Teen Baby Trend | Teen Ink

Teen Baby Trend MAG

Does today’s generation glamorize teenage pregnancy? About four in ten girls become pregnant before age 20. Annually, about 900,000 teenage pregnancies occur nationally – approximately 52 pregnancies per hour. Almost 40 percent of young mothers haven’t reached the age of 18 when they become pregnant.

An epidemic. How could something like teenage pregnancy ever become so popular that it’s considered an epidemic? Of course we all know the obvious reason for pregnancy, but one perplexing question is why aren’t teens being more ­responsible? One would think that young adults would know enough to be careful. However, not using protection isn’t always the cause of teenage pregnancy.

Surprising as it may seem, some teenage girls may choose to get pregnant because they don’t see any life goals within their reach other than motherhood. Some may be seeking the unconditional love of a child. Or maybe a young woman believes that having her boy­friend’s baby will make him want to stay with her. However, nearly 80 percent of these fathers do not marry the mother of their children.

Sadly, an intended pregnancy doesn’t hold the advantages that young people believe it will. I believe another cause is something many desire and thrive on: ­attention. Attention can cause a big (but false) boost in self-esteem. It provides a temporary happiness that is addictive for some.

If you pick up any magazine like People, Star, or Us Weekly, you are pretty much guaranteed to find at least one article about a pregnant celebrity. Millions and millions of people fawn over these stars. When celeb mommies spill the details about their ­little soon-to-be bundles of joy, people seek to emulate their glamorous lives.

One of the most popular confessional pieces in the ­media recently was about a famous teenage mother: Jamie Lynn Spears. She starred in “Zoey 101” – a popular Nickelodeon show among both tweens and little tykes – for only three seasons before she leaked to OK! magazine about her “surprising and shocking” pregnancy with her older boyfriend, Casey Aldridge.

For months, Jamie was on baby watch. Paparazzi followed her around begging for comments and pictures of her and her developing baby-bump. Every tabloid had something to say about Spears’s unborn child, and most of the articles were positive accounts of the support she was ­receiving from her parents and how she and Aldridge were planning to marry.

Another recent, highly public teenage pregnancy was that of Bristol Palin, daughter of Republican VP candidate Sarah Palin. The young lady’s secret was apparently not so secret in the close-knit Alaskan town where the Palin family lives. When the rest of the country found out, even more news coverage focused on the family.

Very public incidents like these impact regular teens. Not all blame should be placed on the media, however. Schools deserve some of the fault. Some have been known to enact “Bring Your Kids to School Day.” If that’s not encouraging young people to get pregnant, I don’t know what is. Think of all the attention a teen mother would receive as classmates ask about the silly behaviors of her little mini-me.

When it comes down to it, most people sympathize with young moms and commend them for toughing it out and taking care of their babies. But teenage pregnancy has been made into something it is not. It has been glamorized like a new, expensive pair of shoes. Teens may think they are ready, that all a baby requires is someone to feed it and change it every once in a while. Teaching sex education at schools isn’t enough anymore. Today’s teens must be taught the responsibilities that go along with raising a kid. Someone needs to stop children from having children of their own.

on Jul. 1 2010 at 12:48 pm
Xblue_raspberryX SILVER, Greensburg, Pennsylvania

I may not be Mrs. America or popular at school, but i do a lot of nice sh** in life. I want some attention too!

ya i heard this one skool isnt allowed to give the pledge of alegence because it says god in it, but this same skool actually GIVES OUT condoms. this is horrible how even skools are encouraging kids to have sex and that if you wear a condom your safe. it protects 98% of the time. so there is that 2% chance that the girl could get pregnant and the condom could break. im kinda iffy about the skools teaching about sex education in the fisrt place. all theyre doing is showing the kids how to  fool around so they are more likely to do it at that age.

on May. 18 2010 at 3:49 pm
LuckyDucky BRONZE, College Park, Maryland

“Promise me you'll never forget me because if I thought you would I'd never leave.” Winnie The Pooh

Thankfully, the number of teen pregnancies is very low.  I've only been there a year and have seen one legit pregnancy and three or four pregnancy scares.  I wish people would realize that waiting is the best (but hardest) thing to do.  If they do not wait then at least use birth control.  Teens today don't realizes the consequences of having a child at a young age.  I agree with you 100%. 

FoxyRoxy said...
on May. 18 2010 at 2:12 pm
I think that you did a very nice job!!  Why couldn't you have posted this earlier?  I had teen pregnancy as a debate topic recently.

on May. 18 2010 at 12:00 pm
kittttykat BRONZE, Sidney, Ohio

I really agree with this article.

I don't believe sex education works in schools. If anything, it encourages sexual activity.

on Apr. 26 2010 at 11:11 am
LOST_LOV3_12 SILVER, North Zulch, Texas

"Don't let the world get to you. if you do, you're in for a world of pain and despair."

this is very good. and i agree with you 100%. i go to a very big highschool here in texas and i see too many girls walking around with huge bumbs under their shirts and it makes me sad to see that. safe sex education isn't enough anymore, that's for sure. but the parents need to pay more attention.

on Apr. 4 2010 at 10:44 pm
SemiVeggie SILVER, Bellevue, Washington
Thank you so much for including in your essay that teen pregnancies are not always an accident. Adults often overlook the fact that some young women just want to be mothers. In addition to all the reasons you listed, sometimes your body sends you signs: for instance, having your period allows you to get pregnant (you're ovulating) and that is a pretty big natural sign that maybe you should. And natural, bodily signs are sometimes hard to ignore.

nathana said...
on Apr. 4 2010 at 6:39 pm
nathana, Canton, Ohio

"Life's a b!tch, because if it were a slut, it'd be easy." - Unknown

This a great essay! You are a very talented writer. The essay is filled with some excellent points. My only criticism is the last line. You wrote "Someone needs to stop children from having children of their own." Now, even though this is true, it is a phrase that has been used quite frequently. I would suggest maybe changing it to something more... I don't know... I don't want to say original, but something just different. I don't really know what, though, and maybe I'm totally wrong with that, but still. Great essay.

xoLiebexo said...
on Apr. 4 2010 at 3:35 pm

I get that being a teen mom would be hard, which is why teens shouldn’t be having sex before marriage. But denying that he’s your son is wrong. Kids need love and saying he’s not your child doesn’t make it seem like you love him, even if you do.

And I agree with this article. My friend’s mom was a teen mom and though my friend was adopted and has never meet her mom it still has an impact on her. Now, If teens were getting married then got pregnant it would be different, but until then teens need to think about their actions and wait.

on Apr. 4 2010 at 11:42 am
Anne Powdris SILVER, --, New Jersey
Wheat__Wheat:

I see your point. It is true that back then girls used to marry at a young age. However, the parents and relatives were involved. The couple would first be married. The parents would help their daughter in raising the baby and giving advice. Very rare was it that the father would leave his wife and child to live by themselves. And, not being surprising, girls back then were more responsible and mature, and better housekeepers. They were trained all their lives to take care of a household. Nowadays, not very usual.

SLC96 GOLD said...
on Feb. 19 2010 at 1:02 pm
SLC96 GOLD, McGill, Nevada

live life as if you won't see the future , laugh at yourself & your mistakes & love to the fullest.

this is a VERY well written and detailed essay. i LOVE it. i agree with everything you said. i have seen SO many shows like 16 & pregangt and Pregancy Pact and i think some of those shows (no mattter how much we love them) may be glamozrizng teen prgamgcy also. i really love your article. please keep up the good work. ;)

on Feb. 19 2010 at 10:15 am
toxic.monkey SILVER, Tashkent, Other

"Homo homini lupus"

this is a pretty good article... but it seems like the main point of it is that celebrities are glamourizing teen pregnancy .
my opinion is why should we be like celebrities if they are making wrong decisions? get a mind of your own, people, grow up, go to planned parenthood and get on the pill or buy freaking condoms until you know you're ready!

on Feb. 19 2010 at 9:16 am
alayapoetgirl BRONZE, St. Louis, Missouri

Life is hard; but it's harder if you're stupid. -John Wayne

This article is extremely well-written! Wow, it is great! When you get the chance check out my opinion essay on animal rights/vegetarianism

on Feb. 19 2010 at 8:34 am
Peace420 BRONZE, Williston, Florida
Over christmas break, there was a car crash involving a teen mother who just had her baby three months ago died because she didn't wear a seat belt and the driver was also a teen and she lost control of the car and she died too, but it just makes me mad that the baby is not going to know her mother. RIP M.C. and T.O.

on Feb. 4 2010 at 12:27 pm
AnneOnnimous BRONZE, Peterborough Ontario, Other

"Saying 'I notice you're a nerd' is like saying, 'Hey, I notice that you'd rather be intelligent than be stupid, that you'd rather be thoughtful than be vapid, that you believe that there are things that matter more than the arrest record of Lindsay Lohan. Why is that?' In fact, it seems to me that most contemporary insults are pretty lame. Even 'lame' is kind of lame. Saying 'You're lame' is like saying 'You walk with a limp.' Yeah, whatever, so does 50 Cent, and he's done all right for himself."
— John Green

can you even imagine how hard it is to have a future if you have a baby?? of course they have a hard time and deserve our sympathy a bit- but it was their decision and if we support them completely the rates of pregnant teens will only go up. And it isn't the classmates of these teens who are making them drop out- it is the sheer amount of work it requires to care for a baby and do a good job at school.

on Jan. 28 2010 at 7:29 pm
cybelle14 BRONZE, Asheville, North Carolina
This is completly insane. I've been reading all the posts, and I've seen so many posts on girls 12 and 13 being pregnant . Why the hell would you have sex at 13? You're still a kid... I understand if its like rape or something but by choice it is just crazy. Btw, this is a good article, wheat_wheat:)

on Jan. 28 2010 at 7:25 pm
It was never okay EVER for a 14 year old to marry a 20 year old. You're missing the point. If someone is getting pregs & it's happening to your friends & your family then yes go and judge; have a problem with itI'm simply saying that yes teens have no idea how much trouble a child is & they shouldn't have a kid young unles they are ready ( Which 99% are not) I'm simply saying that we have no place to make judements on these girls, if you think they're having a stressful time then why is it that they're called whores and sluts ? Again, it's a choice that they have made not you.

MJBlack said...
on Jan. 28 2010 at 7:19 pm
Yes well my Grandmother was 13 when she had her first child and was 14 when she was married; your point isn't coming out. I have yet to even see what your trying to convince others of. I'm just saying if someone is 14 & wishes to have a child then let them be. Like I said we have NO place to judge others personaly choices; no place what so ever!

on Jan. 28 2010 at 6:09 pm
Lost-In-Life GOLD, Whitby, Other

It's never to late, if it weren't for the last minute many things would never get done!

I completely agree. Teenagers think they are ready but know nothing! Great Article!

on Jan. 28 2010 at 4:20 pm
LonWolfzHowl BRONZE, Mt.morris, Michigan

Never say the world owes you anything. It was here First!!

When did the trend start that girls count cherries poped instead of how many cherrie cokes they've had that week?

on Jan. 28 2010 at 4:18 pm

it is soooo nt the other kids. These girls walk around with prodrudening bellies that just seem out of place. But they should make provisons for the future if they find that they're pregnant . But that doesnt mean they should go around jus doing whatever they could catch something