To a Brother Growing Up | Teen Ink

To a Brother Growing Up

By imperfection GOLD, Gilroy, California
imperfection GOLD, Gilroy, California

"Dream as though you'll live forever, live as though you'll die today."
~James Dean (1931-1955), American Motion Picture Actor, symbol of rebellion

When I taught you
At six to kick
A soccer ball, rolling along
In front of you
As you pulled back
On your two young legs
My own eyes widening
In shock when you dribbled
Across the stretched
Field of the complex
I held my breath
For the scream
Of your trip as I
Jogged to catch up
While you grew faster, more rickety
With distance
Running, running
For your life, smiling
To the world
Jersey flapping
Behind you like
Your own flag, saying
Goodbye

on Mar. 29 2022 at 10:17 am
TheRareBreed PLATINUM, Lambertville, Michigan

“The apple doesn't fall far from the tree." I guess that means we're just products of whoever made us and we don't have much control. The thing is, when people use that phrase, they ignore the most critical part: the falling. Within the logic of that saying, the apple falls every single time. Not falling isn't an option. So, if the apple has to fall, the most important question in my mind is what happens to it upon hitting the ground? Does it touch down with barely a scratch? Or does it smash on impact? Two vastly different fates. When you think about it, who cares about its proximity to the tree or what type of tree spawned it? What really makes all the difference, then, is how we land.”
― Val Emmich, Dear Evan Hansen

After reading this, i felt so amazed at your work. I truly love the vividness of this poem. Ive been reading your work for a bit, so keep it up.

on Oct. 24 2018 at 7:20 am
PoetPanda PLATINUM, Hanahan, South Carolina

"Either I will find a way or I will make a way."

After reading "To a Daughter Leaving Home" I have to agree with @TeeWithTheFuzzyHair . However, it is so similar that I am inclined to believe there is no way that @imperfection was attempting to pass this off as their own original work. Giving the benefit of doubt, I'd say that the similarities were probably the point, as "To a Daughter Leaving Home" is a fairly well known poem.

TeeWithTheFuzzyHair BRONZE, Pawling, New York
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

"Let Your Tone Get Their Attention; Let Your Words Carry The Message" - Charles Scott

Uhhh I hate to be the one to comment this, but there is a poem called "To a Daughter Leaving Home" by Linda Pastan that is.... extremely similar to this. I'm not sure if that was the point and you were trying to make it sound similar to that, but I think it is a little strange that the poems are almost exactly the same, except this one is just a little altered... It seems more than just a coincidence to me. No hate or anything, I just couldn't tell if that was one of the points of the poem lol

wuadbwabdu BRONZE, Wenatchee, Washington

If your reading this your too late - Drake

dumb..

Coby_Thinks GOLD, American Fork, Utah

"now onto the future..." - Daniel Howell

You gave me goosebumps omg

JosieSmash BRONZE, Toledo, Washington

life is 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you react to it. :)

I reallly like this :)

SilverLuna SILVER, _________, Washington

"Come fairies take me out of this dull world, for I would ride with you upon the wind and dance upon the mountains like a flame.".... W.B. Yeats.
"Flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." - Douglas Adams

Iloved this because you kind of embrace how others around you are growing up, and to be attached emotionallly...well, it's painful! Great job!

Oh, and thanks for commenting on my work!

yaelephant5 PLATINUM, Potomac, Maryland

"Writing, I think, is not apart from living. Writing is a kind of double living. The writer experiences everything twice. Once in reality and once in the mirror which waits always before or behind."

i love this! so sad and so true.