Flame This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

I watch this flame pass
from match to wick,
gently stepping over
a great divide.
This flame and I
are not so different:
it comes into being from nothingness;
it eats and grows, smokes, and rests.
It gets angry,
destroys homes,
consumes flesh.
Sated, it becomes calm,
retreats into coals,
smoldering through the night.
Domesticated
by a piece of string,
it makes its home in a cave of wax.
It chases the shadows away
and stands watch through the night.
It sways
and dances in the darkness
before it is extinguished
in the blink
of an eye.

Two of Tow said...
Read Farenheit 451

Two of Tow said...
Read Farenheit 451

WR1T3R said...
I loved it! You did a wonderful job! =)

KelliB replied...
May 15, 2012 at 11:28 am
I understand. NO judgement here. Great job!

satellite23 said...
Very desciptive, but a bit cliche and boring.

pianokeysevie replied...
May 15, 2012 at 9:18 am
i would have said the same if this was any longer, but i liked the length.. i didn't find it boring

kyrireeseThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Brilliant.

Whitney S. said...
I thought the context was very well written. The word usage was very good and it was also very descriptive.

lonleygal said...
Apr. 23, 2012 at 11:07 am
there are so many times i feel the same way I love how you are not afraid to let your feelings out

Indilove said...
Apr. 23, 2012 at 7:57 am
Great visualization Great description Great overall work VERY well done!!!!

logo1234 said...
I really like how you related yourself to the flames. Very good description, made it easy to visualize in my head.  I definitely feel that it resembles a candle, bright one second and gone the next.

Light_Walker said...
Apr. 12, 2012 at 7:19 am
I have felt the same. You have captured how many people feel in their life perfectly. I hope your flame will burn forever bright!

Lola_Black said...
I understand.

DanielleD said...

This poem is beautiful and well written. I'd love if you would check out some of my work too! :-)

TeenInk.com/poetry/free_verse/article/443185/A-House-Divided/

dragonfly95 said...
Apr. 1, 2012 at 10:03 am
this beatifuly written...i am sorry for the pain you have felt and expressed in this poem...very well expressed, please check out my work sometime.thanks!

beautifulspiritThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Apr. 1, 2012 at 9:54 am
I like this piece---the idea of the speaker finding resemblance with a natural element, such as water or fire attracts my attention. Usually, when fire is introduced in a poem it is associated with destruction or ot of control. This was not the case, and I must say I was pleasantly surprised.

GittaR said...
Apr. 1, 2012 at 4:55 am
I don't judge, I understand completly and as I read that poem my own memories....which I am sure are similiar to yours burned through. This is an amazing piece, I totally get it.

eddys96 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
i like this poem. its very hot

12zebraluv replied...
This resembles me by so much

NLURHS said...
Feb. 17, 2012 at 9:26 am
That was amazing I loved it, it just flowed, I could really imagine a flame when reading your poem, just simply amazing :D