, and children. The children are born to mothers who will never get to see them. Trying not to give anymore away, I will only say that Jonas is assigned an important job and is challenged with the release of an innocent child. Jonas is left with the option of leaving his home, job, and family to save the child, or facing the harsh reality of his community and job, and enduring the release of the child.

This book was dreadful. I became more and more dissatisfied with each page. It was a waste of time and hardly made sense. I'll admit, there were a few interesting lines, but far too few to continue reading after the first chapter. Although I finished it, I regret doing so. It was, by far, the worst book I've ever picked up. It proved to be mediocre, no better than what the average person could conceive. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

Queenbee316 BRONZE, Spanish Fork, Utah

"I could give up, I could stay stuck, or I could move on" ~David Archuleta

I am torn whether I liked this book or not. I did feel like it was a bit dull and I could tell what was coming next, but, I do feel that this book had a good Moral to it and was also inspiring. Jonas had to give up everything he had, his family, his job, and the safety of his home and community. You have got to have quite the amount of courage to do that! But, then again, I got really bored of the plot after awhile. I would recommend this book to people who like to read books like this, but never to someone who likes action packed adventure like myself.

mysteryone SILVER, Auburn, Alabama
I've found this review very interesting, but I disagree. I believe Jonas left the community, not only for Gabe, but for "everyone". It pained Jonas to think his family and friends could never experience the vibrancy of life nor the depth of emotions. For these reasons, Jonas chose to leave. Contrary to everyone's confusion, the sled depicted a new life for Jonas. It'd become one filled with colors and feelings. Meanwhile,the sled was a vehicle to carry him to that new beginning.

EllieMayB BRONZE, Medford, Oregon

"What the world fails to realize it that villains are just a victim whose story hasn't yet been told." The Land of Stories.

Um.... I read the whole Giver Series and loved it! I didn't really want to read it at first, but my mom said I should. I have read the whole series twice, and it never gets old. I loved it! You should give it try.

ArtFowlerAkkey BRONZE, Auburn, Washington

​Maybe you're a lot weaker than we thought you were... but I feel that you're much, much stronger than you consider yourself to be - Oz

Hey! I read this review and thought that I wanted to reply, so here goes: First off, you have given zero basis for your idea that this is a predictable story. What part of it was predictable? Why did you think so? Do you think it's something that you predicted, but the average man could not? When writing a review, especially a review on a Prize winner and classic, you're going to need to back your thoughts. As it stands, all your paper is right now is an opinion paper. For example: 'I knew from the beginning that they could only see in black and white. It was so obvious, because that's the only connection between the skin and the apple. Therefore, Fiona's hair was obviously red.' I did not realize this until it was revealed, honestly. I really don't know if anyone short of Oreki could have put those together. Saying something without hard backup from the book itself is an opinion. Ex: 'I hate Harry Potter because it is just so stupid. The characters are so cliche and idiotic. I mean, how unimaginative can you get, Rowling?' Naturally, this isn't true. Harry Potter is awesome. Secondly, this is actually a very imaginative book, especially in a time where fiction selections were so limited. In today's culture, it can be said that everything has already been thought of. In a few decades, it will be said that everything has been written down (most likely, I'm guessing). Most people have a hard time imagining a world without color. It may have been similar to imagining e-mails back then. So I think it is fair to say that this is a very original book for it's time. Thirdly, you have to take into account the skill with which the writer portrays the story. He's very talented in making the conversations seem natural and easy. This is especially true for the family conversation scenes, where the teenager is facing a similar dilemma to that of this world's teen when he struggles with lying to his family. The author is also very good at withholding information until the right moment. He's good at portraying the different emotions in Jonas as her feels these new experiences and explores the new world open to him. Both of these skills really help the story along. I'd also like to say that I love your summary of the story, which is short and precise. Good job. Hopefully, I'll run into you again!

justmyexistentialthoughts GOLD, Cumberland, Rhode Island

"You can't make great stuff until you've made good stuff, you can't make good stuff until you make alright stuff, and you can't make alright stuff until you've made pretty bad stuff." - P.J. Liguori

I think you may have missed the point- it's less about the story and more about the meaning behind it, which deals with the importance of emotion and free will and the dangers of giving up our freedom for security. The book was written at a fairly low level, so I can agree with and understand your discontent with its writing and style, but the novel does have some worth. The Giver is not meant to be an exceptionally good story, but to convey a message, so I think if you go back and look at it from a more symbolic point of view, you might like and understand it a little bit better. @Bapalapa2

on Aug. 4 2015 at 9:16 am
simple_effect SILVER, Franklin Park, New Jersey

"Security is a superstition; it does not exist in nature. Life is either one daring adventure or nothing." ~Helen Keller

I am stuck at a two way street with The Giver. Half of me wants to say that it is such an acclaimed novel because of the messages behind it, not to mention it is a dystopian classic. The other half is in agreement with the review writer. I thought Lois Lowry did a good job developing the story, but the only reason I continued to read it was because it was a required novel for school.

SomeoneMagical PLATINUM, Durham, New Hampshire

N.R.Anon PLATINUM, Ayer, Massachusetts

"Don't be like so many writers, don't be like so many thousands of people who call themselves writers." (Charles Bukowski, So You Want to be a Writer)

Excellent review, but why did you dislike it so much? Your review could use more development-but your writing is brilliant!

This is an excellent book and will give you plenty to think about. I was rather confused with the ending and would have been happier with a different one, but it is, of course, the writer's privilege to choose. But why does he suddenly come across the sled and the hill at the very end? It DOESN'T MATTER IF THE STORYLINE IS WEAK because the THE STRENGTH OF THE BOOK IS IN THE IDEAS AND THE COMMUNITY WHICH THE WRITER HAS CREATED.

RemusPenn SILVER, Tuttle, Oklahoma

"Everyone is eventually sorted into one of two groups: those with a dream worth dying for, and those with a death worth dreaming of."

-Me

I have to say that I completely disagree. The Giver was written with a wonderful voice, the words were crafted expertly, and the plot was riveting. I never once found it to be boring or dull in any way, and I honestly feel you weren't really READING it. They don't give the Newberry Medal to any book, you know.

jaydaug BRONZE said...
on May. 20 2015 at 7:54 am
jaydaug BRONZE, Sacramento, California

"A coward dies a thousand deaths, a soldier die but once." -Tupac Shakur

My sixth grade teacher made my class do the same thing, for the same reasons. I was wondering if you were one of the students in that class.

thecritizer1 said...
on Apr. 27 2015 at 9:49 am
@thecritisizer hey ive read every book in the world

thecommenter said...
on Apr. 22 2015 at 10:50 am
this book was amazing I liked it I don't agree with the writer I thought it was really good I would recommend the book to every one but when we stop reading it made me want to read on I don't like your review don't be so mean that person worked hard to entertain us so don't be that way write a better review

on Apr. 22 2015 at 10:47 am
this book waz amazane and I totally disagree with your opinion. I would recommened this book to every one by the way I am disappointed with your review and I disliked it so get your mind straight

Jessica said...
on Apr. 22 2015 at 10:42 am
I agree with you the book sucked

nishka9 BRONZE said...
nishka9 BRONZE, Santa Clara, California

"True friendship comes when silence between two people is comfortable."
-Dave Tyson Gentry.

@SophieSchnitzel I completely agree with you, although your opinion on "raising questions" differs for me since I thought Divergent and The Hunger Games were rather intriguing to me and did raise questions. The romance in each was a bit overpowering for the main point of theme behind them, I have to admit that.

Denisa said...
I completely agree with you and I remember reading this in 8th grade and hating it; however I wasn’t the only one, in fact most of the kids in my grade hated the book. I think it’s mainly because when you’re that young and forced to read a book you automatically lose interest even more. But recently I re-read it and actually found myself…still hating it. I agree that this novel was boring and what I disliked the most about it was the ending. It left me feeling disappointed and kind of angry because I wanted so badly to know what happened to Jonas and the baby.

LegendKeeper DIAMOND, Unadilla, New York

"What is impossible with man is possible with God." Luke 18:27

Admittedly, the style needed work, and Jonas seemed a bit young to be experiencing some of the situations, and the plot itself was confusing, but it's a good wake up call. Honestly, it seems as if what we are experiencing in this age is a 'watered-down' version of what is portrayed. So yes, the book is someone hard to read, but the lesson is important too. (We just shouldn't abuse style for lesson)

catty98e GOLD said...
catty98e GOLD, Spring HIll, Kansas

"I'm a freak, I've been a freak my whole life. I just have to live with it, you know. I'm just one of those people. I'm not going to change the way I think or the way I feel to conform to anything."
-John Winston Lennon (1940-1980)

I love this book very much, I read it in seventh grade and it was very insightful and twisting. but, i do respect your opinion

SophieFloph PLATINUM, Seattle, Washington

"Her stomach did a revengeful flop."

The Giver was a REAL dystopian book. The most important thing for me in dystopian literature is to raise questions and The Giver did that. The problem with The Hunger Games and Divergent is that IT DIDN'T RAISE QUESTIONS AT ALL. I liked the Hunger Games and hated Divergent with a burning passion (sorry) but I was disappointed by both in that they didn't raise questions. They were barely dystopias. Well, they WERE dystopias, but all Divergent was for me was a romance (with dystopia in the background). YA dystopias these days are all "dystomances" and I HATE IT SO MUCH. What I like about The Giver is that it didn't have that. They put some in the movie, and even though it wasn't very true to the book I liked the movie because it raised lots of questions...Sorry, I got a little too into it. As you can probably tell, this is not the first time I've ranted about dystopias and the YA shelf of the library. Anyway.