The Giver by Lois Lowry This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

After reading The Giver, I was left confused and disappointed. It seemed as if it would be interesting, but you can't judge a book by its cover. The contents were dull and predictable. Quite honestly, I wouldn't recommend it to any reader seeking a fine piece of literature. It just doesn't suffice.

The Giver is about a young boy named Jonas. He resides in a futuristic society in which each citizen is assigned a job, a spouse, and children. The children are born to mothers who will never get to see them. Trying not to give anymore away, I will only say that Jonas is assigned an important job and is challenged with the release of an innocent child. Jonas is left with the option of leaving his home, job, and family to save the child, or facing the harsh reality of his community and job, and enduring the release of the child.

This book was dreadful. I became more and more dissatisfied with each page. It was a waste of time and hardly made sense. I'll admit, there were a few interesting lines, but far too few to continue reading after the first chapter. Although I finished it, I regret doing so. It was, by far, the worst book I've ever picked up. It proved to be mediocre, no better than what the average person could conceive. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

gogreenatohs said...
Well I am sorry but I totally disagree with this review. I read it for a book club and I LOVED it.  Lois Lowery is an awesome author. I really enjoyed her writing style.

Peace420 replied...
Apr. 12, 2010 at 9:40 am :

I hardly remember this book but I do remember sitting on my bed after being WOW. I love this book and it is very interesting idea...

WiseGirl said...
I happen to LOVE The Giver. I have read both of the companion novels.

sailerc This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Mar. 31, 2010 at 2:17 pm:
This is my all time favorite book! I couldn't possibly understand why something wouldn't like it! I love how Lois Lowry makes up her own futuristic world. It's so cool!

mensa4life said...
Mar. 27, 2010 at 2:23 pm:
From reading your...review..I became very upset. I have read The Giver multiple times and my mother teaches it at her skoool. The Giver is one of my all time favorite books, its the complete oposite of everything you called it and how dare you regret reading it. Do not blame the novel or the author if your not bright enough to trully understand the novels contents.

gogreenatohs replied...
Apr. 5, 2010 at 5:46 pm :
i totally agree with your comment it is really true even though I have read it once it is one of the best books I have ever read

alex9426 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Mar. 17, 2010 at 7:13 pm:
i must disagree. i loved this book. it was thought provoking and offered insight into a world that could be true if we try to make everyone the same. jonas, the heroine, shows important moral virtues. moral of the story: the world isn't what you think it is. another moral: listen to your morals and what you believe is right. but i'm glad you made an effort to finish it to make a well-backed opinion.

heeeheee34 said...
Mar. 17, 2010 at 11:56 am:
This book sucks.

heeeheee34 replied...
Mar. 17, 2010 at 11:58 am :
srry i tested this website and i made an error, this book is actually decent and suspending

horsie_luver said...
Mar. 14, 2010 at 9:45 pm:
Thank you to everybody who agrees with me in saying that this is a very good book. Please do not let all of the negative comments discourage you from reading this book. It is an excellent book if you like this type of writing. Although, some people might not like this book, but that is fine with me. Not everybody likes every book and every type of book.

sunnyhunnyThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Mar. 13, 2010 at 3:16 pm:
I have to respectfully disagree with you. I like the matter-of-fact tone that Lois Lowry maintains throughout the begining of the story. Nobody in the community knows that so many things are wrong, and the reader is left to notice it themselves without it being announced to them. I think that this story was cleverly written, and that the reading level is lower than the maturity it takes to fully understand and accept the true purpose and message of this book.

Darley said...
Feb. 27, 2010 at 7:20 pm:
I love this Book!!!!! I read it in the seventh grade. I totally recomend it. The Giver isa different kind of book that is what makes it cool

MisplacedTexan14 said...
Feb. 23, 2010 at 10:13 pm:
There is a sequel!!! Gathering Blue and The Messenger are the sequels. How can you not like this book?!?!? My whole seventh grade class read it and everyone LOVED it!

AlexandraRose<3 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Feb. 23, 2010 at 10:40 pm :
The messenger and gathering blue are NOT sequals they are only books by the same author

MisplacedTexan14 replied...
Feb. 23, 2010 at 10:56 pm :
They are not normal sequels, but Jonas's story continues in them.

Shabanana replied...
Mar. 17, 2010 at 10:54 am :
They are not sequels. Jonas' story continues but all the characters are changed and only a little part talks about Jonas. The rest of the books have nothing to do with them. Lois Lowry wrote 3 different books and conveniently joined them together but it is not a sequel.

MisplacedTexan14 replied...
Mar. 17, 2010 at 10:58 am :
okay, whatever. Talk about the book. Is it really that important if they're not REAL sequels. His story continues, I was just pointing that out. Talk about the book.

alex9426 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Mar. 17, 2010 at 7:16 pm :
in a way, yes, they are sequels. but also, in a way, they're not. you have to read the giver then gathering blue then messenger. the information is continued and expanded.

readaholic replied...
Mar. 23, 2010 at 7:27 pm :
The messenger and gathering blue are the type of books called companions. They aren't sequels but are related to the story in some way. And about the review above: i personally LOVED the book and disagree with the reviewer. I read it in 6th grade by choice and i think it's interesting and makes you think. It really depends what type of books you like to read.

1313 replied...
Apr. 22, 2010 at 10:05 am :
All three books(The Giver, Gathering Blue and Messanger) are in a triology.  They might not all go together exactly, having different people in them and all, but they are put together in a trilogy.  That's what Lois Lowry calls them, The Trilogy, on her website loislowry.com under "Books".  "Books" is a list of all the works she has writen(at least it's supposed to be) and is writen by Lois Lowry(the site is).  Just thought I'd throw that out there! :P

lovelauren3 said...
Feb. 23, 2010 at 9:36 pm:
I read this book as an assignment for English, so I was forced to finish. I was instantly interested by her precise descriptions of everything she wrote about, but was by all means, completely dissapointed by the ending. It left you wondering in a terrible way, and of course, there's no sequel.