The Giver by Lois Lowry MAG

By Bapalapa2 ELITE, Brooklyn, New York
Bapalapa2 ELITE, Brooklyn, New York

After reading The Giver, I was left confused and disappointed. It seemed as if it would be interesting, but you can't judge a book by its cover. The contents were dull and predictable. Quite honestly, I wouldn't recommend it to any reader seeking a fine piece of literature. It just doesn't suffice.

The Giver is about a young boy named Jonas. He resides in a futuristic society in which each citizen is assigned a job, a spouse, and children. The children are born to mothers who will never get to see them. Trying not to give anymore away, I will only say that Jonas is assigned an important job and is challenged with the release of an innocent child. Jonas is left with the option of leaving his home, job, and family to save the child, or facing the harsh reality of his community and job, and enduring the release of the child.

This book was dreadful. I became more and more dissatisfied with each page. It was a waste of time and hardly made sense. I'll admit, there were a few interesting lines, but far too few to continue reading after the first chapter. Although I finished it, I regret doing so. It was, by far, the worst book I've ever picked up. It proved to be mediocre, no better than what the average person could conceive. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

on Jul. 4 at 3:30 am
lindafox BRONZE, Seoul, Other
1 article 2 photos 1 comment

What the lion cannot manage to do, the fox can.

I agree that it was predictable and dull, but it was fun in terms of the author's creativity and realistic events.

on Jul. 3 at 3:49 pm
wuadbwabdu BRONZE, Wenatchee, Washington

If your reading this your too late - Drake

Like many of the people who commented, I respect your opinion. However, I disagree. It was an extremely suspenseful story and one of my favorites.

kaitlynhartl said...
on Apr. 27 at 1:38 pm
kaitlynhartl, Grand Rapids, Michigan
I haven't read it in a few years, but I remember liking it, and this review is making me think twice. I'll revisit it sometime and see where I stand

on Mar. 7 at 1:40 pm
Writeluvlife BRONZE, Claremore, Oklahoma

Pornography is the Devil's Iconography-Death to the World

I disagree. I think you did not get the full meaning of the book and everything the author was writing about. I think The Giver has a very pro-life stance and the entire series is focused on love and what love is and means. I think it is a very meaningful book and series if you take the time to look at it in a more meaningful and thoughtful way.

on Nov. 30 2017 at 8:30 am
Jillybean BRONZE, Ypsilanti, Michigan
Like many of the comments have said below, you have a right to your own opinion, and I respect your opinion. However, I think that you could have better explained why you didn't like the book. Providing more specific examples would be very useful in allowing us to see things from your point of view. Again, no disrespect to you nor your review. Just some suggestions for future book reviews. :)

on Nov. 27 2017 at 5:27 pm
CoolPoet737 PLATINUM, South Burlington, Vermont
No disrespect to you or to the review, but come on! The book was certainly better than THAT. Good grief. If anything, the (weak) film adaptation was more predictable than the book. Plus, if it really was as bad as you said, why did it win 1994's John Newbery Medal?

on Nov. 22 2017 at 11:34 am
LyziWritesStuff, Dexter, Michigan

"Don't cry, craft" -Dan and Phil.

I respect your opinion, but I disagree. This book takes time to understand, and it's an acquired taste. I personally enjoyed it.

on Oct. 16 2017 at 7:01 pm
qwertyuiopasdfghjk BRONZE, Brooklyn, New York

"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched - they must be felt with the heart."
- Helen Keller

Nora7 said...
on Jul. 18 2017 at 2:47 pm
Nora7, Cherry Valley, New York
Thank you! So many people discredit books only because they do not like what they are about. When really that has very little to do with if a book is great or not.

on Feb. 14 2017 at 1:19 pm
willowblaire SILVER, Alvord, Texas
I'm reading the book in my reading class, and I really like it!

on Jan. 2 2017 at 8:23 pm
Travelergirl DIAMOND, Central, Utah

"Do not judge my story by the chapter you walked in on"- Unknown

I respect your opinion, but I think you didn't really think about the inside meaning of the book as a whole. The book is showing how we all need to find our futures for ourselves, and that we also need to have feelings and experience things. I personally think that it is a book everyone should read. I encourage you to read it again and just try to think of the whole theme of the book. On the other hand, your review was really good and you did a good job.

Attica SILVER said...
on Nov. 21 2016 at 9:48 am
Attica SILVER, Pittsfield, New Hampshire
Although I respect your opinion, I think that you have misinterpreted the main point of this story. When you look at the ethics of the story and what the author is trying to do, you will get why she made it boring, to show how boring a world without differences would be. It is a very philosophical book and not recommended if you like romantic, action-packs, sparkly-vampire books. I believe that you could have improved this review by actually explaining why it didn't make sense and analyzing what you DID learn from it. Maybe then you can properly analyze the book without throwing it away because of its literary content rather than a misunderstood theme.

Brigid GOLD said...
on Nov. 7 2016 at 7:56 am
Brigid GOLD, White River Junction, Vermont

"We are all in the gutter but some of us are looking at the stars."
-Oscar Wilde

I totally agree with you!! this book is great. Anyway, I thought you might want to know there are three sequels... 1) Gathering Blue, 2) Messenger, and 3) Son. they are all really good, but The Giver is still my favorite!

on Nov. 5 2016 at 12:31 pm
JohnnyAppleseed BRONZE, Midvale, Utah
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

"when life gives you lemons, make lemonade"

If you hate it, please explain why it didn't make sense or how it was predictable. You seem to contradict yourself, saying it didn't make sense, then saying it was no better than what the average person could conceive.

leones0814 said...
on Nov. 2 2016 at 4:35 pm
I absolutely agree-this book is great and I think Lois Lowry is a fantastic author. @Bapalapa2, maybe if you read the other books that were in the series, you might find it more interesting. Each book plays a small but significant part in the bigger picture and everything fits together like the pieces of a puzzle.

Mysterious1 said...
on Oct. 12 2016 at 1:50 pm
Your right by the way this book had a twist at the end where he's sitting on the mountain with the baby

Ryan toder said...
on Oct. 12 2016 at 1:42 pm
@M501athletic your right the book was really good I think it had perfect suspense

on Jul. 16 2016 at 7:16 pm
Pookie16 BRONZE, Olathe, Kansas

"Don't be an idiot." - Michael Scott, The Office

@mysteryone It's kind of an interesting question to think about: Do you think Jonas should have stayed? Would the community have been better off if he hadn't left? Yes, they wouldn't experience the "vibrancy of life [or] the depth of emotions" (I really liked how you worded that), but they would also never have to deal with prejudice, poverty, hatred, war, destruction, etc. Was it fair of the one person who knew there even was another way of life to make that decision for the rest of them?

on Jun. 16 2016 at 1:05 am
I think the book was simple so we could see woulnt have to navigate beneath the words to the message being given which in itself was simple -

Swoon Reads

Aspiring Writer? Take Our Online Course!