How Many Of You Hate America? | Teen Ink

How Many Of You Hate America?

By Eilina Sealtman SILVER, London, Other
Eilina Sealtman SILVER, London, Other

The common view of things is often different from the reality. They can be twisted, beautiful images that shield us from the truth. Sometimes people should think of it not as a shield, but as a blindfold. Because a world superpower is taking steps too far. By consuming more fossil fuels than is necessary, by standing still and making no military progression when it was needed, and by waging war on a country and attacking soldier and civilians over a mere dispute for oil. This “great” country, is America.

Many people look to America and sigh with envy at “the American Dream” . However, that dream cannot last long, while America is guzzling up precious resources left on a rapidly crowding planet. These figures speak for themselves about the evident greed of America:

Coal > Production
531,822,000 ton

Coal consumption
1,060,000,000

Commercial energy use
8,148.38

Electric power consumption > kWh
3,920,613,000,000 kWh

Electricity > Consumption
3,892,000,000,000 kWh

Gasoline prices
0.77

Geothermal power use
5,640

Natural gas > Consumption
652,900,000,000 cu m

Natural Gasoline > Production
12,275,000 ton

Nuclear electricity generation
780.1 terawatt-hours

Nuclear energy consumption
821.1 terawatt-hours

Nuclear reactors operable
104

Oil > Consumption
20,680,000 bbl/day

Oil > Exports
1,165,000 bbl/day

Oil > Production
8,457,000 bbl/day

Oil imports > Net
10,400,000 barrels per day

Oil reserves
22,450,000,000 barrels

Usage per person
8.35 TOE per person

Wall plugs > Voltage
110 V

Wind energy installation
6,740 MW

These crimes are forgivable, as other nations are guilty of many similar crimes, such as Brazilians chopping down the Amazon. But global warming is not the most important aspect that we can hold against America. America has extorted countries beyond the point of recovery. Equador, for example, was reduced to a poor scrabbling wreck once America dealt out loans to them. Now Equador only has 5% of its national budget to spend on public services, whilst the rest of the money goes into paying off foreign aid, almost all of which goes to America. Is this right? Is it fair that Americans can bully nations? Furthermore. America threatens, assasinates, and then goes to war with the presidents of countries who refused to run their countries as they like. The war with Iraq is a simple example. America wanted oil. Iran refused to give for no good reason. Why should we just let them do this to us? Us as a world?
Oh yes, because they have guns!

The U.S.A government is a trigger-happy collection of murderous power figures, They do so much to the world, and yet they have nuclear arms and their military to point at other nations, and say “give me your money!” They succeeded for so long due to pure fear, but now other countries have the chance to strike back. America doesn't have all the power anymore. A single grain of rice can tip a scale. Somehow, America has set in a system which everybody likes. A system where people don't think. Where they impulsively buy items that will break very soon. In America, only 10% of items bought for a house are kept for more than a month, and only 5% of those remain for 6 months. America designs products to be made so they break as soon as possible, but will still leave the client with faith in the product, enough so to buy themselves more.

But who benefits from this system?

The aristocrats do. Right up in their trees, lording over us. There are bankers who awarded themselves millions of dollars in bonuses whilst creating a recession that would cripple thousands of struggling individuals around the world. This doesn't cause stress for people living on government benefits, but for the people who are just above the poverty line. America makes those people struggle and work every day. It does so by enforcing a system where the elite (namely money-posessing) people take hold. Can nothing be done to create a fair and happy world?

Well, there is something you can do. You can be fair. You can be smart, and you can think before reaching for your credit card while watching an auction channel. You can PAUSE and WAIT before buying that “wonderful new shave”. We have to know our limitations, and stretch them. Whoever is reading this, YOU are the workforce. You are the people economically enslaved. There is hope. You can work together towards goals such as Project Venus, Save The Forests, Oil Conservation, and Fairtrade. These small lifestyle changes will help you sleep at night. How can we sleep after reading this, knowing that we are only here through the turmoil and suffering of potentially hundreds of other men, women and children.

When a child reaches to the future, who will have the heart to say, “we've used it up, son.”

Many of you will be enraged by this article. I mean no offence to any human being, merely a minority's actions. And if you can condemn a terrorist group, can you condemn a group of terrorist that don't use guns and use the American people to shield themselves?

fireflies said...
i love america and don't care what u think. the country i live in is definatly not the worst in the world but you are making it seem like it is. what can i say we do have a lot of power. but we do care about the planet and we are the first to help other countries when they are in need but everyone still hates us. Even though i dont agree with you this was well written!

wowurcool said...
yeahh i agree with you. America is a great place to live! and answering the question in the title of the artical no i DO NOT hate America :) I am soooo greatful that i live here

gopens said...
i dont agree with this artical, however it is very well written

Tyler Lilja said...
America is a very unfair country. This is a shame what they are doing, somebody needs to put a stop to this unfair treatment

Jessi Jordan said...
on Sep. 22 2009 at 11:41 am
Jessi Jordan, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
The students commenting this article are childish. Quit being immature and acting as if this website is a chat room.

About the article; it was well thought out and researched. I think the leaders of America need to take a second look at what is going on. And the people of America need to also. It's serious, and though the problems that will come of this if it continues may not meet us in our lifetime, it's creating a hassle for the people in the very near future.

on Sep. 19 2009 at 2:20 am
SILLYKITTY BRONZE, Kjn, Other
I see this as a very well-informed and researched article, argued well. I agree with a lot of the points you made, though I think you were misguided in your title regarding "who hates America"; this was more about why America is so flawed.

Someone made a comment about "aristocrats" being "better" in terms of intelligence and so on. I find a flaw in this - so-called aristocrats for the most point these days are only able to get so far in life because of what they have inherited. It is their ancestors who have worked for their fortunes. Poor people who can work their way up in the world - these are the truly strong, intelligent people who set goals and succeed, never accpeting defeat. "Aristocrats" benefit from inheritance, if we are referring to true aristocrats. For me being born to a rich family does not define success. This is in response to Darr K.s comment by the way...sorry for ranting, I just get so worked up by people who feel they are entitled to everything just because another person fails to come up to their level :)

zakkw said...
on Sep. 17 2009 at 11:18 am
america does use many resources but maybe you should look at china first who researchers say in the next 10 years they will need a whole other earth to support them

on Sep. 11 2009 at 11:38 am
BigCesar BRONZE, America, Tennessee
1 article 0 photos 1 comment
thanks Shane

kim gay said...
on Sep. 11 2009 at 9:35 am
kim gay, Philidelphia, Pennsylvania
lady from london, i didn't find your article very nice. america is awesome and it breaks my heart that you would make an article about who hates america. USA!

Kadski said...
on Sep. 8 2009 at 2:38 am
Kadski, Phoenix, Arizona
Well yes that is part of the cycle of live, those who are more intleligent, stronger, and better are able to suceed. That is why we have social classes, for us to be at the top there has to be someone at the bottom. Why do we "aristocrats" benefit so much? Because we don't decide to ride through life just trying to get by, we set goals, we suceed, and we never accept defeat. Reffering to our sucess as "crimes" is insulting and an uneeded thing. We are on top, and that means we have to step on a few toes to get here.

TheFitfulFire BRONZE, Houma, Louisiana
We Americans, I admit, need to look into other sources of energy, if only to save money on the cost of importing it. We've a large store of natural resources such as oil shale in the barren stretches in Alaska. Will we touch it? No. But I digress.

I beg you, look not only to this, my great country, but to others as well. China and India, for example, are just coming into their industrial age. If you want to talk about the wasting of resources, look there as well.

a_bunch_of_nuns, Unknown, Wisconsin
Let's see...first off: good artical. You stated your point and gave reason, backed it up. I think this is an amazing example of 'show, don't tell.'

Now, I agree with you on this one. America is my home, so I love it for that reason straight off, but it's true: what the contry is doing to the planet is horrible. But not all Americans think or do what you suggest. I feel as though America is being streotyped. We care about the planet, too, although some people don't see in that light. I don't like what this contry is doing as a whole to the planet--or other contries, but not all Americans agree that we should be doing those things.

My advice to you as a writer--not as any other minority; as a writer--look at both sides of your story. Make sure you have all the facts.

To make things clearer: let's say you have a pie. And let's say you like ______ kind of pie, and your friend wants _______ kind of pie. You don't like your friend's kind of pie, and your friend doesn't like yours. So, you make half the pie you kind and half your friends' kind. When it's baked, you split it in half, so you and your friend each get your chosen halves. But you see your friends half, and you remember you REALLY don't like that kind of pie. You have your doubts on your own half pie. Do you still eat it?

But, I do see your point, and I think it's great that you stated your opinion. And: I hope that you don't see America as just and ONLY a big ball of grime and gas.