The Giver by Lois Lowry This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

After reading The Giver, I was left confused and disappointed. It seemed as if it would be interesting, but you can't judge a book by its cover. The contents were dull and predictable. Quite honestly, I wouldn't recommend it to any reader seeking a fine piece of literature. It just doesn't suffice.

The Giver is about a young boy named Jonas. He resides in a futuristic society in which each citizen is assigned a job, a spouse, and children. The children are born to mothers who will never get to see them. Trying not to give anymore away, I will only say that Jonas is assigned an important job and is challenged with the release of an innocent child. Jonas is left with the option of leaving his home, job, and family to save the child, or facing the harsh reality of his community and job, and enduring the release of the child.

This book was dreadful. I became more and more dissatisfied with each page. It was a waste of time and hardly made sense. I'll admit, there were a few interesting lines, but far too few to continue reading after the first chapter. Although I finished it, I regret doing so. It was, by far, the worst book I've ever picked up. It proved to be mediocre, no better than what the average person could conceive. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

EtherealThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Feb. 19, 2012 at 11:20 am:
The giver is one of my favorite books ever- I love dystopian society books, and though it was on a reading list and I thought it would be boring, I found myself eating it up! I disagree with this review.

ElkieLion This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 13, 2012 at 9:47 pm:
Huh. I remember liking it.

KatsviewThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 12, 2012 at 4:07 pm:
I guess you haven't read Little House on the Prarie then. Jokes aside, The Giver is a really good book, and I highly recommend it.

alemx said...
Feb. 6, 2012 at 4:14 pm:
I loved this book! I think that you need to reread it, and focus more on the meanings, than on the plot. I was fascinated by the way the took out color.

Katrini replied...
Feb. 6, 2012 at 4:18 pm :
So true, alemx, I really enjoyed this book and I think it was written in a great style

crazyboy6 said...
Feb. 6, 2012 at 4:08 pm:
hi kate its colton

Katrini replied...
Feb. 6, 2012 at 4:18 pm :
What a fitting user name!

kcunning44 said...
Feb. 6, 2012 at 4:04 pm:
I disagree with you. I think this book is one of the best books I have ever read. I loved how the end was sudden, and a cliffhanger. Every time I reread this book I think about what happens to Jonah and it stays with me for days. This is the point of literature; to make you think.

3va101 said...
Feb. 3, 2012 at 8:24 pm:
i know what yoou mean when u felt disappointed at then because the story was just hanging there but i discussed this with my teacher and i finally realized the author did this to make sure the reader keeps thinking about what's gonna happen next the author want u to keep thinking about the book!

yankeesgirl14 said...
I disagree with all of you this was a good book you just had to dig in deep to find the true story. There are two follow up books. Yes it was slow at first and the book is sad and depressing but interesting

RoxiMaiThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
I agree. I was forced to read this book for a book report and was greatly disappointed. I usually am okay with ambiguous ending but this one left me hanging, needing to know more.

FrozenInChaos said...
I somewhat enjoyed this book wen it was read to me by one of my favorite teachers last year. It was not as bad as you say, though it was a bit confusing.

bookitup123 said...
Jan. 23, 2012 at 10:18 am:
ok so who can answer this question for me... why should the younger generation read "the Giver"? btw i loved this book :)

brittbear12 said...
I have to say I completely disagree with what you said. The Giver takes place in a "so-called" Utopia. They try to control everything that is going on to maintain that image of a perfect society. Jonas is given one of the most important jobs in his community. Throughout the story Jonas discovers all the thing that the rulers of the community are doing that only certain people know about. As for the ending, she leaves it so you can guess what you think happens. But in the book, "The Messenger", ... (more »)

ElvenGirl4Ever replied...
Jan. 28, 2012 at 9:05 am :
I completely disagree, I loved this book it was amazing! I don't know what you got from it but From what I understood it was completely original, and unpredictable!

Bookworm1997 said...
I completely agree with this. The Giver really was a disappointment. We had to read it in my class, and it was a good concept but it fell through.

IlovedracoandItalytoomuch said...
I have to agree with this article, and the end was too fast. The most epic part of the book was only 2 chapters long, while we get endless boring chapters in the beginning

FrenchHippieThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
I'm sorry, but I have to disagree. I have read this book countless times and it continues to amaze me. The symbolism of Jonas's society devoid of differentiation, choice or even color shows us the importance of all those things in life. Also, the enlightenment Jonas gained about family and love professs a simple beauty. I love this book and I think that everyone should read it. As for the clifhanger ending, there's more books in the series and your also have imagination to carry you. People are ... (more »)

GhrenqiThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
I couldn't agree with the reviewer more, especially about the ending. It just left off, and it was very unclear. The entire novel was flat. There were hardly any descriptions, and it just flashed around. I certainly would not recommend this.

writereadlove This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I read this book last year in school and while it's not one of my favorites, I did find it intriguing. I liked the dystopian society, but not the ending. I'm not usually a fan of cliffhangers. :P