Teen Baby Trend | Teen Ink

Teen Baby Trend MAG

Does today’s generation glamorize teenage pregnancy? About four in ten girls become pregnant before age 20. Annually, about 900,000 teenage pregnancies occur nationally – approximately 52 pregnancies per hour. Almost 40 percent of young mothers haven’t reached the age of 18 when they become pregnant.

An epidemic. How could something like teenage pregnancy ever become so popular that it’s considered an epidemic? Of course we all know the obvious reason for pregnancy, but one perplexing question is why aren’t teens being more ­responsible? One would think that young adults would know enough to be careful. However, not using protection isn’t always the cause of teenage pregnancy.

Surprising as it may seem, some teenage girls may choose to get pregnant because they don’t see any life goals within their reach other than motherhood. Some may be seeking the unconditional love of a child. Or maybe a young woman believes that having her boy­friend’s baby will make him want to stay with her. However, nearly 80 percent of these fathers do not marry the mother of their children.

Sadly, an intended pregnancy doesn’t hold the advantages that young people believe it will. I believe another cause is something many desire and thrive on: ­attention. Attention can cause a big (but false) boost in self-esteem. It provides a temporary happiness that is addictive for some.

If you pick up any magazine like People, Star, or Us Weekly, you are pretty much guaranteed to find at least one article about a pregnant celebrity. Millions and millions of people fawn over these stars. When celeb mommies spill the details about their ­little soon-to-be bundles of joy, people seek to emulate their glamorous lives.

One of the most popular confessional pieces in the ­media recently was about a famous teenage mother: Jamie Lynn Spears. She starred in “Zoey 101” – a popular Nickelodeon show among both tweens and little tykes – for only three seasons before she leaked to OK! magazine about her “surprising and shocking” pregnancy with her older boyfriend, Casey Aldridge.

For months, Jamie was on baby watch. Paparazzi followed her around begging for comments and pictures of her and her developing baby-bump. Every tabloid had something to say about Spears’s unborn child, and most of the articles were positive accounts of the support she was ­receiving from her parents and how she and Aldridge were planning to marry.

Another recent, highly public teenage pregnancy was that of Bristol Palin, daughter of Republican VP candidate Sarah Palin. The young lady’s secret was apparently not so secret in the close-knit Alaskan town where the Palin family lives. When the rest of the country found out, even more news coverage focused on the family.

Very public incidents like these impact regular teens. Not all blame should be placed on the media, however. Schools deserve some of the fault. Some have been known to enact “Bring Your Kids to School Day.” If that’s not encouraging young people to get pregnant, I don’t know what is. Think of all the attention a teen mother would receive as classmates ask about the silly behaviors of her little mini-me.

When it comes down to it, most people sympathize with young moms and commend them for toughing it out and taking care of their babies. But teenage pregnancy has been made into something it is not. It has been glamorized like a new, expensive pair of shoes. Teens may think they are ready, that all a baby requires is someone to feed it and change it every once in a while. Teaching sex education at schools isn’t enough anymore. Today’s teens must be taught the responsibilities that go along with raising a kid. Someone needs to stop children from having children of their own.

Freedom_Cow BRONZE, Manhattan, Kansas

"If slaughterhouses had glass walls, we'd all be vegetarians." -- Paul McCartney
"I beseech thee to keep pure your highest ideals, strive ever towards them, let none stop ye or turn ye aside." -- The Charge of the Goddess

Yep. Being a teen mom sucks. But both of my parents are products from teen motherhood.

Even when from bad situations, good things can happen. It doesn't have to ruin your life because you made a mistrake. Having a kid when you're young will only wreak havoc on you if you let it.

I believe that even though a teenage girl may have a baby, she's not alone, she shouldn't be alone. She also has parents, because she, too, is a child. We all are. Lets just take care of each other.

Loves!

SunnyT BRONZE said...
SunnyT BRONZE, 324, Colorado

Beautiful people have ugly Souls!

Thank you this is VERY inspiring!!!

aspiringauthor_ BRONZE, Fairfield, Connecticut

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness, only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate, only love can do that." - MLK Jr.

I totally agree! :)

Gigantron GOLD said...
on Dec. 24 2010 at 11:19 am
Gigantron GOLD, Somewhere, Texas

"There is a fundamental difference between religion, which is based on authority (imposed dogma, faith), [as opposed to] science, which is based on observation and reason. Science will win because it works."

-Stephen Hawking

Finally, somebody actually gets it. Thank you for writing this article. It should be common knowledge that you SHOULDN'T have children unless you can financially and emotionally support them for the next 18+ years of your life. 

Don't condemn a child to a life of misery because you were thinking with your pants instead of your brain. 

emergingtalent SILVER, Riverton, Utah

Be who you are and say what you feel, Because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter won't mind. -Dr. Seuss

It's not fair to the baby either. The baby deserves a father and mother that can provide for it and love it. Teenagers have a lot on they're plate without having to worry abouta baby. Thank you for writing this article.

SomethingAwesome, Brick, New Jersey

"Don't ever take a fence down until you know the reason why it was put up." –G.K. Chesterton,

Very true, the parents are guidelines that don't guide. In fact, many children look toward a parent as a stop sign.

unknownwriter BRONZE, Mattawan, Michigan

My words i an artists paint and there brush is my pen

I JUST DOT GET IT WHY DO THEY DO IT ?!?!?!?!?

mexiican said...
on Nov. 10 2010 at 11:21 am
shut upp u annoying orange. i dont care if u like a bacon. this is serious and ur just pathedic

I like BACON!!!! HAHAHA

absolute9 said...
on Oct. 16 2010 at 12:29 am
my g/f talks about having a baby alot, it gets me all worked up because she is just 19, has no job, has not got her drivers license yet and it seems that having a baby is on the top of her to-do list... and me, im like i want the best for my kids, i can hardly feed myself, pay for my expenses... how the heck would a baby fit into my life? yeah... it wouldnt. explaining this to her never seems to stick because she will bring it up a few days later, then i explain all the reasons why it would be a complete train wreck if we had a baby right now, then she will aggree with me, drop the subject, then a few days later the cycle starts over.. it must be some kind of mental thing with young girls like there brians are all just like "baby baby baby!!" instead of "job, money, food, pay bills, go to school, find career!" wtf kind of life are you going to give your baby when you dont even have a car yet? here, let me brake it down for you, option 1. your going to be mooching off your parents and family... OR option 2.your going to live in project housing, go drive through a trailer park, take a good hard look because THAT is what you are going to have, 3 babys, no job, never going to have a peice of that american dream, that car you want, that house with the white picket fence, christmas with presents under the tree NOPE! no santa for your broke ass, no money thanksgiving on food stamps! SWEET! i dont hate my rents, my dad worked damn hard and he has alot now, but! my mom was one of those little girls who couldnt wait to have a baby...

IamtheshyStargirl PLATINUM, Lothlorien, Utah

Boredom instigates extreme creativity.
~Amoniel

"Bowing gratefully to all of my subjects, 'thank you. Thank you. The pleasure is mine." Nah, I'm just kidding. We're all kings together.'"
~Thesilentraven

Not stop, but teach and educate. I realized many years ago that a child changes your life forever, you never get the life before you had a child back. There's the eighteen years of it living with you, then the countless years of it visiting, asking for money, having kids of its own.

I've never thought it's bad for a teen to have kids early, it does make things a lot harder for them, and, somtimes, their family. Don't be judgemental.

. said...
I agree. I sympathize with teen mothers. It's not a GLAMOROUS thing. It all looks great and noble on TV, but it's painful, and odds are it will ruin your life.

on Sep. 5 2010 at 7:23 am
ThisBreRulezYouSonnn BRONZE, Wake Forest, North Carolina

Be still, sad heart! and cease repining;
Behind the clouds is the sun still shining;
Thy fate is the common fate of all--
Into each life some rain must fall,
some days must be dark and dreary.
--Henry Wadsworth Longfellow (1807-1882)

I hate the shows about them--glamorizes them even more! I love this article!! This was a topic that NEEDS to be touched upon!

inyouratmosphere BRONZE, Wakefield, Nebraska

He who can, does. He who cannot, teaches. - George Bernard Shaw

I tottaly agree with this article! It doesn't help that reality television shows like Teen Mom make teen pregnancy look like fun! These girls got pregnant in High School and got to starr in a reality tv show on MTV.

ForeverFaith PLATINUM, Dansville, New York

"so this is how liberty dies, with a thunderous applause" -unknown

not to mention it is DANGEROUS!! my friend got pregnant and she got very sick. she had severe preaclampsia and her pelvic bone wasnt fully grown so she had to have a c-section. when she was in the operating room she lost a lot of blood and  it took the doctors 4 hours to stabalize her. she now has a leaky heart valve and being a single mom hasnt been easy for her even with the support of her family

unicorn said...
this is halfway true, but who are you to judge someone? you dont know how ther got pregnant. for all you know, they could have been raped. Here, there is a VERY high teen pregnanacy rate. you will atleast see a few prennant people a day. even at the middle school, people get pregnent. however, one of my friends ive known for years got pregnant. but did i judge her? no. im not saying wat she did was smart, but im not gonna judge her. you need to be alittle less judgemental of people. just saying.

The_Squirrel GOLD, Port Alberni, Other

I will because I can, I can because I want to, I want to becasue you said I couldn't.

y parents actually made me learn about all that. I begged weeks in advance to be aloud to skip it but they said they wanted me to know about how it all works. I mean, really?! i think i could've gone my whole life not knowing all that and still be safe.

on Jul. 23 2010 at 11:07 am
livsinthecity SILVER, Toronto, Ontario

Love means never having to say you are sorry.
-Erich Segal (in Love Story)

i totally agree with this article and i do think that media should stop glamourising sex ...nice job !! You deserve a hats off salutation!!

nlagymnast BRONZE, Park Ridge, Illinois
Great article! the media really needs to stop glamorizing sex (and alcohol, for that matter).  This whole thing is really the fault of poor filtering on TV and the internet. Just look at the show Secret Life.  Also schools need a bigger and better abstinence push

nlagymnast BRONZE, Park Ridge, Illinois
You're so right! It's basically telling you, Here's how everything works, and you can do this, this, this, this, and this to avoid pregnancy and STDS.  Oh, but remember kids, abstinence is the only 100% way.   Ugh i'm in a health class right now and this bothers me.