The Giver by Lois Lowry This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

After reading The Giver, I was left confused and disappointed. It seemed as if it would be interesting, but you can't judge a book by its cover. The contents were dull and predictable. Quite honestly, I wouldn't recommend it to any reader seeking a fine piece of literature. It just doesn't suffice.

The Giver is about a young boy named Jonas. He resides in a futuristic society in which each citizen is assigned a job, a spouse, and children. The children are born to mothers who will never get to see them. Trying not to give anymore away, I will only say that Jonas is assigned an important job and is challenged with the release of an innocent child. Jonas is left with the option of leaving his home, job, and family to save the child, or facing the harsh reality of his community and job, and enduring the release of the child.

This book was dreadful. I became more and more dissatisfied with each page. It was a waste of time and hardly made sense. I'll admit, there were a few interesting lines, but far too few to continue reading after the first chapter. Although I finished it, I regret doing so. It was, by far, the worst book I've ever picked up. It proved to be mediocre, no better than what the average person could conceive. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

Olivea said...
I have to disagree with you. I really enjoy Lois Lowry's writing style. I thought that it was very unique. The ending was a cliffhanger because it is important to draw your own conclusions.

jjjjkkkkll said...
I totally disagree with you.This book was a very good book.Altough the ending was confusing I still like this book very greatly!!

dancestar said...
Even though The Giver wasn't my favorite book, i thought it was worth my time to read. the plot was different and unique. But i have to admit i was REALLY disappointed with the sequal Gathering Blue and the book after that- Messenger.

literatureXlover said...
i read the book last year and i fell in love with louis lowry .. i think hes/she [iam not sure :x]is a great writer and i do recommend this book and any other books by him/her ..yes it can get confusing and the endings not that great ..but he/she has a great way of writing and his/her books are very good ..in mi opinion.

RheaD.Ravenfinger This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I liked the book but I felt let down at the ending. I didn't get to know whether Jonas helped the people to remember or if he survived and what happened to the baby. The book had a lot of good ideas and was well written but I think the writer ended it too soon.

ZAVERY said...
Well, I don't think it was dull or a waste of time. It's like learning a thousand morals in one! It was a unique story that made me wonder and question every sentence., like for example, "What and where is elsewhere?" This book in my opinion is very good for developing minds that wonder what the world really is. That's just my opinion!

iliketac0s said...
ikr, i really liked it!

iliketac0s replied...
haha sorry that was supposed to be a reply to someone else's comment

maritina said...

I neither agree nor dissagree. I will admit that it is not my favorite book in the entire world, but it was a good read for a rainy day.I did not dislike it because it was a bad book, but because it didn't interest me very much at the time. I think it was very well written though and it is very eye opening to events that coud easiy happen if society keeps insisting absolute equality in every single aspect of people's lives.

PurpleRain said...

I really enjoyed this book! The ending wasn't exactly satifying but for the most part it was extremely interesting.

ZAVERY said...
Hey wait a minute. If you don't like this book, then why did you read it? :|

gogreenatohs said...
Well I am sorry but I totally disagree with this review. I read it for a book club and I LOVED it.  Lois Lowery is an awesome author. I really enjoyed her writing style.

ZAVERY replied...
Yeah, I agree. We are reading this book at school. It's kinda disguisting when it's talking about "stirrings" but I still love this book!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Peace420 replied...
Apr. 12, 2010 at 9:40 am

I hardly remember this book but I do remember sitting on my bed after being WOW. I love this book and it is very interesting idea...

WiseGirl said...
I happen to LOVE The Giver. I have read both of the companion novels.

sailercThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This is my all time favorite book! I couldn't possibly understand why something wouldn't like it! I love how Lois Lowry makes up her own futuristic world. It's so cool!

mensa4life said...
From reading your...review..I became very upset. I have read The Giver multiple times and my mother teaches it at her skoool. The Giver is one of my all time favorite books, its the complete oposite of everything you called it and how dare you regret reading it. Do not blame the novel or the author if your not bright enough to trully understand the novels contents.

gogreenatohs replied...
i totally agree with your comment it is really true even though I have read it once it is one of the best books I have ever read

alex9426 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
i must disagree. i loved this book. it was thought provoking and offered insight into a world that could be true if we try to make everyone the same. jonas, the heroine, shows important moral virtues. moral of the story: the world isn't what you think it is. another moral: listen to your morals and what you believe is right. but i'm glad you made an effort to finish it to make a well-backed opinion.

heeeheee34 said...
Mar. 17, 2010 at 11:56 am
This book sucks.