The Giver by Lois Lowry | Teen Ink

The Giver by Lois Lowry MAG

By Bapalapa2 ELITE, Brooklyn, New York
Bapalapa2 ELITE, Brooklyn, New York
1044 articles 0 photos 1 comment

After reading The Giver, I was left confused and disappointed. It seemed as if it would be interesting, but you can't judge a book by its cover. The contents were dull and predictable. Quite honestly, I wouldn't recommend it to any reader seeking a fine piece of literature. It just doesn't suffice.

The Giver is about a young boy named Jonas. He resides in a futuristic society in which each citizen is assigned a job, a spouse, and children. The children are born to mothers who will never get to see them. Trying not to give anymore away, I will only say that Jonas is assigned an important job and is challenged with the release of an innocent child. Jonas is left with the option of leaving his home, job, and family to save the child, or facing the harsh reality of his community and job, and enduring the release of the child.

This book was dreadful. I became more and more dissatisfied with each page. It was a waste of time and hardly made sense. I'll admit, there were a few interesting lines, but far too few to continue reading after the first chapter. Although I finished it, I regret doing so. It was, by far, the worst book I've ever picked up. It proved to be mediocre, no better than what the average person could conceive. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.


Similar Articles

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 587 comments.


on Nov. 22 2023 at 12:38 pm
chaotic-writing-person BRONZE, Košice, Other
3 articles 1 photo 3 comments
For example, I liked it. Yes, this book is written in a bit of a strange way and the story moves really slowly at times, but I found it interesting enough and a good read.

on Nov. 17 2023 at 6:07 pm
Ainsley_Sterling BRONZE, Holland, Michigan
2 articles 0 photos 2 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I have found it is the small things, everyday deeds of ordinary folk, that keeps the darkness at bay. Simple acts of kindness and love."
Gandalf

I absolutely loved this book! I can easily say it's one of my all-time favorites. I do agree that it's a bit slow at some points, but there are some pretty intense parts as well. I thought it was really philosophically deep, and it did an excellent job showing how emotions and memories, good and bad, are a crucial part of what makes us truly human.

wearyriver said...
on Sep. 6 2023 at 9:36 pm
wearyriver, Miami, Florida
0 articles 1 photo 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
Let us go, through certain half-deserted streets,
The muttering retreats
Of restless nights in one-night cheap hotels
And sawdust restaurants with oyster-shells.
-The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock

Personally, I found it to be a very interesting book, actually! I really enjoyed the descriptions of the environment, such as how the lack of color is slowly hinted at, but the reveal is still a surprise. The world it's set in, the characters, the feelings, it all really resonated with me. If you're expecting a shallow action heavy or romantic book like many popular young adult novels, you aren't going to get that, but if you're willing to really savor the story, I think you get a ton out of it.

on Oct. 17 2022 at 11:18 am
Yairebsor SILVER, Livingston, Montana
5 articles 0 photos 6 comments

Favorite Quote:
Failure is always an option.

I do think that this book was not the most exiting, but I love the way Lois Lowry described everything. If you are looking for a similar book, then read Unwind by Neal Shusterman. The way the he sets everything up is just beautiful. It does have more excitement than The Giver and it is my favorite book of all time. I do still love think that the Giver is a wonderful book though!

on Oct. 29 2021 at 12:52 am
MahikaPandit BRONZE, Cupertino, California
2 articles 0 photos 5 comments
I actually agree! It had a few interesting parts but my they were rare. Read it as part of school as well and still I just dont like it.

on Jun. 13 2021 at 3:08 pm
SparrowSun ELITE, X, Vermont
200 articles 23 photos 1053 comments

Favorite Quote:
"It Will Be Good." (complicated semi-spiritual emotional story.)

"Upon his bench the pieces lay
As if an artwork on display
Of gears and hands
And wire-thin bands
That glisten in dim candle play." -Janice T., Clockwork[love that poem, dont know why, im not steampunk]

i read it and i thought it was great!

on Mar. 23 2021 at 8:50 pm
Bella_Queen DIAMOND, Plymouth, Ohio
89 articles 26 photos 79 comments

Favorite Quote:
Keep your face always toward the sunshine and shadows will fall behind you.
-Walt Whitman

What?! I adored the Giver! It was such a powerful and poetic book! I can't wait to finish the whole series!

on Sep. 2 2020 at 1:12 pm
HorrorTeller BRONZE, Independance, Missouri
4 articles 1 photo 15 comments

Favorite Quote:
“Let your unique awesomeness and positive energy inspire confidence in others.”

I would like to disagree I absolutely love this book and I understand it might be dull but it's one of my favorites still

on May. 13 2019 at 12:19 pm
wRnight21 BRONZE, Hendersonville, North Carolina
3 articles 0 photos 4 comments

Favorite Quote:
For god so LOVED the WORLD that he GAVE his ONLY SON and for ANYONE who BELIEVED in HIM shall NOT perish BUT HAVE ETERNAL LIFE.

John 3:16

Isn't that just your opinion?

on Nov. 25 2018 at 9:21 pm
jessiegreenman SILVER, Hemet, California
5 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
The more you like yourself, the less you are like anyone else, which makes you unique- Walt Disney

I would like to respectfully disagree I love this book it kept me on the edge of my seat I also loved the way the author used colors and relationships.

on Jul. 4 2018 at 3:30 am
lindakim BRONZE, Seoul, Other
2 articles 0 photos 2 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Act as if what you do makes a difference. IT DOES."

I agree that it was predictable and dull, but it was fun in terms of the author's creativity and realistic events.

on Jul. 3 2018 at 3:49 pm
wuadbwabdu BRONZE, Wenatchee, Washington
3 articles 0 photos 54 comments

Favorite Quote:
If your reading this your too late - Drake

Like many of the people who commented, I respect your opinion. However, I disagree. It was an extremely suspenseful story and one of my favorites.

kaitlynhartl said...
on Apr. 27 2018 at 1:38 pm
kaitlynhartl, Grand Rapids, Michigan
0 articles 0 photos 2 comments
I haven't read it in a few years, but I remember liking it, and this review is making me think twice. I'll revisit it sometime and see where I stand

on Mar. 7 2018 at 1:40 pm
Writeluvlife BRONZE, Claremore, Oklahoma
2 articles 0 photos 13 comments

Favorite Quote:
Pornography is the Devil's Iconography-Death to the World

I disagree. I think you did not get the full meaning of the book and everything the author was writing about. I think The Giver has a very pro-life stance and the entire series is focused on love and what love is and means. I think it is a very meaningful book and series if you take the time to look at it in a more meaningful and thoughtful way.

Like many of the people who commented, I respect your opinion. However, I disagree. It was an extremely suspenseful story and one of my favorites.

on Nov. 30 2017 at 8:30 am
Jillybean BRONZE, Ypsilanti, Michigan
4 articles 0 photos 7 comments
Like many of the comments have said below, you have a right to your own opinion, and I respect your opinion. However, I think that you could have better explained why you didn't like the book. Providing more specific examples would be very useful in allowing us to see things from your point of view. Again, no disrespect to you nor your review. Just some suggestions for future book reviews. :)

on Nov. 27 2017 at 5:27 pm
BenParker3737 DIAMOND, South Burlington, Vermont
91 articles 5 photos 16 comments
No disrespect to you or to the review, but come on! The book was certainly better than THAT. Good grief. If anything, the (weak) film adaptation was more predictable than the book. Plus, if it really was as bad as you said, why did it win 1994's John Newbery Medal?

on Nov. 22 2017 at 11:34 am
LyziWritesStuff, Dexter, Michigan
0 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
"Don't cry, craft" -Dan and Phil.

I respect your opinion, but I disagree. This book takes time to understand, and it's an acquired taste. I personally enjoyed it.

on Oct. 16 2017 at 7:01 pm
qwertyuiopasdfghjk BRONZE, Brooklyn, New York
4 articles 0 photos 35 comments

Favorite Quote:
"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched - they must be felt with the heart."
- Helen Keller

Like many of the people who commented, I respect your opinion. However, I disagree. It was an extremely suspenseful story and one of my favorites.

Nora7 said...
on Jul. 18 2017 at 2:47 pm
Nora7, Cherry Valley, New York
0 articles 2 photos 1 comment
Thank you! So many people discredit books only because they do not like what they are about. When really that has very little to do with if a book is great or not.