How Many Of You Hate America? | Teen Ink

How Many Of You Hate America?

August 21, 2009
By Eilina Sealtman SILVER, London, Other
Eilina Sealtman SILVER, London, Other
7 articles 0 photos 15 comments

The common view of things is often different from the reality. They can be twisted, beautiful images that shield us from the truth. Sometimes people should think of it not as a shield, but as a blindfold. Because a world superpower is taking steps too far. By consuming more fossil fuels than is necessary, by standing still and making no military progression when it was needed, and by waging war on a country and attacking soldier and civilians over a mere dispute for oil. This “great” country, is America.

Many people look to America and sigh with envy at “the American Dream” . However, that dream cannot last long, while America is guzzling up precious resources left on a rapidly crowding planet. These figures speak for themselves about the evident greed of America:



Coal > Production
531,822,000 ton


Coal consumption
1,060,000,000


Commercial energy use
8,148.38


Electric power consumption > kWh
3,920,613,000,000 kWh


Electricity > Consumption
3,892,000,000,000 kWh


Gasoline prices
0.77


Geothermal power use
5,640


Natural gas > Consumption
652,900,000,000 cu m


Natural Gasoline > Production
12,275,000 ton


Nuclear electricity generation
780.1 terawatt-hours


Nuclear energy consumption
821.1 terawatt-hours


Nuclear reactors operable
104


Oil > Consumption
20,680,000 bbl/day


Oil > Exports
1,165,000 bbl/day


Oil > Production
8,457,000 bbl/day


Oil imports > Net
10,400,000 barrels per day


Oil reserves
22,450,000,000 barrels


Usage per person
8.35 TOE per person


Wall plugs > Voltage
110 V


Wind energy installation
6,740 MW






These crimes are forgivable, as other nations are guilty of many similar crimes, such as Brazilians chopping down the Amazon. But global warming is not the most important aspect that we can hold against America. America has extorted countries beyond the point of recovery. Equador, for example, was reduced to a poor scrabbling wreck once America dealt out loans to them. Now Equador only has 5% of its national budget to spend on public services, whilst the rest of the money goes into paying off foreign aid, almost all of which goes to America. Is this right? Is it fair that Americans can bully nations? Furthermore. America threatens, assasinates, and then goes to war with the presidents of countries who refused to run their countries as they like. The war with Iraq is a simple example. America wanted oil. Iran refused to give for no good reason. Why should we just let them do this to us? Us as a world?
Oh yes, because they have guns!

The U.S.A government is a trigger-happy collection of murderous power figures, They do so much to the world, and yet they have nuclear arms and their military to point at other nations, and say “give me your money!” They succeeded for so long due to pure fear, but now other countries have the chance to strike back. America doesn't have all the power anymore. A single grain of rice can tip a scale. Somehow, America has set in a system which everybody likes. A system where people don't think. Where they impulsively buy items that will break very soon. In America, only 10% of items bought for a house are kept for more than a month, and only 5% of those remain for 6 months. America designs products to be made so they break as soon as possible, but will still leave the client with faith in the product, enough so to buy themselves more.

But who benefits from this system?

The aristocrats do. Right up in their trees, lording over us. There are bankers who awarded themselves millions of dollars in bonuses whilst creating a recession that would cripple thousands of struggling individuals around the world. This doesn't cause stress for people living on government benefits, but for the people who are just above the poverty line. America makes those people struggle and work every day. It does so by enforcing a system where the elite (namely money-posessing) people take hold. Can nothing be done to create a fair and happy world?

Well, there is something you can do. You can be fair. You can be smart, and you can think before reaching for your credit card while watching an auction channel. You can PAUSE and WAIT before buying that “wonderful new shave”. We have to know our limitations, and stretch them. Whoever is reading this, YOU are the workforce. You are the people economically enslaved. There is hope. You can work together towards goals such as Project Venus, Save The Forests, Oil Conservation, and Fairtrade. These small lifestyle changes will help you sleep at night. How can we sleep after reading this, knowing that we are only here through the turmoil and suffering of potentially hundreds of other men, women and children.

When a child reaches to the future, who will have the heart to say, “we've used it up, son.”


The author's comments:
Many of you will be enraged by this article. I mean no offence to any human being, merely a minority's actions. And if you can condemn a terrorist group, can you condemn a group of terrorist that don't use guns and use the American people to shield themselves?

Similar Articles

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 392 comments.


on Jan. 31 2012 at 5:06 pm
silentpeacock BRONZE, Whitney, Texas
1 article 1 photo 80 comments

Favorite Quote:
all it takes is all youve got

i dont agree with what is going on right now, but as an american i feel not only insulted but i really hope you dont blame me or any other random american for these things. i agree were arrogant. not me, my country. but the things we used to stand for and kinda still do are something worth being proud of. stuff like religious freedom and non-monarchy. i am proud of USA dispite its flaws. and p.s. why arent you griping about china? doesnt everything say 'made in china'?

Grace E. said...
on Jan. 27 2012 at 7:57 pm
Clopsey... the United States is one of the few places in the world in which you will not be killed for your postings. In China you would be killed. In Iraq you would be killed. In Iran you would be killed. The U.S. and Great Britain are two of the most free places in the world. About slave labor... the reason Chinese products (toys, clothes, and other sundry items) are so cheap is they have no minimum wage; thus employees are paid next to nothing. Furthermore, China is one of the most oppressed places in the world - they even limit how many children a family may have. If anyone attempted to pass anything like that in the United States they would get laughed right out of legislature. I have never heard China described as "open minded" before. The Chinese government kills: Christians, capitalists, political dissenters, and almost everyone who does not agree with their policies. I kid you not. In conclusion, there are only two classes in China: the rich and the poor. The rich have weaseled their way up the social ladder through their good connections. The poor have no way of escape because the government bans most of the things that would assist them to come up from their virtual slavery. Before I am judged for this post let me say this: I hate none. I am merely confused that someone would feel this strongly in this way.

on Jan. 23 2012 at 11:08 pm
countrygirl28 GOLD, Colleyville, Texas
15 articles 137 photos 74 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Expose yourself to your deepest fear. After that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free." -Jim Morrison
"Don't think or judge. Just listen." -Sarah Dessen

If you loathe our country so much, why are you still here? Americans are proud of their country and thankful for our freedoms. If you haven't noticed, not everyone promotes botox and changing outward appearence. Not everyone agrees with discrimination. You are judging others when you don't even know them. This is downright arrogant. America is a country proud of our history, proud of our military, proud of our rights and freedoms, and proud of our people. And you're sitting here telling the world that America is full of a bunch of selfish, homophobic, celeberity-worshiping, botox-encouraging, slavery encouragers, and a bunch of fatties? Maybe you should be more aware of your surroundings. Not EVERYONE agrees with these statements. To assume this is true is an insult to Americans everywhere.

on Jan. 23 2012 at 11:00 pm
countrygirl28 GOLD, Colleyville, Texas
15 articles 137 photos 74 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Expose yourself to your deepest fear. After that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free." -Jim Morrison
"Don't think or judge. Just listen." -Sarah Dessen

This is very true. Hating a whole country is just downright arrogant.

on Jan. 23 2012 at 10:58 pm
countrygirl28 GOLD, Colleyville, Texas
15 articles 137 photos 74 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Expose yourself to your deepest fear. After that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free." -Jim Morrison
"Don't think or judge. Just listen." -Sarah Dessen

While I respect your opinion, to really know what the US is like, you have to experience it first-hand. Our country does not go around shooting others for no reason. All of the government's military associations have specific tactics, whether we are aware of them or not. Many work hard to keep America the Beautiful just that. America was raised by our Founding Fathers, and London was raised differently. So, obvisously, there will be disagreement over what's right and what's wrong. But most importantly, we are proud of our country and those who serve it with honor. Our country relies heavily on our military, but what's wrong with that? We're not the only country who uses guns and nukes! So, as a strong American, I think it's redicilous to write about what a bad country we are without experiencing it's true beauty for yourself.

on Jan. 13 2012 at 2:05 pm
TerraAnimusPatronus BRONZE, Eden, North Carolina
1 article 0 photos 61 comments

Favorite Quote:
«You are either the best kept secret or just surrounded by blind people.»

im sorry but... why is america horrible again that it uses earths resources without giving it out. wow that sounds so much like every other country. america is in a place that is not as rich in oil and things of that sort so we have to buy it from other sto keep up with the times. but america gives the most freedom to its people if people really thought america was horrible and such why would so many people immigrat here to have better life just becuse you hate america doesnt mean your right in everyway and fashion if you hate america so much why even talk about it in the first place, if you hate burning your finger on the stove why put it back

on Jan. 10 2012 at 10:47 pm
YoungAndAware BRONZE, Not Yet., Ohio
1 article 0 photos 3 comments

Favorite Quote:
“Let it not be said that no one cared, that no one objected once it’s realized that our liberties and wealth are in jeopardy.”
― Ron Paul

I understand your resentment towards American apathy regarding earthly resources, but the apathetic people which constitute the majority of American society should not be condemned for their arrogance but rather pitied, though humiliation would only antagonize arrogance; but I'm sure you know that people adopting concepts from propaganda is not astonishing. What you must understand is that there is a significant difference between the Founding Father's recognition of America and the corporate UNITED STATES established by the Act of 1871 based in Washington D.C. (District of Columbia), a.k.a. the Federal Government. There is many more factors that contribute to this corruption friend, I can only ask that you empathize with this truth. Corporate lobbying, illegal crime organizations threatening our representatives and using them as puppets to pass and reject anything that is presented in our House of Representatives of Senate. Just search for the NDAA 2012 (National Defense Authorization Act of Fiscal 2012), which the BBC has probably already brought to your attention, and you will know of the despicably obvious corruption the minds of aware Americans (both young, like myself, and old) must endure. Just imagine your strife, annoyance, and agitation towards my country in which you don't reside in. My troubles are much greater, if I may be contemptible. Do not fuel hate towards my people, but sincere intolerance towards its culture. This article will only touch those who already know and agitate those who are at fault. I am sorry for the ways of my country, and you must know of my responsibilities as an enlightened citizen, but if my message is suppressed than how far will yours go?

on Jan. 6 2012 at 2:25 pm
spagooter PLATINUM, Indianapolis, Indiana
23 articles 0 photos 23 comments
what an ACE closing

on Dec. 17 2011 at 8:24 pm
savetheplanet PLATINUM, Anaheim, California
45 articles 9 photos 564 comments

Favorite Quote:
It is better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.

It doesn't invalidate the country's worth, but it's also not right to ignore pure facts because you don't like them.

on Dec. 17 2011 at 5:45 pm
Clopsey PLATINUM, Chapel Hill, North Carolina
41 articles 23 photos 28 comments
I can tell you from actually living in the US instead of just seeing on the news all the "evil" things we do, it's actually not that bad.  I'm part of that generation that's going to be paying back the debt and having to deal with expired resources. And I still love my country, even if you assume we must all be evil corporate racists/homophobes/polluters/whatever else. Just like the rest of the world, the majority of us just want to go to work, live our lives, and raise our families. You don't need to hate us for that. You can disagree with what we do, but why would you hate a whole nation of people? And, moreover, encourage other people to join your hate? How exceedingly arrogant, ignorant, and shallow.

on Dec. 17 2011 at 5:40 pm
Clopsey PLATINUM, Chapel Hill, North Carolina
41 articles 23 photos 28 comments
not angry about it criticizing the US, but a few negative statistics doesn't invalidate a country's worth. and it's not a bad thing to be proud of where your from, even if other people aren't. shouldn't every individual be proud of its heritage and culture, regardless of their race, creed, religion, etc?

on Dec. 17 2011 at 5:38 pm
Clopsey PLATINUM, Chapel Hill, North Carolina
41 articles 23 photos 28 comments
But watch out, because the US government is liable to snipe you if you speak out against it. China might be a nice place to start. Their government is very open-minded environmentally aware. And you won't find any of that pesky secret slave labor there, because no corporations means no oppression or inequality. And as for hypocrisy, are you criticizing people for being fat and body-oriented at the same time? But I will give you ignorance. I see a lot of that.

on Dec. 17 2011 at 5:32 pm
Clopsey PLATINUM, Chapel Hill, North Carolina
41 articles 23 photos 28 comments
Among the many things to loathe about this country is it's willingness to let you leave. If it makes you that unhappy, there are plenty of other countries. I'm sure you could find one that's entirely corruption-free, socioeconomically equal, celebrity-less, and perfectly accepting of the LGBTQ community (see: Iran, they're great with women's rights too). And MAYBE if you look hard enough you could find a country that donates more to other nations than the US (although statistics/facts may deviously suggest otherwise). Or a nation with a perfect history that must therefore predict a perfect future. And then be sure to tell people so that they can risk their lives to go there instead of to this hateful, arrogant, slavery-ridden, corporate dump of a place.

on Dec. 17 2011 at 5:24 pm
Clopsey PLATINUM, Chapel Hill, North Carolina
41 articles 23 photos 28 comments
Amen       

on Dec. 10 2011 at 8:09 pm
abnormal PLATINUM, Jonesboro, Georgia
24 articles 8 photos 44 comments

Favorite Quote:
Truth is eternal. Knowledge is changeable. It is disastrous to confuse them.

-Madeleine L'Engle

Ok, so I can sit here and tell you all the bad things about a certain country and leave out all the wonderful things that happen, just like you did.  Your the kind of people that create the terrible side of this country by generalizing everyone or... sterotyping.  Yeah, don't go pointing fingers at anyone until you look in the mirror.

on Dec. 10 2011 at 7:55 pm
swcricket98 GOLD, Williamson, Georgia
13 articles 17 photos 102 comments

Favorite Quote:
Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

Why don't you leave then?

on Dec. 5 2011 at 9:27 am
America on its worst day is better than any other country on its best day. Nough said

on Dec. 2 2011 at 10:09 am
beautifulspirit PLATINUM, Alpharetta, Georgia
35 articles 0 photos 1398 comments

Favorite Quote:
The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams.
--Eleanor Roosevelt

Okay, first of all your perception of Americans is so trite and overrated. We are not so trigger happy and pro-war as you might portray us---stereotypes like that feed other people's ignorance. Second of all, the United States did not go to war solely over an oil dispute. We went to war, to free people overseas.  And how is saying that you hate a country supposed to inspire change and progress? It is so easy to shine the light somewhere else so no one has to see your own flaws. I will admit that our country is far from perfect. In fact, I am horrified that our population makes up 5% of the world, but we consume 25% of the world's resources. I will say that you have a point addressing that issue. But I just cannot give up on the "American Dream." I still believe that this the land of opportunity. Here we are free to say what we what, become educated, and we have natural rights. But like any other country, we have our imperfections. Materialism, political corruption... the list goes on and on. But should we scrap our system completely or continue to fight for it? Please don't say that Americans are totally selfish and greedy. I guarantee that you will not find a completely, perfect utopia anywhere. 

on Nov. 10 2011 at 3:26 pm
musicalmisanthropist BRONZE, Bellville, Texas
1 article 0 photos 5 comments

Favorite Quote:
"There is but one absolute. And this is it." -Me

your comment gives me hope for mankind :)

on Nov. 10 2011 at 3:25 pm
musicalmisanthropist BRONZE, Bellville, Texas
1 article 0 photos 5 comments

Favorite Quote:
"There is but one absolute. And this is it." -Me

my opinion: it's not america, it's people