The Giver by Lois Lowry This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

After reading The Giver, I was left confused and disappointed. It seemed as if it would be interesting, but you can't judge a book by its cover. The contents were dull and predictable. Quite honestly, I wouldn't recommend it to any reader seeking a fine piece of literature. It just doesn't suffice.

The Giver is about a young boy named Jonas. He resides in a futuristic society in which each citizen is assigned a job, a spouse, and children. The children are born to mothers who will never get to see them. Trying not to give anymore away, I will only say that Jonas is assigned an important job and is challenged with the release of an innocent child. Jonas is left with the option of leaving his home, job, and family to save the child, or facing the harsh reality of his community and job, and enduring the release of the child.

This book was dreadful. I became more and more dissatisfied with each page. It was a waste of time and hardly made sense. I'll admit, there were a few interesting lines, but far too few to continue reading after the first chapter. Although I finished it, I regret doing so. It was, by far, the worst book I've ever picked up. It proved to be mediocre, no better than what the average person could conceive. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

GirlGeniusThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Nov. 18 at 4:31 pm:
I can't decide whether or not to read, "The Blood of Olympus." Can someone do a review on that?

Jonah H. This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Nov. 12 at 10:01 am:
Well , I read The Giver in the 5 th grade , and I didn't see the point in it. The ending was good and heartfelt in my opinion , but the story just ......... sucks.

itserraticThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Sep. 26 at 10:21 pm:
Its too late! I already read it! But i liked your review. I felt the same way at the ending. 

kingofwritersThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Aug. 8 at 10:53 am:
I can understand why you don't like this book. I don't think it was dreadful, but it certainly wasn't a masterpiece. The idea surrounding the book is admittedly very unique and interesting, but everything else was just bland. Not dreadful...just bland.

absband said...
Aug. 3 at 10:12 pm:
I loved thisbook my class read and I was ahead and finished in at least one day. It was confusing then it got more understanding by the time I finished.

micky d said...
Jun. 6 at 5:20 pm:
I just finished reading this book in school, and it was so good that I read the whole book by the time the class was still on like chapter 14. I would recommend this book to anyone who likes to read.

BirdsingerThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
May 22 at 6:19 pm:
Personally, I found The Giver to be a great book. My fifth-grade teacher read it aloud to my class in Lit several years ago and--maybe it was just her prowess and fluency, but I don't think so--I really enjoyed it at the time. I think all Lois Lowry's books are worth at least picking up. She's a very talented writer, so if you think that The Giver is too "juvenile," I would recommend something else--the Austin series, for instance. Even if you di... (more »)

Jocospock replied...
May 30 at 10:03 am :
I disagree 100% I loved that book, I remember reading it years ago when I was in the sixth grade, and I loved the book so much that I bought it and reread it like a year ago. It's amazing, an absolute thrill to read. Fabulous peice of literature, and if you found it confusing; maybe you just didn't understand the general message. I want to reread it again. I think I shall.

anonymous replied...
today at 9:28 am :
I  read this book last year and I am in the 8th grade now, I for one Love the book but I love your opinion.  

Sunshine20023 said...
May 13 at 10:05 am:
The giver is a very unique book and after reading it I found that it was a very complex book.

HayleyFther said...
May 1 at 5:45 am:
I read this book and even though there are some points that i got tired and almost stopped reading,I still think it's worth to give it a try.

LarkbirdThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Apr. 14 at 1:38 pm:
and we find out even more about him by reading Gathering Blue and Son ;)

WilliamNThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Mar. 27 at 3:20 pm:
Some people here say that this book was very "childish" and "intended for children" but I don't think so. I found it a very good book, and it teaches people that creativity and breaking out from everyday order can be a good thing.

JesusandHisLawyersThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Mar. 25 at 9:53 pm:
I feel like I've posted about the Giver before, so bare with me. The Giver is, at its core, a book intended for children with a very simple and childish understanding of literature, and by extension, what makes good literature. It takes some concepts that have been used before many times, and often used better (I think sombody mentioned Anthem?) and wraps them into an easy to swallow and simplistic chunk of nothing. That's what it is, really. Nothing. Charactres so flat that you can'... (more »)

EllyApolloRoseThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Mar. 19 at 12:25 pm:
I really loved this book, but when you read it, you have to keep an open mind. It was very confusing at first, but when i reread it, it was better. There are multiple sequals/books about the same utopian world. If you still have problems understanding the book, you should also read the others, they might help you understand it a little better. This is just my opinion though, but i really love the "what if" factor of utopian books.

WrappedUpInBooks said...
Mar. 9 at 9:26 am:
I read this in the seventh grade and was not very interested. I've been meaning to re-read it, but to be honest my memory of it is basically summed up by this review. It was a bit confusing and the end really bugged me. Out of all the dystopian fiction I have read, this was probably my least favorite. 

FunneThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Feb. 5 at 6:18 pm:
This is a very good book to me. I think it shows why a Utopia might not be a good idea. 

wildandfree13 said...
Feb. 4 at 12:33 pm:
i completly disagree this book was interesting and worth while reading this book was very intersting 

HelloKitty456 said...
Feb. 4 at 12:32 pm:
WildandFree13 says you make Horrible Book Review and disagrees.

cometear said...
I competely agree. This book sucked.