Daddy's Womb This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

i asked my father if i could swim,
and he said that i would drown.
The Sea would imprison me – he said
if my feet had left the ground.

So i walked out to the water,
and cried out – how ’bout now!
He said, a little bit further, Son,
and then you’ll leave the ground.

i stepped on sand then stone,
from hollow ground to sturdy.
The sky was at my level as I
gazed at the birdie.

The Sea brought me a new idea,
the urge to flee to the high.

i asked my Father if i could fly,
and he said, sure, Son – go try.

i jumped as high as i could.
Still, i landed on the ground.
i saw my Father pull on a chain,
then i knew that i was bound.

Dbzfan836 said...
today at 7:30 pm:
This is genuine writing, sir! I am never going to let you stop, I will motivate you to the end.

LonglegsThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Aug. 8 at 6:36 pm:
The ending is suprising and slightly funny. Overall its a great poem! I really enjoyed. Keep writing.

Astro-slothThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jul. 16 at 6:58 pm:
Although I understand that this poem is supposed to be childish in nature; I find the complete lack of grammar makes it difficult to read.

TheraforeverThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jul. 11 at 3:31 pm:
I love this poem and will most likley read it perpetually till its words have no meaning. It is a phonmenal peice and tells a story with just the right amount of words and details. Never stop writing! :) - Thera

VanMartinThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jul. 5 at 10:29 pm:
Great poem. do you think you could check out my poems too? TeenInk.com/search.php?smodel=all&sall_uid=267391

KylieKylieMarieThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jul. 4 at 12:03 pm:
This poem is absolutly beautiful. I love it.

dani000.campThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jul. 4 at 1:20 am:
Emotional, drastic, innocent yet bold all at once. This is beautiful. I have so much more that I could say about it but I don't want to ruin something this masterful with my clunky words. I love this poem.

taymmarieThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jul. 2 at 1:59 pm:
This is beautiful poem. The tone shifts are so drastic, and it really intensifies the meaning of the poem. You are very talented! 

MindDrifter said...
Jun. 18 at 1:29 pm:
I love this poem. Best one i've read around here.

Roseate said...
Jun. 16 at 2:47 pm:
Love the twist at the end. I noticed how the "I" wasn't capitalized, but other words like "sea" and "father" were. I love that it symbolizes how the father and life (the "sea") are bigger than the speaker and so are able to bind the speaker to the ground/reality. Profound and concise. Love it!

JupiterTheJedi replied...
Jun. 16 at 11:32 pm :
I never thought about it that way before! I'm glad you mentioned that. A certain style of the way this is written makes it seem like this was written by a small child. (The i's make it seem more childlike, too.)

conman873 replied...
Jun. 22 at 11:39 am :
And in the third stanza when "the sea is at his level" the "I" is capitalized! Great symbolic detail throughout!

Navaswati said...
Jun. 14 at 10:53 am:
really loved the poem , so nicely written , what play of words and the last line gave it a golden feather .................  

Liv.HarrisThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jun. 13 at 4:11 pm:
LOVE this!!! Could you check out my story? It would mean a lot to me. :) TeenInk.com/fiction/thriller_mystery/article/686391/The-Dreams-that-Keep-Gettign-Darker/

thefailureofhopes said...
Jun. 9 at 6:29 am:
So well written, re-read so many times and never get bored

BrinaJo2018 said...
Jun. 5 at 12:01 am:
Every time I read this poem I love it more and more. Literally amazing. I know the "literally" might downplay the amazing to some people, but I mean it in the highest sense of the word. Absolutely fabulous!!!

DezaraeThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
May 20 at 11:48 pm:
The emotion displayed here was relatable and very well written. 

catwithglassesThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Jun. 4 at 7:18 pm :
This is a really great poem. Those last few lines really tie the whole thing together and are very touching. This is very well written. Great job!

PoeticPrincessThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
May 12 at 10:55 am:
This is an amazing poem, it really touched my soul. Great Job!!!   If you guys have time please check out mine thanks!

LiveProgressing said...
May 10 at 10:15 am:
I Feel sympathy with this poem and it's a great piece of work