Teen Baby Trend | Teen Ink

Teen Baby Trend MAG

By Anonymous

Does today’s generation glamorize teenage pregnancy? About four in ten girls become pregnant before age 20. Annually, about 900,000 teenage pregnancies occur nationally – approximately 52 pregnancies per hour. Almost 40 percent of young mothers haven’t reached the age of 18 when they become pregnant.

An epidemic. How could something like teenage pregnancy ever become so popular that it’s considered an epidemic? Of course we all know the obvious reason for pregnancy, but one perplexing question is why aren’t teens being more ­responsible? One would think that young adults would know enough to be careful. However, not using protection isn’t always the cause of teenage pregnancy.

Surprising as it may seem, some teenage girls may choose to get pregnant because they don’t see any life goals within their reach other than motherhood. Some may be seeking the unconditional love of a child. Or maybe a young woman believes that having her boy­friend’s baby will make him want to stay with her. However, nearly 80 percent of these fathers do not marry the mother of their children.

Sadly, an intended pregnancy doesn’t hold the advantages that young people believe it will. I believe another cause is something many desire and thrive on: ­attention. Attention can cause a big (but false) boost in self-esteem. It provides a temporary happiness that is addictive for some.

If you pick up any magazine like People, Star, or Us Weekly, you are pretty much guaranteed to find at least one article about a pregnant celebrity. Millions and millions of people fawn over these stars. When celeb mommies spill the details about their ­little soon-to-be bundles of joy, people seek to emulate their glamorous lives.

One of the most popular confessional pieces in the ­media recently was about a famous teenage mother: Jamie Lynn Spears. She starred in “Zoey 101” – a popular Nickelodeon show among both tweens and little tykes – for only three seasons before she leaked to OK! magazine about her “surprising and shocking” pregnancy with her older boyfriend, Casey Aldridge.

For months, Jamie was on baby watch. Paparazzi followed her around begging for comments and pictures of her and her developing baby-bump. Every tabloid had something to say about Spears’s unborn child, and most of the articles were positive accounts of the support she was ­receiving from her parents and how she and Aldridge were planning to marry.

Another recent, highly public teenage pregnancy was that of Bristol Palin, daughter of Republican VP candidate Sarah Palin. The young lady’s secret was apparently not so secret in the close-knit Alaskan town where the Palin family lives. When the rest of the country found out, even more news coverage focused on the family.

Very public incidents like these impact regular teens. Not all blame should be placed on the media, however. Schools deserve some of the fault. Some have been known to enact “Bring Your Kids to School Day.” If that’s not encouraging young people to get pregnant, I don’t know what is. Think of all the attention a teen mother would receive as classmates ask about the silly behaviors of her little mini-me.

When it comes down to it, most people sympathize with young moms and commend them for toughing it out and taking care of their babies. But teenage pregnancy has been made into something it is not. It has been glamorized like a new, expensive pair of shoes. Teens may think they are ready, that all a baby requires is someone to feed it and change it every once in a while. Teaching sex education at schools isn’t enough anymore. Today’s teens must be taught the responsibilities that go along with raising a kid. Someone needs to stop children from having children of their own.



Similar Articles

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 137 comments.


on Jan. 28 2010 at 4:15 pm
LonWolfzHowl BRONZE, Mt.morris, Michigan
3 articles 0 photos 10 comments

Favorite Quote:
Never say the world owes you anything. It was here First!!

Have u wittnesed upcolse...... didnt think so. I have so dont judge what u havent LIVED

on Jan. 28 2010 at 4:13 pm
LonWolfzHowl BRONZE, Mt.morris, Michigan
3 articles 0 photos 10 comments

Favorite Quote:
Never say the world owes you anything. It was here First!!

I agree with mj. My sister was pregnant at like 16 i was about 9 when she had her baby. I seen a horribly ugl side of this and back when it was ok They were MARRIED. She almost died because she used tohave an eating disorder. Im sorry but this is an epidmic. And why do teen girls think that having a sex life out of marrige is OKay? I have seen how stessfull it truelly is. SOMEONE DO SOMETHING FAST!!!!!!!

......... said...
on Jan. 28 2010 at 9:17 am
........., G, Minnesota
0 articles 0 photos 19 comments
that may be so but in the days when it was ok to be haveing children at 14 these women were already married. My great grand mother lived in a time that on her first date she kissed the boy and they were forced to get married. My mother was married when she was 16 and she had 3 kids by the time she was 20. You see the difference is that in those days the girls who were haveing kids at a young age were already married 95% of the time.

on Jan. 6 2010 at 3:26 pm
There may not be a specific bring your child to school day but there is a daycare in ny cousins school and many schools in my area there are day cares and rooms for women to feed and take care of their children during lunch

on Jan. 6 2010 at 3:04 pm
Wheat_wheat I understand where ur coming from but that's back when a 14 yr old could merry a 20 year old no questions asked.

LostDaliah said...
on Jan. 6 2010 at 3:01 pm
LostDaliah, Tomah, Wisconsin
0 articles 0 photos 1 comment
i dont understand how you could be embarrased by your own child. you had options other then keeping him. if your too selfish to claim him for what he is you should have thought about that before having sex at age 10. im 16 and have a 3 yearold. i never once denied my son. then again i knew i couldnt provide a life for him and put him up for adoption. i miss braxton everyday but i know he has a better life then what could be provided by me

Wheat_Wheat said...
on Dec. 15 2009 at 8:16 pm
First off I would like to say that where ever your getting your information it is most defintely incorrect. A baby does not grow up resenting his or her parents because they had them at a young age. It's the parent that resents the child. Second, teenagers that get  pregnant  wouldn't have to have horrible lifes and no futures if teens at schools didn't make them feel so horrible about them selves for getting  pregnant . If children in schools actually cared about theyr class mates and didn't care what choices they made in their life, these young mothers would NOT be forced to drop out and live miserable lives. Nobody should ever feel like having a child has ruined their life no matter how young they are. Having a child young doesn't make you depressed. What ever the thinker thinks the prover proves and guess what guys, you are the thinker and the prover. So if you feel that you're going to have a horrible life because you had a baby young guess what you are! These girls don't need you all to be against, they need your support and most of all they need your love.

Wheat_Wheat said...
on Dec. 15 2009 at 8:10 pm
First of all I would like to respect the point of view you are coming from. But what happened to those days when it was okay to be 16 and  pregnant . When this country was first founded it was 100% okay for a girl to be a teenager and having children. Now who are we to judge someone choice? If a young girl wants to have a child who are we to stand in her way? It's all personal decisions, and personaly i do not mind. I do think that this world is becoming over populated but not from teenagers being stupid or their lack of caring. But again, your piece is very well written.

on Dec. 15 2009 at 8:01 pm
invisiblesoul BRONZE, Covington, Georgia
4 articles 0 photos 15 comments

Favorite Quote:
Be strong now, because things will get better. It may rain now, but it can't rain forever.

So, listen to your heart AND your head, and you'll realize that the only way to be absolutely sure that you won't get pregnant before you're ready, is to abstain from sex until marriage, which is exactly how God planned it to be.

on Nov. 23 2009 at 9:27 pm
ZombieDanceWithMe SILVER, Rockford, Illinois
7 articles 1 photo 98 comments

Favorite Quote:
“To die is nothing; but it is terrible not to live”



-Victor Hugo

children know the dangers of teenage  pregnancy . plenty of people are a teenage baby or friends of one. my best friends brothers bestfriend(*and since were close its like hes my brothers best friend) was a teenage baby but it wouldnt have changed him any if she would have used a better  condom . most teenagers know well what the risks are, we dont need to be tought anything. everybody makes mistakes, so dont criticize the ones who have

on Nov. 23 2009 at 4:59 pm
AnneOnnimous BRONZE, Peterborough Ontario, Other
3 articles 0 photos 146 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Saying 'I notice you're a nerd' is like saying, 'Hey, I notice that you'd rather be intelligent than be stupid, that you'd rather be thoughtful than be vapid, that you believe that there are things that matter more than the arrest record of Lindsay Lohan. Why is that?' In fact, it seems to me that most contemporary insults are pretty lame. Even 'lame' is kind of lame. Saying 'You're lame' is like saying 'You walk with a limp.' Yeah, whatever, so does 50 Cent, and he's done all right for himself."
— John Green

a common thing for ppl to say here is that its hard. Well, yea, obviously, but the main thing is your future. It is twice as hard to get a proper job, a degree in university and a husband, with a baby. If you are already pregnant , then stay strong and i hope you do well and im sorry you made this bad choice. But don't have a baby, everyone else, til you're grown up. Sure, the baby is cute, but it will grow up to resent you because you had it early and because of it u couldnt get a good life

on Nov. 3 2009 at 9:15 am
BellaMae BRONZE, Otsego, Michigan
3 articles 0 photos 3 comments
Thats not true. Its a sterio type. Kids should see what there parents did wrong, and change it. Thats what Im doind.

on Nov. 3 2009 at 9:14 am
BellaMae BRONZE, Otsego, Michigan
3 articles 0 photos 3 comments
I agree with you partly. No teen can say fully that they are care 100% for this child. There is heath care, you need a job, where you going to life, then next 18 years of you life are devoted to your child. So no teen can say all that and most wouldnt. They want to go out and have sex to feel wanted. but they dont take to seconds to think, what if?

on Nov. 1 2009 at 1:06 pm
BriarRose PLATINUM, Seneca, Illinois
24 articles 7 photos 161 comments

Favorite Quote:
I don't need a rose. I want a daisy you picked for my hair. I don't want some fancy box of chocolate. I want a pink frosting cookie you made just for me. Lets skip the upscale restaraunt and have a picnic in the park.

I totaly agree; if you can't take care of yourself, then why would you subject a child to that sort of life?

mikky said...
on Sep. 18 2009 at 11:43 am
i also agree that it doesnt have to be the end of ur whole life but the end of ur childhood

Samii_Rawr16 said...
on Sep. 18 2009 at 7:59 am
This is very sad to hear about these teenagers getting pregnant at such a young and early age. Even if they feel they have no goal in life then why not try and find another goal to succed in!! This is ridiculous that i hear about all these **** pregnancys within a couple days. Its their responsibility to stay abstinant until an appropriate age. I feel that we shouldnt be allowed to have sex until atleast 17 or 18! When haveing sex the first time it may ruin your life.. Trust me I KNOW!!!
So just save yourself from the pain and depression and stop doing it before your life is runied!!

Chrissy_L GOLD said...
on Aug. 25 2009 at 7:15 pm
Chrissy_L GOLD, Ramsey, New Jersey
13 articles 0 photos 66 comments

Favorite Quote:
An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind.

I'll admit it is sad when teenage girls are forced to grow up so quickly and lose much of their future to immediate child rearing, but no one here seems to be considering the actual children. Early or not, it is still a life that is being made, a life with feelings and thoughts and emotions. My best friend in the world was born when her mother was 17. Would it be "better" if her mom had used protection? Whom would I have to play and laugh with? I'm not saying teens should get pregnant, but it shouldn't be such a crime if they do.

on Aug. 25 2009 at 1:04 am
Sara.M.G.D BRONZE, Dallas, Texas
4 articles 1 photo 20 comments

Favorite Quote:
thats interesting

May i remind you all that a condom is not 100 % correct and may add that if you all find your selfs judging a young girl for a mistake that she has made think about your self's first we all make mistakes some we cant fix's.

earthgil said...
on Jul. 21 2009 at 12:23 am
I feel that it is unfortunate that young girls have to go through this kind of thing. That they have to take responsibility so early. But i also thank them. They have showed me what can happen, and how to be careful.

on Jun. 24 2009 at 2:41 am
People in general carry the misconception that teenage pregnancy is and has been on the rise but they should check their facts.



Teen pregnancy has dropped by 42% since its height in 1991 when there were 61.8 births per 1,000. This is due largely to an increased use in contraceptives among sexually active teens and a decrease in sexual activity among teens as a whole.



Teen abortion was at its height in 1988.It has dropped by more than 50% since then



You can check my resources which I will include at the bottom of my post.



Your article is very well written and contains many valid opinions but be sure to research your subject throroughly and consider multiple viewpoints.



http://www.guttmacher.org/pubs/2006/09/12/USTPstats.pdf

http://www.kff.org/youthhivstds/upload/U-S-Teen-Sexual-Activity-Fact-Sheet.pdf