The Giver by Lois Lowry This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

After reading The Giver, I was left confused and disappointed. It seemed as if it would be interesting, but you can't judge a book by its cover. The contents were dull and predictable. Quite honestly, I wouldn't recommend it to any reader seeking a fine piece of literature. It just doesn't suffice.

The Giver is about a young boy named Jonas. He resides in a futuristic society in which each citizen is assigned a job, a spouse, and children. The children are born to mothers who will never get to see them. Trying not to give anymore away, I will only say that Jonas is assigned an important job and is challenged with the release of an innocent child. Jonas is left with the option of leaving his home, job, and family to save the child, or facing the harsh reality of his community and job, and enduring the release of the child.

This book was dreadful. I became more and more dissatisfied with each page. It was a waste of time and hardly made sense. I'll admit, there were a few interesting lines, but far too few to continue reading after the first chapter. Although I finished it, I regret doing so. It was, by far, the worst book I've ever picked up. It proved to be mediocre, no better than what the average person could conceive. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

the_chris_218 said...
Feb. 5, 2013 at 2:26 pm:
I found The Giver to be really well written, but also very confusing, especially toward the end. At the end a lot of readers find themselves confused. I won't spoil it, but I do think you will find yourself confused at the end of the book, and I think that's how its intended

lanham32 said...
what genre

ConstanceContraireThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Dec. 25, 2012 at 12:31 am:
What are you talking about I read the book in 5th grade and I understood it and loved it. It was written beautifully.

18rabbit283 replied...
Jan. 23, 2013 at 3:55 pm :
The Giver is my absolute favorite book. I have probably read it ten or more times. I disagree with the review; I thought Lois Lowry did a wonderful job.

ConstanceContraireThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Jul. 1 at 3:39 pm :
Did you read all of the books in the series? They were all AMAZING :) My favorite was Son.

o......... said...
crazy dudes

Kaycee A. said...
Dec. 5, 2012 at 9:19 am:
i agree, as such we are reading it in my english class. the book is way confuising and doesnt make sense.

kitties4eva said...
i think this book is very mysterious and wicked weird. I   dont really understand this book but i do recommend it too other people

wgwkegjhewh said...
The Giver is actually a good book so far.  I am on chapter 4 and it is a very interesting story about a utopian community.

rjjytri said...
I liked this book a lot! 

wqhqwbgtqbg said...
This book was interesting.  I really liked it because it was an easy read and not hard to follow.  It fits the ages 12 and up

i.e.mikey123 said...
i think the book is very good. It's full of philosophy and unanswered questions.This eutopian society as a whole is perfect, but each individual person is not.This society did not choos perfection, but was forced into it.I'd suggest it to anyone who enjoys philosophy and the future.

UnknownReaders said...
Nov. 15, 2012 at 9:39 am:
I think its a very interesting book to read. I honestly disagree with you because you shouldn't juge a book by its cover. there are also other series of books by this author.

SharplyDull said...
Nov. 14, 2012 at 9:47 am:
Ummm, DreamingOutQuiet, if it was not two dimensional, then there would be no way that you could read and understand the true point of the book; how society should not be.

SharplyDull said...
Nov. 14, 2012 at 9:43 am:
Books such as these (e.g. The Anthem, The Fountainhead, and Atlas Shrugged) they are more than just what you read.  Its a philisophical rollercoaster.  You delve into the contents and form you opinion of the matter.  The ending and even the contents are not the main point.  It is someones philosophy and ideals; put into a book form.  Some people write books for others to enjoy, and others write books for themselves to enjoy; and others to learn from.

CammyS said...
Nov. 10, 2012 at 7:23 am:
Well, everyone is intitled to their own opinion, but I thought the Giver was one of the best books I ever read. I loved how I had to read it over and over (since I do that anyway) and each time I read I discovered something I hadn't seen before. And I personally loved the unanswered questions. They made me think after the book, which is a lot more fun than just saying "well, the book's done. they told us absolutely everything there is to know, so let's go read another one!&... (more »)

ChobaniLuvinPenguin This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I must compliment you on your review and the way in which you express your strong opinion, even though my views may be different. Regardless, you did a great job and it was interesting for me to see the other side of the coin. :)

unicorn rainbows said...
in my opinion this book is really good it is imaginative, they explain everything with good deatail the only bad part is the ending... not a good ending

BANNANAMAN said...
i thought this book was AWSEOME, and you should be less critizising!! BANNANA MAN

. said...
This is the book that made me want to read all the time! I love this book with a passion. Also Your writing is bland and predictable, spice it up next time. Maybe you could take some ques from a book I love called The Giver :/