The Giver by Lois Lowry This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

After reading The Giver, I was left confused and disappointed. It seemed as if it would be interesting, but you can't judge a book by its cover. The contents were dull and predictable. Quite honestly, I wouldn't recommend it to any reader seeking a fine piece of literature. It just doesn't suffice.

The Giver is about a young boy named Jonas. He resides in a futuristic society in which each citizen is assigned a job, a spouse, and children. The children are born to mothers who will never get to see them. Trying not to give anymore away, I will only say that Jonas is assigned an important job and is challenged with the release of an innocent child. Jonas is left with the option of leaving his home, job, and family to save the child, or facing the harsh reality of his community and job, and enduring the release of the child.

This book was dreadful. I became more and more dissatisfied with each page. It was a waste of time and hardly made sense. I'll admit, there were a few interesting lines, but far too few to continue reading after the first chapter. Although I finished it, I regret doing so. It was, by far, the worst book I've ever picked up. It proved to be mediocre, no better than what the average person could conceive. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

cutie pie said...
Mar. 20, 2012 at 12:13 pm:
well i do agree i read this in six grade and in eighth grade. we even wrote to the author n she wrote back.i loved it. at the end it will have you confused.

owlover1 said...
Mar. 19, 2012 at 4:47 pm:
I actually think is is a great yet sad book. I am very suprised about what negative comments these people give about this book

iamthebest replied...
Apr. 3, 2012 at 6:20 am :
I definitely agree with owlover1. The book was a bit confusing but sad. It was set in a different world. but i must say I really liked it

neeya f'n bhad said...
Mar. 19, 2012 at 10:52 am:
well to me i agree with what she saiid because you cant judge a book by it cover and on top of that i was left confused n maybe you would see what she talkin bout if you read the book again but slow.

deus-ex-machina14 said...
Mar. 17, 2012 at 7:40 am:
I remember reading this book in sixth grade. I have to say, at the time, I was a little confused, as well. But after pondering the end for a while, I began to appreciate it more. It is a decent book in my view. I'm sorry to say, I disagree with this review.

swcricket98 said...
Feb. 24, 2012 at 12:32 am:
I would have to say that I disagree with this review. I feel like it was a close-minded viewpoint, as this book, to me, was a very figurative piece. Perceive it as you may, but it was far from uninteresting and was not as dreadful as you make it sound.

KendisPiper This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 19, 2012 at 9:33 pm:
With all due respect, i strongly disagree with this review. While the plot line may not have been as exciting as the hunger games, for example; it grew in complexity and charecter development with every page. The society was a very original concept, eliminating colour, music, animals, landscape, and introducing a drug to eliminate love. I found it got my brain working and kept me compelled the whole time. While the ending was a bit confusing, there are two others in the series to explain it, if ... (more »)

WritersArt said...
Feb. 19, 2012 at 4:11 pm:
This book happens to be considered a great, classic, beautiful piece of literature. I loved it! I believe it takes a very sophisticated viewpoint to really understand it, and Lois Lowry wanted everyone to be able to interpret it in their own way. It's a very mature style of writing, so if you don't appreciate beauty, I can understand why you wouldn't like it. But I thought it was pure art.

EtherealThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 19, 2012 at 11:20 am:
The giver is one of my favorite books ever- I love dystopian society books, and though it was on a reading list and I thought it would be boring, I found myself eating it up! I disagree with this review.

ElkieLion This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 13, 2012 at 9:47 pm:
Huh. I remember liking it.

KatsviewThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 12, 2012 at 4:07 pm:
I guess you haven't read Little House on the Prarie then. Jokes aside, The Giver is a really good book, and I highly recommend it.

alemx said...
Feb. 6, 2012 at 4:14 pm:
I loved this book! I think that you need to reread it, and focus more on the meanings, than on the plot. I was fascinated by the way the took out color.

Katrini replied...
Feb. 6, 2012 at 4:18 pm :
So true, alemx, I really enjoyed this book and I think it was written in a great style

crazyboy6 said...
Feb. 6, 2012 at 4:08 pm:
hi kate its colton

Katrini replied...
Feb. 6, 2012 at 4:18 pm :
What a fitting user name!

kcunning44 said...
Feb. 6, 2012 at 4:04 pm:
I disagree with you. I think this book is one of the best books I have ever read. I loved how the end was sudden, and a cliffhanger. Every time I reread this book I think about what happens to Jonah and it stays with me for days. This is the point of literature; to make you think.

3va101 said...
Feb. 3, 2012 at 8:24 pm:
i know what yoou mean when u felt disappointed at then because the story was just hanging there but i discussed this with my teacher and i finally realized the author did this to make sure the reader keeps thinking about what's gonna happen next the author want u to keep thinking about the book!

yankeesgirl14 said...
I disagree with all of you this was a good book you just had to dig in deep to find the true story. There are two follow up books. Yes it was slow at first and the book is sad and depressing but interesting

RoxiMaiThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
I agree. I was forced to read this book for a book report and was greatly disappointed. I usually am okay with ambiguous ending but this one left me hanging, needing to know more.

FrozenInChaos said...
I somewhat enjoyed this book wen it was read to me by one of my favorite teachers last year. It was not as bad as you say, though it was a bit confusing.