Flame This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

I watch this flame pass
from match to wick,
gently stepping over
a great divide.
This flame and I
are not so different:
it comes into being from nothingness;
it eats and grows, smokes, and rests.
It gets angry,
destroys homes,
consumes flesh.
Sated, it becomes calm,
retreats into coals,
smoldering through the night.
Domesticated
by a piece of string,
it makes its home in a cave of wax.
It chases the shadows away
and stands watch through the night.
It sways
and dances in the darkness
before it is extinguished
in the blink
of an eye.

NLURHS said...
Feb. 17, 2012 at 9:26 am
That was amazing I loved it, it just flowed, I could really imagine a flame when reading your poem, just simply amazing :D

HiddenAngelInTheDark said...
Feb. 4, 2012 at 9:08 am
Beautiful and we can all be like an object such as a cloud or a wave or even the rain

Kingdom_of_the_Forgotten said...
This is really good. The work of a genius who knows how to get their point across to people.

KateLA said...
Wow, I just loved this-you are a master at poem writing, gave it 5/5 of course!

living_undefined said...
Reading this poem i imagined a girl litteraly being the flame. and the flame moving as if a mind of its own then in the end i saw a flame make its way into a "cave of wax" then in the cave i saw a girl on fire dancing. I really love this poem :) keep writeing

EternallyMe03 said...
Jan. 26, 2012 at 11:28 am
I truly appreciate this poem. It is very unique in that it can relate to many people. Simple, yet powerful.

AlexisNicole822 said...
Jan. 26, 2012 at 10:46 am
This is amazing. I completely understand the similiarities. And I most definitely agree, I feel this way at times as well. Excellent job(:

amber603This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
This is one of the best poems i have seen in a while! Great job!

Forgotten_Saint said...
This is a great poem. And I loved the analogies you put in it

K.T.Bugg said...
Love this poem! Very very good! :) It's very touching and true! i love it :) keep up the awesome work!

His_Baby_Girl19 said...
Jan. 4, 2012 at 11:48 am
I love this poem. And especially how it represents you. The beauty within this poem can only come out of the courageous and lonely beauty's. You may not be alone, but do not let your inner wick distinguish.....You may never been able to enlighten it again...

kairi.kaylynThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jan. 4, 2012 at 10:38 am
This was really good. I loved how you described the flame and then made it to describe you.

LilZo11 said...
Jan. 4, 2012 at 9:56 am
wow that is really good interesting how you connected those two i love the analogy its really well written

poet.lover said...
Jan. 4, 2012 at 9:23 am
I really love all the emotion and truth that lies within this poem! Amazing work! try reading some of my poetry sometime, thanks :)

Joshua. said...
Jan. 4, 2012 at 3:04 am
Great! I really like it!

heather_marie said...
i understand completly my life has been estinguished many times and then light up again a short while. i love how fire can chase away the dark. and can keep me safe.

Fia-fia said...
Dec. 13, 2011 at 9:58 am

Truly wonderful! It is very interesting how u connected life to a candle, which is not untrue... thank you!

:)

xo19brandee93xo said...
Dec. 13, 2011 at 7:26 am
That was great! :D

Violet said...
This has to be one of my favorite poems on teen ink!  Keep up your amazingness!!!!!!   :)

Nick said...
AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!! That was extremily awesome! Keep it up!