How Many Of You Hate America?

The common view of things is often different from the reality. They can be twisted, beautiful images that shield us from the truth. Sometimes people should think of it not as a shield, but as a blindfold. Because a world superpower is taking steps too far. By consuming more fossil fuels than is necessary, by standing still and making no military progression when it was needed, and by waging war on a country and attacking soldier and civilians over a mere dispute for oil. This “great” country, is America.

Many people look to America and sigh with envy at “the American Dream” . However, that dream cannot last long, while America is guzzling up precious resources left on a rapidly crowding planet. These figures speak for themselves about the evident greed of America:

Coal > Production
531,822,000 ton

Coal consumption
1,060,000,000

Commercial energy use
8,148.38

Electric power consumption > kWh
3,920,613,000,000 kWh

Electricity > Consumption
3,892,000,000,000 kWh

Gasoline prices
0.77

Geothermal power use
5,640

Natural gas > Consumption
652,900,000,000 cu m

Natural Gasoline > Production
12,275,000 ton

Nuclear electricity generation
780.1 terawatt-hours

Nuclear energy consumption
821.1 terawatt-hours

Nuclear reactors operable
104

Oil > Consumption
20,680,000 bbl/day

Oil > Exports
1,165,000 bbl/day

Oil > Production
8,457,000 bbl/day

Oil imports > Net
10,400,000 barrels per day

Oil reserves
22,450,000,000 barrels

Usage per person
8.35 TOE per person

Wall plugs > Voltage
110 V

Wind energy installation
6,740 MW

These crimes are forgivable, as other nations are guilty of many similar crimes, such as Brazilians chopping down the Amazon. But global warming is not the most important aspect that we can hold against America. America has extorted countries beyond the point of recovery. Equador, for example, was reduced to a poor scrabbling wreck once America dealt out loans to them. Now Equador only has 5% of its national budget to spend on public services, whilst the rest of the money goes into paying off foreign aid, almost all of which goes to America. Is this right? Is it fair that Americans can bully nations? Furthermore. America threatens, assasinates, and then goes to war with the presidents of countries who refused to run their countries as they like. The war with Iraq is a simple example. America wanted oil. Iran refused to give for no good reason. Why should we just let them do this to us? Us as a world?
Oh yes, because they have guns!

The U.S.A government is a trigger-happy collection of murderous power figures, They do so much to the world, and yet they have nuclear arms and their military to point at other nations, and say “give me your money!” They succeeded for so long due to pure fear, but now other countries have the chance to strike back. America doesn't have all the power anymore. A single grain of rice can tip a scale. Somehow, America has set in a system which everybody likes. A system where people don't think. Where they impulsively buy items that will break very soon. In America, only 10% of items bought for a house are kept for more than a month, and only 5% of those remain for 6 months. America designs products to be made so they break as soon as possible, but will still leave the client with faith in the product, enough so to buy themselves more.

But who benefits from this system?

The aristocrats do. Right up in their trees, lording over us. There are bankers who awarded themselves millions of dollars in bonuses whilst creating a recession that would cripple thousands of struggling individuals around the world. This doesn't cause stress for people living on government benefits, but for the people who are just above the poverty line. America makes those people struggle and work every day. It does so by enforcing a system where the elite (namely money-posessing) people take hold. Can nothing be done to create a fair and happy world?

Well, there is something you can do. You can be fair. You can be smart, and you can think before reaching for your credit card while watching an auction channel. You can PAUSE and WAIT before buying that “wonderful new shave”. We have to know our limitations, and stretch them. Whoever is reading this, YOU are the workforce. You are the people economically enslaved. There is hope. You can work together towards goals such as Project Venus, Save The Forests, Oil Conservation, and Fairtrade. These small lifestyle changes will help you sleep at night. How can we sleep after reading this, knowing that we are only here through the turmoil and suffering of potentially hundreds of other men, women and children.

When a child reaches to the future, who will have the heart to say, “we've used it up, son.”

Joan39 said...
Feb. 14, 2011 at 9:16 pm:
I love little more than books and animals, and little less than closedminded individuals.

Aspiringauhor said...
Feb. 12, 2011 at 1:32 pm:
I'm going to pretend none of the other comments were posted, because most of them were offensive. And now onto the topic of discussion. Your wonderful little article above. My first point: Something you said about Ecuador really was hurtful (to me at least). One, you spelled it wrong. Two, my school does a fundraiser for Ecuador to help education and other things there. I think you are sadly mistaken on what goes on over here... "Across the pond," as you may say. Kindly wait until you live in... (more »)

WelshSam replied...
Feb. 16, 2011 at 2:53 pm :

"Perfectly fine", yeah, ok.

LOL!!!!!!!!!

Aspiringauhor replied...
Feb. 16, 2011 at 3:12 pm :
I didn't necessarily mean perfectly fine in every single way. I meant it as, "we are not a war torn country," "we are not like North Korea..." And if you don't have something nice to say, don't say it at all - a concept which this author clearly has not grasped yet.

Sammie30 said...
Feb. 10, 2011 at 8:45 pm:

I think that some of you need to get out of your little fantasy world where America is always right and amazing. Sure, we have a good Constitution; I'm not arguing with that. A lot of countries have it worse. But we are the variable in the equation that equals global warming.

A + cites + oil= pollution and global warming

A=America

And it wouldn't be as bad if people cared. But most of them don't, and if they do, a lot of them don't do anything. I'm not complaining ... (more »)

Aspiringauhor replied...
Feb. 12, 2011 at 1:33 pm :
Actually, most people do care. I think you just don't care enough to do your research.

EarthGirl replied...
Feb. 13, 2011 at 5:51 pm :
Obviously, if most people cared, there wouldn't be global warming.

EarthGirl replied...
Feb. 13, 2011 at 5:53 pm :
And if you read my post, it's not just America's fault, thank you very much. It's everyone's. All I said was that America was one of the countries that added to the problem. :/

Dreamboat replied...
Mar. 22, 2011 at 2:53 pm :
I think that most people care, its just that most people are not informed of the issue or do not have a way out. In the words of one of my friends " Worrying about the environment is only for the rich and well of". You may not agree with this but i am not talking about Americans or British, Im talking about all the people in Africa and South America that have to burn wood or propane to heat their houses and cook thier food.

Hmmmmmm said...
Feb. 1, 2011 at 7:50 pm:
Honey, people do not DIE trying to get in to China or Russia. People have died trying to get into the U.S. That's because we are the first country to have our Constitution begin with "We The People of the United States." That means, the government does not rule us, they did not give us the rights, so they do not have the right to take those rights away from us unjustfully. Get the picture?

anton said...
 if you hate america so much, why do you post stuff on this site, which is american based?

ZombieDanceWithMe replied...
Apr. 5, 2011 at 8:57 am :
freedom of speech? who cares.

loveofgod said...
Are you joking? Who goes to other countries to stop dictators from killing their own people? Who has the most charities in the world? Who is the first democracy? The United States of America! Shame on you. 

leafy replied...
Jan. 27, 2011 at 7:17 pm :

which country emits a fourth of the world's greenhouse gasses but only uses up (about) 4.5% of the world's population? which country is number three in the most executions per year? which country has over 14 trillion dollars in national debt? you guessed it -- america.

although i will say, HELLO!?!! DO NOT COMPLAIN ABOUT AMERICA IF YOU DON'T LIVE IN IT!! COMPLAIN ABOUT ENGLAND AND HOW THEY (i bring this up from an earlier post) SPEND TONS OF MONEY ON A QUEEN THAT DOESN'T ... (more »)

earlybird_8 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Jan. 28, 2011 at 8:11 pm :
loveofgod- nothing personal, but the first documented democracies were in Ancient Greece. After that, the English Revolution set up a constitutional monarchy, wherein the people who had all the power were elected.

MiaMonster said...
Jan. 24, 2011 at 11:38 am:
why do you even care? We're the melting pot of the world and one of the superpowers, of course we're gonna take up a lot of resources copared to little old england!

WelshSam replied...
Feb. 16, 2011 at 2:58 pm :
*cough* Britain *cough*

AmericanBill replied...
Jun. 11, 2011 at 5:59 pm :
Like anybody cares *cough* WelshSam *cough*

janej said...
Jan. 13, 2011 at 11:21 am:

The message that the USA emits 25% of the world's greenhouse gases is important and could probably have been explained a bit better, and without such prejudice, in this article. It's important, though, that the issue was raised in the first place.

It's true, also, that China emits simiar volumes to the USA. The difference is that there are over 1 billion Chinese and approx. 220 million US citizens. Sorry if figures not perfect. But you get the picture.

It boils down to the fact ... (more »)

Kascsak said...

ok, lets talk about this Brit.  If we are so bad and need to put more time and money into other energy sources and conservation attempts, then why doesnt the British, Uk's, gov't stop putting money into a fake Queen that has no power in the said gov't and put that money into conservation and energy sources??

I do agree with you that America should change, I own a hybrid and am looking into an electric car, but its not a countries bad efforts or a Countries terrible doings, it is t... (more »)