Flame This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

I watch this flame pass
from match to wick,
gently stepping over
a great divide.
This flame and I
are not so different:
it comes into being from nothingness;
it eats and grows, smokes, and rests.
It gets angry,
destroys homes,
consumes flesh.
Sated, it becomes calm,
retreats into coals,
smoldering through the night.
Domesticated
by a piece of string,
it makes its home in a cave of wax.
It chases the shadows away
and stands watch through the night.
It sways
and dances in the darkness
before it is extinguished
in the blink
of an eye.

K.T.Bugg said...
Love this poem! Very very good! :) It's very touching and true! i love it :) keep up the awesome work!

His_Baby_Girl19 said...
Jan. 4, 2012 at 11:48 am
I love this poem. And especially how it represents you. The beauty within this poem can only come out of the courageous and lonely beauty's. You may not be alone, but do not let your inner wick distinguish.....You may never been able to enlighten it again...

kairi.kaylyn said...
Jan. 4, 2012 at 10:38 am
This was really good. I loved how you described the flame and then made it to describe you.

LilZo11 said...
Jan. 4, 2012 at 9:56 am
wow that is really good interesting how you connected those two i love the analogy its really well written

poet.lover said...
Jan. 4, 2012 at 9:23 am
I really love all the emotion and truth that lies within this poem! Amazing work! try reading some of my poetry sometime, thanks :)

Joshua. said...
Jan. 4, 2012 at 3:04 am
Great! I really like it!

heather_marie said...
i understand completly my life has been estinguished many times and then light up again a short while. i love how fire can chase away the dark. and can keep me safe.

Fia-fia said...
Dec. 13, 2011 at 9:58 am

Truly wonderful! It is very interesting how u connected life to a candle, which is not untrue... thank you!

:)

xo19brandee93xo said...
Dec. 13, 2011 at 7:26 am
That was great! :D

Violet said...
This has to be one of my favorite poems on teen ink!  Keep up your amazingness!!!!!!   :)

Nick said...
AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!! That was extremily awesome! Keep it up!

BrynaJo said...
This was awesome!

RedFeatherThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Nov. 21, 2011 at 7:32 am

That's a beautiful poem! I love the comparison of a person's life to a candle flame! I'm going to share this with my friends if you don't mind.

Check out some of my work sometime, will ya? KW! ^_^

Lola_Black said...
Beautiful comparison! I love the way it's written, by the way. Very relatable, too. Powerful. All around, it's an awesome poem!

NYClove13 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This poem was absolutely incredible! It was relatable, and if it wasn't for the fact that it was posted on this website I would've thought it was written by a professional poet! Great job!

alwaysbrokenhearted said...
so true! keep writing. and i'm sooo tagging this as a favorite!!!

WeAllBurn said...
agreed <3.

Mimi15 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
CHECK OUT MY WORKKK. K, thanks :)

bamboom212 said...
Aug. 25, 2011 at 10:42 am
Butiful ! (;

WhoWillCareIfEveryoneDied said...
Aug. 25, 2011 at 8:54 am
Beautiful. i have work on here i would really appreciate it if you guys can check it out and tell me what you think. Thanks :)