The Giver by Lois Lowry This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

After reading The Giver, I was left confused and disappointed. It seemed as if it would be interesting, but you can't judge a book by its cover. The contents were dull and predictable. Quite honestly, I wouldn't recommend it to any reader seeking a fine piece of literature. It just doesn't suffice.

The Giver is about a young boy named Jonas. He resides in a futuristic society in which each citizen is assigned a job, a spouse, and children. The children are born to mothers who will never get to see them. Trying not to give anymore away, I will only say that Jonas is assigned an important job and is challenged with the release of an innocent child. Jonas is left with the option of leaving his home, job, and family to save the child, or facing the harsh reality of his community and job, and enduring the release of the child.

This book was dreadful. I became more and more dissatisfied with each page. It was a waste of time and hardly made sense. I'll admit, there were a few interesting lines, but far too few to continue reading after the first chapter. Although I finished it, I regret doing so. It was, by far, the worst book I've ever picked up. It proved to be mediocre, no better than what the average person could conceive. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

ZAVERY said...
Well, I don't think it was dull or a waste of time. It's like learning a thousand morals in one! It was a unique story that made me wonder and question every sentence., like for example, "What and where is elsewhere?" This book in my opinion is very good for developing minds that wonder what the world really is. That's just my opinion!

iliketac0s said...
ikr, i really liked it!

iliketac0s replied...
Apr. 8, 2010 at 8:03 pm :
haha sorry that was supposed to be a reply to someone else's comment

maritina said...

I neither agree nor dissagree. I will admit that it is not my favorite book in the entire world, but it was a good read for a rainy day.I did not dislike it because it was a bad book, but because it didn't interest me very much at the time. I think it was very well written though and it is very eye opening to events that coud easiy happen if society keeps insisting absolute equality in every single aspect of people's lives.

PurpleRain said...

I really enjoyed this book! The ending wasn't exactly satifying but for the most part it was extremely interesting.

ZAVERY said...
Hey wait a minute. If you don't like this book, then why did you read it? :|

gogreenatohs said...
Well I am sorry but I totally disagree with this review. I read it for a book club and I LOVED it.  Lois Lowery is an awesome author. I really enjoyed her writing style.

ZAVERY replied...
Apr. 8, 2010 at 4:06 pm :
Yeah, I agree. We are reading this book at school. It's kinda disguisting when it's talking about "stirrings" but I still love this book!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Peace420 replied...
Apr. 12, 2010 at 9:40 am :

I hardly remember this book but I do remember sitting on my bed after being WOW. I love this book and it is very interesting idea...

WiseGirl said...
I happen to LOVE The Giver. I have read both of the companion novels.

sailerc This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Mar. 31, 2010 at 2:17 pm:
This is my all time favorite book! I couldn't possibly understand why something wouldn't like it! I love how Lois Lowry makes up her own futuristic world. It's so cool!

mensa4life said...
Mar. 27, 2010 at 2:23 pm:
From reading your...review..I became very upset. I have read The Giver multiple times and my mother teaches it at her skoool. The Giver is one of my all time favorite books, its the complete oposite of everything you called it and how dare you regret reading it. Do not blame the novel or the author if your not bright enough to trully understand the novels contents.

gogreenatohs replied...
Apr. 5, 2010 at 5:46 pm :
i totally agree with your comment it is really true even though I have read it once it is one of the best books I have ever read

alex9426 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Mar. 17, 2010 at 7:13 pm:
i must disagree. i loved this book. it was thought provoking and offered insight into a world that could be true if we try to make everyone the same. jonas, the heroine, shows important moral virtues. moral of the story: the world isn't what you think it is. another moral: listen to your morals and what you believe is right. but i'm glad you made an effort to finish it to make a well-backed opinion.

heeeheee34 said...
Mar. 17, 2010 at 11:56 am:
This book sucks.

heeeheee34 replied...
Mar. 17, 2010 at 11:58 am :
srry i tested this website and i made an error, this book is actually decent and suspending

horsie_luver said...
Mar. 14, 2010 at 9:45 pm:
Thank you to everybody who agrees with me in saying that this is a very good book. Please do not let all of the negative comments discourage you from reading this book. It is an excellent book if you like this type of writing. Although, some people might not like this book, but that is fine with me. Not everybody likes every book and every type of book.

sunnyhunny This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Mar. 13, 2010 at 3:16 pm:
I have to respectfully disagree with you. I like the matter-of-fact tone that Lois Lowry maintains throughout the begining of the story. Nobody in the community knows that so many things are wrong, and the reader is left to notice it themselves without it being announced to them. I think that this story was cleverly written, and that the reading level is lower than the maturity it takes to fully understand and accept the true purpose and message of this book.

Darley said...
Feb. 27, 2010 at 7:20 pm:
I love this Book!!!!! I read it in the seventh grade. I totally recomend it. The Giver isa different kind of book that is what makes it cool

MisplacedTexan14 said...
Feb. 23, 2010 at 10:13 pm:
There is a sequel!!! Gathering Blue and The Messenger are the sequels. How can you not like this book?!?!? My whole seventh grade class read it and everyone LOVED it!