God: Judgmental or loving?

So often, we paint Jesus as a picture of Love, and God as picture of anger. How can God be Judgmental and Loving? What is love? Lately I have been studying and praying about God and His love. I am amazed at how loving God actually is. Here are a few things that I am learning about God, judgment, and love.

God is perfect and holy; therefore He can not be involved in sin. He must judge it, He can't accept it. If God accepted sin, how could He still be holy and perfect? God is not going to go against His nature. God is consistent. He must deal with sin. It’s true: God is scary, big and powerful.

However God is also love! He does not just love, He is LOVE. God (Love) created us to love Him and be loved by Him. We were made to love others and receive love from others. Love is the big picture!
So why would God make us, if He knew we were going to fail? He knew we would sin, and He knew we would reject His love. Why didn’t God just make us robots? Then God could love us and always be loved with out the big sin problem.

The thing about God is: He wants REAL love. He doesn’t want a bunch of people to “love” Him because they have to. That’s not love. God wants us to choose Him. God gives us a choice to love or not to love. Sadly, humans have chosen to turn away from God’s love by sinning. Sin separates us from God. God hates sin. It’s the opposite of LOVE; it ruins our love relationship with God.

The good news is that God still loves us, even when we are separated from Him. He loves us the same, and He wants our love. He knows what real love is! He doesn’t want to send us all to hell, because of all our many Many mistakes! So what did God do?

“For God so loved the world that He gave His one and only Son, that whoever believes in Him, shall not perish but have eternal life.” John 3:16. God is Love. God loves the world. God sent His Son Jesus, to die for us. Jesus took on all our sin. Now we can know God (LOVE).

“God demonstrated His love for us…” “By this we know love, because He laid down His life for us” 1 John 3:16 God demonstrated his love, so that we could know love. So that we could know Him! What’s the point of being loved if you don’t know about it? God showed us His love so we could experience it.

Salvation is not about saying a prayer and doing whatever you want for the rest of your life. God is much deeper than that. God’s love is real. A relationship with God is about accepting God’s love, loving God, and loving others.

The point of “doing works” is not a burdensome list of rules. It’s simply reflecting God’s plan. When we do what is right, we are demonstrating our love to God. God wants a relationship with us. He demonstrated His love by sending Jesus. Our end of the relationship is to love God back, by demonstrating our love.

God always gives us a choice. We don’t have to demonstrate our love, but if we don’t want to, can we really call it love? The rules and commands don’t save us! Jesus justifies and makes us holy through His blood. That’s why a holy perfect God can be our friend.

“Faith without works is dead” because a relationship with out love is dead. Love should be put into action. We can’t love with out God’s love. When we receive God’s Love, we then have the capacity to love God and others. “We love because He first loved us!” 1 John 4:19

There is only one way to Heaven, and that is a love relationship with God, through what Jesus did on the cross. Even in Deuteronomy (An old testament book, full of rules) the heart is the most important thing. It mentions your “heart” forty-three times! It was always about a love relationship with God.

What happens when we mess up and sin again? Another awesome thing about God is that he can take a bad thing and use it for good. He can take your sin and use it as a love opportunity. It’s a chance for you to repent and once again try to live out the love. It’s also a time for God to love you, by forgiving you, even though you failed.

It’s really all about love! The more I read the Bible the more I find about how loving God is. There are countless verses and stories! I recommend reading 1 John, or better yet the whole Bible! Its just one love letter after another.

bec1111 said...
Feb. 18, 2011 at 10:01 am
Just a thought that I had... would it be possible to teach all these moral values without the God or religion aspect of it? I mean what if you were to explain it to someone of a completely different religion? I believe it's all true, especially about the love and the choosing not to sin stuff, but I'm also extremley aware of other religions. Growing up with parents of two completely different religions has taught me to be open-minded and understanding of all religions.

TheJust This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Mar. 29, 2011 at 9:37 am

P.S That was not meant as a bashing or an insult, simply what God said.

If you have anymore questions, you may like to check out my articles Religion or Relationship pt.1 and 2...they talk a lot more about that.

HisPurePrincess This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Rock on!  I'm commenting again because I changed my screen name.  I really, really, really love and totally agree 100% with this article!  read some of my stuff if you would.

peachesjk said...
Great article! I absolutely agree with all of the words you said! 

FireandWater This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
i love this!  

DreamsAreBroken said...
love it! everyone always makes out like god is evil and truly more of a devil than a god. but i love it bcuz god is all of these things

shinegirl24 said...
That is gorgeous! I loved it. So true!

KrystalT said...
Nov. 27, 2010 at 9:20 am
I liked this article, allthough I don't have the same faith as you do. I still think it is a very good article. I'm happy that you didn't slander anybody, only pointed out the great things that you believe. I think you are a great writer and encourage you to keep doing it.

Superblyme said...
I absolutely LOVE this! I came to tears reading it. I am very glad you wrote this and published it. You are an amazing writer. I couldn't stop crying, this has a very powerful meaning to me.

BandGeek833 said...
Hello hello! Concerning fearing God, we should fear Him because of His awsome power but that does not mean we do not have free will. God allows us to make the choice to serve Him or live a life of plesure on this earth, He does not force us to serve or condem us from birth to a life of punishment. Instead He gives us a choice, the choice to live a life for Him and be saved or not and then face judgment. But we should fear Him for the fact that He will judge us one day, but as we grow in ser... (more »)

spiritualrevelationrevealspainandrevolution replied...
the scripture quote on the last part of your comment makes what you said hypocritical.if god is love, and our most pleasant state is love then why would we fear god?

Magsie replied...

The fear that that verse is talking about is completely different from the scared sort of fear.

Fearing God is talking about obeying and respecting him, not being afraid of him. You fear God in the same way you fear your parents.

BlueRain replied...
"make a choice to serve Him OR live a life of pleasure on this earth"? That's what I don't like about religion, especially you're explanation about it. It keeps you in through fear. Sure, then there's this flowery version you have, but it's still all through fear. I don't do good things because I fear the wraith of a god. I do good things because I LIKE TO. I refrain from doing bad things because I HAVE MORALS. I don't fear my parents. Fear and respect are two different things. You don't gain... (more »)

Bandgeek833 replied...
I agree with you that the fear we have of God is not to be a "scared to death" fear, but it must be that of great respect and knowledge that He is all powerful and to be the ultimate source of guidance in our lives! And so we come to do good in life in order to please the creator we love and respect because he desires works of good toward our fellow man. It is beautiful that the creator desires us to have a moral compass, and work to love more deeply.

silent-one said...
o and even though we were stuck in sin he provided the way out through jesus . thats the best gift anyone can ever recieve.

silent-one said...
i like this article. i understand exactly what you mean. we had the free will but hey adam and eve kind of messed that up in the garden. i believe sin became a generational curse. but god is loving and merciful. but he is also JUST and fair.

OHlivia17 said...
Oct. 30, 2009 at 8:40 am
The thing I don't understand about God being so loving and forgiving is the concept of free will. God demands that we choose him, yet if we don't we are ultimately punished. Doesn't that wipe out the concept of free will? If we are given the option to believe or not believe but there is apparently only one actual choice, why be given the choice in the first place? In terms of religious belief I'm on the fence between Agnostic and Atheist. It just seems to me that there is a s... (more »)

ThePhantom replied...

That is an interesting way of looking at it.   I think that the error in your message is the thought of being punished.  Mankind(representative) made the choice to sin.  And now we have to make the choice to accept the payment of that sin.  If we don't we will suffer the consequences of our sin.   It is not punishment; it is reaping what we have sown.

God is not forcing us to choose him He is simple enforcing justice but He offers a free way out of ou... (more »)

PuzzleLuver replied...
I agree with the Phantom Mankind chose sin, but God gave us a way out by asking him to fogive us. He always will forgive you if you truely mean it. Like the article said God loves us so much and wants us to be with him he does not want us to sin, but we(a lot of mankind) have chosen it, Our free-will is shown through that. By my free will I can chose sin or I can choose faith and forgiviness either way there a conciquences (conciquences can be good). Personally I choose faith.

BlueRain replied...
But when one of the sins is not accepting him as God and believing in Jesus, isn't sin then inevitable for a non-believer? There is no "free will" in religion. There is one way or no way. Free Will: The power of acting without the constraint of necessity or fate; the ability to act at one's own discretion.