How Many Of You Hate America?

The common view of things is often different from the reality. They can be twisted, beautiful images that shield us from the truth. Sometimes people should think of it not as a shield, but as a blindfold. Because a world superpower is taking steps too far. By consuming more fossil fuels than is necessary, by standing still and making no military progression when it was needed, and by waging war on a country and attacking soldier and civilians over a mere dispute for oil. This “great” country, is America.

Many people look to America and sigh with envy at “the American Dream” . However, that dream cannot last long, while America is guzzling up precious resources left on a rapidly crowding planet. These figures speak for themselves about the evident greed of America:

Coal > Production
531,822,000 ton

Coal consumption
1,060,000,000

Commercial energy use
8,148.38

Electric power consumption > kWh
3,920,613,000,000 kWh

Electricity > Consumption
3,892,000,000,000 kWh

Gasoline prices
0.77

Geothermal power use
5,640

Natural gas > Consumption
652,900,000,000 cu m

Natural Gasoline > Production
12,275,000 ton

Nuclear electricity generation
780.1 terawatt-hours

Nuclear energy consumption
821.1 terawatt-hours

Nuclear reactors operable
104

Oil > Consumption
20,680,000 bbl/day

Oil > Exports
1,165,000 bbl/day

Oil > Production
8,457,000 bbl/day

Oil imports > Net
10,400,000 barrels per day

Oil reserves
22,450,000,000 barrels

Usage per person
8.35 TOE per person

Wall plugs > Voltage
110 V

Wind energy installation
6,740 MW

These crimes are forgivable, as other nations are guilty of many similar crimes, such as Brazilians chopping down the Amazon. But global warming is not the most important aspect that we can hold against America. America has extorted countries beyond the point of recovery. Equador, for example, was reduced to a poor scrabbling wreck once America dealt out loans to them. Now Equador only has 5% of its national budget to spend on public services, whilst the rest of the money goes into paying off foreign aid, almost all of which goes to America. Is this right? Is it fair that Americans can bully nations? Furthermore. America threatens, assasinates, and then goes to war with the presidents of countries who refused to run their countries as they like. The war with Iraq is a simple example. America wanted oil. Iran refused to give for no good reason. Why should we just let them do this to us? Us as a world?
Oh yes, because they have guns!

The U.S.A government is a trigger-happy collection of murderous power figures, They do so much to the world, and yet they have nuclear arms and their military to point at other nations, and say “give me your money!” They succeeded for so long due to pure fear, but now other countries have the chance to strike back. America doesn't have all the power anymore. A single grain of rice can tip a scale. Somehow, America has set in a system which everybody likes. A system where people don't think. Where they impulsively buy items that will break very soon. In America, only 10% of items bought for a house are kept for more than a month, and only 5% of those remain for 6 months. America designs products to be made so they break as soon as possible, but will still leave the client with faith in the product, enough so to buy themselves more.

But who benefits from this system?

The aristocrats do. Right up in their trees, lording over us. There are bankers who awarded themselves millions of dollars in bonuses whilst creating a recession that would cripple thousands of struggling individuals around the world. This doesn't cause stress for people living on government benefits, but for the people who are just above the poverty line. America makes those people struggle and work every day. It does so by enforcing a system where the elite (namely money-posessing) people take hold. Can nothing be done to create a fair and happy world?

Well, there is something you can do. You can be fair. You can be smart, and you can think before reaching for your credit card while watching an auction channel. You can PAUSE and WAIT before buying that “wonderful new shave”. We have to know our limitations, and stretch them. Whoever is reading this, YOU are the workforce. You are the people economically enslaved. There is hope. You can work together towards goals such as Project Venus, Save The Forests, Oil Conservation, and Fairtrade. These small lifestyle changes will help you sleep at night. How can we sleep after reading this, knowing that we are only here through the turmoil and suffering of potentially hundreds of other men, women and children.

When a child reaches to the future, who will have the heart to say, “we've used it up, son.”

Katiebean said...
I understand that you have a right to free speech and all that, but can you seriously base the value of a country on its consumption?  You may have posted those numbers but what about comparing them to the amount of Americans and density in which we use these resources and compare them to other countries? I am not defending our use: we are spoiled. But really, look at other numbers and pieces of data.  Did you know that the U.S. has the highest ouput of engineers, (beating China and In... (more »)

Willful_Destruction replied...
Feb. 16, 2011 at 11:10 pm :

Exactly! And did you see the State of Union Speech and the proposals Obama has sent to Congress over the last few weeks/months? This article says we are bullies, that we consume the world and "rule" (Psh!) by fear, but we are cutting money back from our military and investing it in new teachers, solar power research, faster ways to travel, etc. Our goal is to, what, have so many electrically powered cars on the road in five, ten, fifteen years? 

And I agree wholeheartedly with the... (more »)

spiritualrevelationrevealspainandrevolution said...
Sept. 18, 2010 at 2:33 am:
BEST THING ON THIS WEBSITE! I swear  iv been waiting forever for someone to say this as a fact:america lives by the sword, and can be blindly ignorant. read adbusters, check out billboard liberation front, and try anti flag and immortal technique

spiritualrevelationrevealspainandrevolution replied...
Sept. 18, 2010 at 12:48 pm :
wait but yeah, if you live in the uk.... COMPLAIN ABOUT THE UK DUDE! not to say your as bad, but pretty close and your prime minister kissed the butt of bush althrough his hostage of america

sarabeara This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I know from personal experience in Europe that not all europeans have the greatest view of Americans.  That, I accept. America does earn its reputation of the overpaid higher class individuals that the normal class seems to give into and let them absorb not only capital, but conversations and influence on youths. I am however and American, that lives in America, that has actual experience here.  If you'd like to judge our country, why don't you try living it first?

StarlightStormcloud said...
I can't believe you're from the UK.  This is pretty disrespectful in that it makes huge generalizations that lack analytical and factual backup.  It's theatrical and also very stupid.  Okay, so I let my legs stay hairy and this is supposed to save the world how?  I am sickened by the lack of faith in the country that has provided so much for us (us living here, that is).  Using "America" in your title was inappropriate and ignorant.  All of the stats you gave and po... (more »)

1fitzy17 replied...
Aug. 27, 2010 at 10:38 pm :
Absolutly true. the US and UK are the greatest allies in the world. Don't forget: We've bailed your butt (wish I could say worse) in wars and conflicts so many times! Also, the UK has like 10 nuclear warheads. We have 1,200, and are the most powerful in the world.

Sept. 18, 2010 at 2:39 am :
Right! so we should blow them up to prove a point! britain watch out, were about to cement the fact that we are the most secretly corrupt, and war obsessed nation that has been written in history!Woooooooooooohhhh! yeah!(p.s. serious about the nuclear war thing, if we invaded an impoverished country for largely monetary purposes think of what redemption well need for that unfortunately true insult!)

SakethBalaji replied...
Sept. 18, 2010 at 5:31 am :

Is it true that UK has only 10 warheads?

yay!!! indias got about 70

Oct. 10, 2010 at 12:13 am :
im smellin apocalypse, lets go for it buddy!

MiaMia12 replied...
Mar. 10, 2011 at 9:08 pm :

And yet, I have to wonder if it is always our fault that we go to war. Since you obviously haven't noticed, as we are seen the most powerful (and most consuming) nation in the world, we are also seen as the leaders. You might all want to hate us and say that we are horrible, but when a country is thrown into a civil war, are being terrorized, or are rebelling against their unjust government, who do the other nations run to? The United States of America. And yet, despite all the good we have d... (more »)

saimne This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Oh my goodness!! i just saw where you r from! its one thing to have an AMERICAN complain about america, but a FOREIGNER?! great.

this is absolutely RIDICULOUS! this nation should not be held as responsible for the consumption of oil, when there are other countries, cough cough China, are consuming at the same rate! iraq has NOTHING to do with oil since we get more than enough from canada and south/central america! trigger happy? ha! other countries strike back? what have we done to them?! the only enemies we hav are authoritarian, corrupt, dictatorships who envy our DEMOCRACY!

1fitzy17 replied...
Aug. 27, 2010 at 10:40 pm :
Thank you! Many people here in the US feel we aren't great. But we're spoiled! Almost every new government is based on ours.

Sept. 18, 2010 at 2:41 am :
as a majority were definitely spoiled monetarily, but no matter how many nice things we have the blood of thousands of innocents still stain our flag

SakethBalaji replied...
Sept. 18, 2010 at 5:34 am :

its because of your great government that you faced recession and your government is so afraid of indians and chinese stealing allthe jobs that you have to impose laws on companies to stop outsourcin

BTW indias government is not based on USA s and we are the worlds largest democracy

Sept. 18, 2010 at 12:54 pm :
awesome man, but doesnt some of india have a class system? you guys should riot against that!, but again im not sure

cornflake52 said...
i love the headline! and its funny because you don't realize how messed up a place is if u live in it and seeing as even teens are realizing that america will collapse soon if we keep it up its probably worse then we think we know 

toxic.monkey said...
Jul. 14, 2010 at 2:35 pm:

I cringed when I read your title. You knew that if you went there, you'd get a big bashing up, right?

Okay, you might have facts, strong imagery, a scapegoat- very persuasive? not really. because most people today are ready to say that they or their ancestors hold fault for doing something wrong and continuing today, but they also know that they're not the only ones to blame. USA is not the only country that uses fossil fuels and lends money to countries. We as a world hav... (more »)

Seabosking05 said...
Jun. 22, 2010 at 6:43 pm:
I also believe you left out that the UK is also a huge super country responsable for many worldd issues

saimne This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Aug. 27, 2010 at 1:13 pm :
thank you! i was very irked when i saw the author was from outside this country!!