How Many Of You Hate America? | Teen Ink

How Many Of You Hate America?

By Eilina Sealtman SILVER, London, Other
Eilina Sealtman SILVER, London, Other

The common view of things is often different from the reality. They can be twisted, beautiful images that shield us from the truth. Sometimes people should think of it not as a shield, but as a blindfold. Because a world superpower is taking steps too far. By consuming more fossil fuels than is necessary, by standing still and making no military progression when it was needed, and by waging war on a country and attacking soldier and civilians over a mere dispute for oil. This “great” country, is America.

Many people look to America and sigh with envy at “the American Dream” . However, that dream cannot last long, while America is guzzling up precious resources left on a rapidly crowding planet. These figures speak for themselves about the evident greed of America:

Coal > Production
531,822,000 ton

Coal consumption
1,060,000,000

Commercial energy use
8,148.38

Electric power consumption > kWh
3,920,613,000,000 kWh

Electricity > Consumption
3,892,000,000,000 kWh

Gasoline prices
0.77

Geothermal power use
5,640

Natural gas > Consumption
652,900,000,000 cu m

Natural Gasoline > Production
12,275,000 ton

Nuclear electricity generation
780.1 terawatt-hours

Nuclear energy consumption
821.1 terawatt-hours

Nuclear reactors operable
104

Oil > Consumption
20,680,000 bbl/day

Oil > Exports
1,165,000 bbl/day

Oil > Production
8,457,000 bbl/day

Oil imports > Net
10,400,000 barrels per day

Oil reserves
22,450,000,000 barrels

Usage per person
8.35 TOE per person

Wall plugs > Voltage
110 V

Wind energy installation
6,740 MW

These crimes are forgivable, as other nations are guilty of many similar crimes, such as Brazilians chopping down the Amazon. But global warming is not the most important aspect that we can hold against America. America has extorted countries beyond the point of recovery. Equador, for example, was reduced to a poor scrabbling wreck once America dealt out loans to them. Now Equador only has 5% of its national budget to spend on public services, whilst the rest of the money goes into paying off foreign aid, almost all of which goes to America. Is this right? Is it fair that Americans can bully nations? Furthermore. America threatens, assasinates, and then goes to war with the presidents of countries who refused to run their countries as they like. The war with Iraq is a simple example. America wanted oil. Iran refused to give for no good reason. Why should we just let them do this to us? Us as a world?
Oh yes, because they have guns!

The U.S.A government is a trigger-happy collection of murderous power figures, They do so much to the world, and yet they have nuclear arms and their military to point at other nations, and say “give me your money!” They succeeded for so long due to pure fear, but now other countries have the chance to strike back. America doesn't have all the power anymore. A single grain of rice can tip a scale. Somehow, America has set in a system which everybody likes. A system where people don't think. Where they impulsively buy items that will break very soon. In America, only 10% of items bought for a house are kept for more than a month, and only 5% of those remain for 6 months. America designs products to be made so they break as soon as possible, but will still leave the client with faith in the product, enough so to buy themselves more.

But who benefits from this system?

The aristocrats do. Right up in their trees, lording over us. There are bankers who awarded themselves millions of dollars in bonuses whilst creating a recession that would cripple thousands of struggling individuals around the world. This doesn't cause stress for people living on government benefits, but for the people who are just above the poverty line. America makes those people struggle and work every day. It does so by enforcing a system where the elite (namely money-posessing) people take hold. Can nothing be done to create a fair and happy world?

Well, there is something you can do. You can be fair. You can be smart, and you can think before reaching for your credit card while watching an auction channel. You can PAUSE and WAIT before buying that “wonderful new shave”. We have to know our limitations, and stretch them. Whoever is reading this, YOU are the workforce. You are the people economically enslaved. There is hope. You can work together towards goals such as Project Venus, Save The Forests, Oil Conservation, and Fairtrade. These small lifestyle changes will help you sleep at night. How can we sleep after reading this, knowing that we are only here through the turmoil and suffering of potentially hundreds of other men, women and children.

When a child reaches to the future, who will have the heart to say, “we've used it up, son.”

Many of you will be enraged by this article. I mean no offence to any human being, merely a minority's actions. And if you can condemn a terrorist group, can you condemn a group of terrorist that don't use guns and use the American people to shield themselves?

on Mar. 11 2011 at 2:42 pm
SmileYourBeautiful, Columbia, Kentucky

You have a right to your opinion but I’m afraid to say you’ve made some false statements. We went to war with Iraq due to 9/11. Not because of oil? We do not bully nations. You’ve gotten that completely wrong. The only time we ever step in with another country is when we see the wrong doing of people that is not right. And if we gave out financial aid to every country that we have and not had them pay us back, we wouldn’t have any money. Like we pretty much do right now.

You want to talk about us being wasteful, how about you look at your aristocracy, who waste millions of your money each year? You really want to talk about our aristocracy? That’s complete hypocrisy. Those “aristocrats” that lord over us, actually make us richer. If it wasn’t for Bill Gates and the makers of Microsoft we wouldn’t be sitting here having this conversation because guess what there wouldn’t be a computer. Those bankers who get tons of bonuses, guess what if it wasn’t for them a lot of people wouldn’t have had the finances to build there homes. Those car companies that were bailed out, well thousands of people wouldn’t have a job. People that are rich, make US richer. They made their money on their own. Don’t sit there and be bitter just because you don’t have as much money as they do. We can’t all be socialist or communist because guess what? THAT DOES NOT WORK! Can we please look at the cold war/soviet union? Can we look at MOST socialist countries and see how much debt they are in? Guess what there’s no more magic dust (printing money, paying little taxes, and services that you can’t pay for), you can’t just sit there and nothing. You have to work for what you get. Every man is created equal but from then on you have to make something of yourself on your OWN. Life isn’t fair, it never will be. You probably need to get that through your mind. If it wasn’t for the U.S.A a lot of the world would probably be communist right now. Can we please go back to WW2? You really need to sit in a world history class and learn some things.

Before you open your mouth and start ranting about a country do some research and not be so bias and closed minded. I know were not the perfect country but nor is the United Kingdom, and acting like your superior to us, makes you look well stupid. But I will say that it was a nice article, seeing as you have gotten so much controversy. I will simply say though, that I do completely and totally disagree with you.

MiaMia12 said...
on Mar. 10 2011 at 9:08 pm

And yet, I have to wonder if it is always our fault that we go to war. Since you obviously haven't noticed, as we are seen the most powerful (and most consuming) nation in the world, we are also seen as the leaders. You might all want to hate us and say that we are horrible, but when a country is thrown into a civil war, are being terrorized, or are rebelling against their unjust government, who do the other nations run to? The United States of America. And yet, despite all the good we have done, we are still cast in the bad light, as this article has done. 

Take Libya for example. Right now we have them waiting for us to come in and bomb their government, to create a no-fly zone. But our government knows that the second we go there, we're going to get bad press, and everyone is going to say we went oil and that we're trigger-happy morons. And still, if we don't go and help we are going to be seen as selfish. Is there ever a win situation for us? 

on Mar. 6 2011 at 3:15 pm
spiritualrevelationrevealspainandrevolution PLATINUM, Eugene, Oregon
yeah, found that out a while ago, and ive sice learned turning to the newest pop culture outrage doesnt do much for an argument.

on Feb. 27 2011 at 5:36 pm
TheFitfulFire BRONZE, Houma, Louisiana

Well it's grand that you all use it, but how about opening it up to the rest of the nation? 

The mistake we made with China was getting in too deep with them. I'd hate to see what will happen if they ever decide to yank on the chain they have about our neck. 

on Feb. 27 2011 at 4:00 pm
zebrachic BRONZE, Anchorage, Alaska

Chance favors the prepared mind.

There is natural resources in Alaska and even though the whole country doesn't use it. We Alaskans do use it. I don't want to point fingers becuase the problems brought up are the entire world's problem but when the adults finally decide that our earth is worth saving, China would be a good place to start.

on Feb. 27 2011 at 3:42 pm
zebrachic BRONZE, Anchorage, Alaska

Chance favors the prepared mind.

But we are doing a lot more to go green then we were five years ago. Like we have recycling in every school, we do composting and such. I think that even though it isn't as much as we COULD be doing, we are still making a difference even if it is small.

on Feb. 27 2011 at 3:36 pm
zebrachic BRONZE, Anchorage, Alaska

Chance favors the prepared mind.

Actually Justin Bieber is from Canada... just saying..

on Feb. 24 2011 at 9:23 am
lizzyreilly PLATINUM,

American consumption might seem larger than the UK, but perhaps look at population differences to account for that. 310,877,000 people live in the US. Only 61,792,000 people live in the entire United Kingdom. That's about, if you'll excuse the estimation, five US citizens to every 1 UK citizen. Though, the US does consume 10 times more energy per capita than the UK. The US also produces more energy, though.

I believe that just because a country uses more energy does not mean they are evil. I think it only means they are more industrialized. Sure, there are some bad habits Americans have, but let's not forget the UK has itself a rather shady history of war, enslavement, and aristocrats taking advantage of the poor.

Let those without sin cast the first stone.

on Feb. 22 2011 at 8:05 am
kateknopp BRONZE, Carmel, Indiana

"Trade your guns and fire with doves; we fight for love, and peace will find us with harmony." -Christofer Drew

"Sometimes you've gotta fall before you fly."

"Be yourself; everyone else is already taken." -Oscar Wilde

all i have to say is forget the government. nobody cares about politics. they're not worth fighting over, so my work is done here. peace

Eureka. said...
on Feb. 21 2011 at 7:28 pm
Really, who are you to say exactly what this person is doing for the environment? I'm sure this author is doing as much as possible, and writing an article like this is certainly alerting others of the planet we are slowly murdering. You are correct to say that oil and other unrenewable resources have been limited from the begining, and the only thing to do is find another energy source that is helpful to the environment. If every single person on this planet rode bikes to work/school or whatever, it still wouldn't reverse what has already been done. The Earth is permenantly damaged, and it will take some serious thinking to revive this planet from the doom it's heading for. And I'm not talking about "2012" either.

on Feb. 16 2011 at 11:15 pm
Willful_Destruction, Chicago, Illinois
Such a stereotype. You obviously don't know much about (most) of the American school children here, because I am very aware of the outside world, as well as our own government failings/succeedings. You don't live here, you don't know our everday life. You only know of our government, how the rest of the world portrays us, and, as I said, stereotypes. 

on Feb. 16 2011 at 11:10 pm
Willful_Destruction, Chicago, Illinois

Exactly! And did you see the State of Union Speech and the proposals Obama has sent to Congress over the last few weeks/months? This article says we are bullies, that we consume the world and "rule" (Psh!) by fear, but we are cutting money back from our military and investing it in new teachers, solar power research, faster ways to travel, etc. Our goal is to, what, have so many electrically powered cars on the road in five, ten, fifteen years? 

And I agree wholeheartedly with the "but what about comparing them to the amount of America and density in which we use these resources and compare them to other countries" bit. 

I suppose the author only wanted to blame and show our bad side, while ignoring everybody elses and our good deeds? Hmph. 

Blackwing said...
on Feb. 16 2011 at 4:00 pm
Blackwing, Manassas, Virginia

Humans are born , then they die. Thus, is it not better not being born at all? You have to ask yourself, what you can acomplish in this short amount of time.

Thisis pointless. Oil and everything is bound to run down someday. there is no way to conserve it unless everyone stops useing these materials you listed. I bet you, who wrote this. don't even try to help the enviroment or future. You may post topics telling people to stop, but wn't work unless you do it. every single person who helps makes a diffrence.

on Feb. 16 2011 at 3:12 pm
aspiringauthor_ BRONZE, Fairfield, Connecticut

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness, only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate, only love can do that." - MLK Jr.

I didn't necessarily mean perfectly fine in every single way. I meant it as, "we are not a war torn country," "we are not like North Korea..." And if you don't have something nice to say, don't say it at all - a concept which this author clearly has not grasped yet.

on Feb. 16 2011 at 2:58 pm
WelshSam BRONZE, Caerphilly, Other

There are too many to choose from.

*cough* Britain *cough*

on Feb. 16 2011 at 2:55 pm
WelshSam BRONZE, Caerphilly, Other

There are too many to choose from.

I am Britsh also (Welsh), and am frequently disgusted by the ignorance of the average American. I despise the way they call the UK "England" and the way they are so ignorant of the rest of the world. How can they be so?!

on Feb. 16 2011 at 2:53 pm
WelshSam BRONZE, Caerphilly, Other

There are too many to choose from.

"Perfectly fine", yeah, ok.

LOL!!!!!!!!!

Joan39 said...
on Feb. 14 2011 at 9:16 pm
I love little more than books and animals, and little less than closedminded individuals.

on Feb. 13 2011 at 5:53 pm
EarthGirl BRONZE, Dallas, Texas

“Those who dwell among the beauties and mysteries of the earth are never alone or weary of life.”
“The earth we abuse and the living things we kill will, in the end, take their revenge; for in exploiting their presence we are diminishing our future."

And if you read my post, it's not just America's fault, thank you very much. It's everyone's. All I said was that America was one of the countries that added to the problem. :/

on Feb. 13 2011 at 5:51 pm
EarthGirl BRONZE, Dallas, Texas

Obviously, if most people cared, there wouldn't be global warming.