Flame This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

I watch this flame pass
from match to wick,
gently stepping over
a great divide.
This flame and I
are not so different:
it comes into being from nothingness;
it eats and grows, smokes, and rests.
It gets angry,
destroys homes,
consumes flesh.
Sated, it becomes calm,
retreats into coals,
smoldering through the night.
Domesticated
by a piece of string,
it makes its home in a cave of wax.
It chases the shadows away
and stands watch through the night.
It sways
and dances in the darkness
before it is extinguished
in the blink
of an eye.

lillypelt12 said...
Truly amazing! I can relate completly.

ShelbyMarie93 said...
Mar. 2, 2011 at 8:40 am
Amazing work! And really nice metaphor too! You have great talent!

bookdevourer101 said...
Mar. 1, 2011 at 1:12 am
Amazing work! I abseloutely love it when poets can find such meaningful things in objects we as people normally don't take a second glance at. Beautiful words and descriptions.

Medina D. said...

i like reading poems. i liked reading this one. Words so simple, with a meaning behind it.

springdance said...
Feb. 9, 2011 at 11:31 am
I understand completely. Life is so unpredictable. Right now, I'm going through the darkness, without a candle to light my path. I hope that you keep writing and inspiring other people. 

Gigantron said...

I like this poem because it pertains to fire.

I like fire. 

HisPurePrincess This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 8, 2011 at 10:56 am
really very true, and well put.  it could have been stronger, but nice job.

fragileblackorchid said...
wow i can totally understand this, and i also love fire for some reason lolz, thnx for writing this

TheLeavesFloatingInTheWindThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Can I say anything other than wow?

theMidnightSonnet said...
This is stunning. I haven't read anything this good in a real. Its so beautiful and powerful. Fantastic imagery. You are so talented, never stop writing.

TheeKatieBug said...
Jan. 17, 2011 at 2:51 am
Beautiful poem.<3

zhlenThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...

can u read mine n give me feedbak?

cinnamon said...
this poem is really great i hope to see more of you..this was great=)

ElizabethTaylor said...
Wonderful job! Just keep writing and never give up! I can't wait to see your poems and works in bookstores one day!

My_ImmortalGuardian said...
Dec. 4, 2010 at 7:34 am
I think it's really good.  Kind of like what I write...but you obviously have moroe experience.

MRose911 said...
This is so amazing and metaphorical! I love it! :) Please check out my work if you get the chance!

Writer12 said...
Nov. 12, 2010 at 10:44 am
What a great poem!!! I Love it!

fatesknocking said...
such great imagery and metaphors.

sunnyhunny This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Wow, I really like this!  Great metaphor.  My favortie part is the one about stepping over the great divide.

writergirl13 said...
I think everyone's life is like that: first you're happy and everything is going great, and then it just does a 180. Don't worry about people judging you- just write from the heart and write what comes to mind. As for your writing itself, what can I say? Keep writing like that and you'll get far in your writing career.