The Giver by Lois Lowry This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

After reading The Giver, I was left confused and disappointed. It seemed as if it would be interesting, but you can't judge a book by its cover. The contents were dull and predictable. Quite honestly, I wouldn't recommend it to any reader seeking a fine piece of literature. It just doesn't suffice.

The Giver is about a young boy named Jonas. He resides in a futuristic society in which each citizen is assigned a job, a spouse, and children. The children are born to mothers who will never get to see them. Trying not to give anymore away, I will only say that Jonas is assigned an important job and is challenged with the release of an innocent child. Jonas is left with the option of leaving his home, job, and family to save the child, or facing the harsh reality of his community and job, and enduring the release of the child.

This book was dreadful. I became more and more dissatisfied with each page. It was a waste of time and hardly made sense. I'll admit, there were a few interesting lines, but far too few to continue reading after the first chapter. Although I finished it, I regret doing so. It was, by far, the worst book I've ever picked up. It proved to be mediocre, no better than what the average person could conceive. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

Brittmiller said...
May 1, 2013 at 9:00 am
There are many other books after it if you read all of them it may make more sense to you.

Bluetooth13This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
woah! hold up. This book is 100% pure awesome. I higly recomend it. Also, im pretty new. Please check out my work :)

tuckertwin12 said...
I would highly recommend this book to anyone. It had a great message, was easy to understand, and was marvelously written. Definitely read it!

TexTgr said...
Your review is baseless; you provide no evidence to back up your claims.  Until you can come up with something substantial, I, along with the rest of the reviewers who have actually read and understood the book, will continue to praise the story which opened the eyes of millions of readers to what a dystopian society looks like (18 years before The Hunger Games), and the decisions The Community made to take it there. What does it mean to be a human being?  Based on ... (more »)

srw17 said...
I read this book in 5th grade. The true meaning of the story was easy to understand and it was well written.

lamismaestrella This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I find it amazing how diverse two people can be in their opinions. I, for one, thought this book was fantastic. Perhaps it is merely sentimental - after all, I first read this book in fourth grade, and again four years later for an English assignment. I've devoured the other books by the author, and most recently finished the last book in the Giver quartet. With the exception of Harry Potter (as, let's be honest, Harry Potter for me comes out on top no matter the category ), if there&#... (more »)

LarkbirdThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
I cannot agree with you more. I have also read the quartet and have found that the workings that the author undertakes in combining the books is simply remarkable. And i cannot say that The Giver by itself is a dull read either. It, like all the other books, gives us some of the best thought out symbolism and makes it readable to children. 

FemmeGeek This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I cannot agree with a single sentence in this review.

RazzieThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Feb. 18, 2013 at 9:55 am
Oh my goodness! I love this book and recomend to everyonr :)

KayleneBThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
I finished this book last year and I thought it was fantastic.  I loved this book all the way up until the end.  This book doesnt have a clear ending.  I had to decide how it was going to end, even though I had no clue how it would end.  Other than that I LOVED the book. 

BookLover128 said...
Hey, Bapalapa2! I just finished reading the quartet (yes, there are four books), and I thought it was great. However, I felt the same way you did after I finished the Giver. I looked further and found the other three. After reading those, I felt like the majority of the questions I had were answered and I liked the ending. I think that overall, they're fantastic! By the way, your review was written very well, and I appreciate your thoughts.

the_chris_218 said...
I found The Giver to be really well written, but also very confusing, especially toward the end. At the end a lot of readers find themselves confused. I won't spoil it, but I do think you will find yourself confused at the end of the book, and I think thats how its intended

the_chris_218 said...
I found The Giver to be really well written, but also very confusing, especially toward the end. At the end a lot of readers find themselves confused. I won't spoil it, but I do think you will find yourself confused at the end of the book, and I think that's how its intended

lanham32 said...
what genre

ConstanceContraireThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Dec. 25, 2012 at 12:31 am
What are you talking about I read the book in 5th grade and I understood it and loved it. It was written beautifully.

18rabbit283 replied...
The Giver is my absolute favorite book. I have probably read it ten or more times. I disagree with the review; I thought Lois Lowry did a wonderful job.

ConstanceContraireThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Did you read all of the books in the series? They were all AMAZING :) My favorite was Son.

o......... said...
crazy dudes

Kaycee A. said...
Dec. 5, 2012 at 9:19 am
i agree, as such we are reading it in my english class. the book is way confuising and doesnt make sense.

kitties4eva said...
i think this book is very mysterious and wicked weird. I   dont really understand this book but i do recommend it too other people