Should Teens Be Tried As Adults This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Should teenagers be tried as adults? Opinions differ. Some people argue that teenagers don't know what they are doing when they commit a crime and are still too young to comprehend what is right and wrong. I totally disagree. I am old enough to know that committing a crime is wrong and that if I commit one, I will be punished. Anyone who says teens can't tell right from wrong is either too old to remember what being a teenager is like or they are a teenager who has committed a crime and don't want to be tried as an adult. In either case, they are wrong. All teens know that killing is wrong, yet they do it anyway and get away with a light sentence because of their age. Even if a teen didn't know it was wrong, it doesn't mean it's right. They should still be punished. If they aren't, they willthink that crimes are okay and continue to commit them.

Teens today don't fear the law because they don't think they will get caught. And if they do, they know they have a good chance of getting off because they are tried as teens and not adults. We have to get tougher on crime. There should be a law that everyone over eleven years old will be tried as adults. That way more teens would be discouraged from committing crimes. They would know that murder would get them a very long sentence instead of staying in juvenile hall until they are eighteen. If we want to cut down on teen crime, we have to have tougher laws. ?

Archangel1410 said...
I agree and disagree. I agree that teens do think they can get away with most crimes just because they are underage. However being 18 and above in american shows you are an adult. Teens shouldnt be tried as adults because they arent adults. Sometimes people dont know what they are doing. Now what were you thinking when you said eleven and above. I can hardly see and eleven year old in Middle School killing someone. the age should be more like 16 or 15. Not 11 thats stupid. Sorry but thats tooooo... (more »)

Tohruhonda105 replied...
Apr. 20, 2011 at 9:04 am
U CONFUSE ME D:<

Blobthe15 said...

Maybe, but children should only be tried for adults until they have all the freedoms an adult has. We have to go to school against our will, we have to eat foods we don't like, we have to wear clothes that we don't want to, the list goes on and on. Once teens are granted those freedoms, I think they can't be held accountable for adult crimes and punishement.

Unless they're like 4, but I don't know how a 4 year old could kill someone.

Tohruhonda105 replied...
Apr. 20, 2011 at 9:07 am
No....there is no maby T_T

Fudged Up replied...
YES! Because its SOOOO bad to get an education, get a nutrious meal, and even HAVE CLOTHES!! You want freedom? Move out and get a job. Ou want freedom, youre gonna get responsibilities too.

scamp24 said...
I agree that teens should be tried as adults. But, only for major crimes, like murder. But, if a teen steals something(like a keychain) from a store,they should be tried as teens.But if a teen stole something bigger,the punuishment should be more severe.

WritingAngel20 said...
I believe that if you kill somebody, uh, you should go to jail, and keep in mind, while age may be a contributing factor, the severity of the crime is a factor as well, the youngest age to be tried as an adult where I'm at is twelve and trust me, you don't want a twelve year old walking the streets after they just committed murder, for real. Also a ten year old choked a little boy (Mary Bell, you may know her) and was put in a detention center but was retried because of her age and has a kid and... (more »)

Tohruhond105 replied...
Apr. 20, 2011 at 9:09 am
...writingangle...rly? WHO COMES UP WITH ORIGANAL NAMES LIKE THT!!!! :DD -hi5-

Victoria B. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Apr. 18, 2011 at 12:13 am
I believe the point of teens being tried easier is a matter of how a teen's mind works. While teens have an idea of right and wrong and are fully capable of distinguishing the two, they may not always realize the extent to their actions. They know a crime is bad, but do they understand why? Do they comprehend the full  responsibilities to their actions? Possibly, but why should every teen, regardless of intelegence or ability, be shackled to being tried as an adult when they did not fully u... (more »)

iLove Teens said...
Apr. 15, 2011 at 8:52 am
teens are not stupid you are if you say that

stupidteens! said...
ANY BODY WHO IS SMART ENOUGH TO THINK OF A WAY TO KILL SOMEONE, OR COME UP WITH A STRATEGIC PLAN SHOULD BE TRIED AS AN ADULT.  NO MATTER WHAT AGE THEY ARE, IF THEY ARE ABLE TO COMMIT A CRIME AND KNOW THAT THEY CAN GET AWAY WITH IT BECAUSE OF THE AGE DIFFERENCE THEY SHOULD BE ABLE TO TAKE FULL RESPONSIBILITY FOR THEIR ACTIONS! USING THE EXCUSE OF TEEN BRAINS NOT BEING FULLY DEVELOPED IS NONSENSE, IF THEIR BRAINS ARE FULLY DEVELOPED TO COMMIT A CRIME THEN THEY SHOULD BE ABLE TO T... (more »)

eagle replied...
well your screen name is offensive, i am 15, but i agree with you, but only major offenses.

RJ Unicruz replied...
Well, I gotta correct you where the part that says,"Developed Brains don't matter". Actually, it does matter, given by the fact that the way a teen brain thinks is more like the way a child thinks, as psychologists say. Teens are still a bit dependent on their parents, that's why people like to argue that teens should be tried as teens, though the consequenses may be severe, punishment is one of the ways you could straighten them up.

laurenz This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...

Of course a teenager is not a child; he or she is old enough to comprehend cause-and-effect relationships and know the consequences of breaking the law.

But consider the fact that teenagers do not have the developmental capabilities of critical thinking that adults possess.  The prefrontal cortex - involved in complex decision making and regulation of emotions - does not fully develop until a person is about 21.

Now consider the implications of having a brain with an underd... (more »)

eagle replied...
If kids in my class (10th grade) are able to smoke weed (illegaly) in the morning before school, somewhat mask the smell, hide some in a secret compartment in their shoe and get some eye drops via 5 finger discount and get connections to avoid being caught by dogs on the days they bring them in im thinking for some reason they have some idea what they are doing and that if they get caught they will get the full punishment available. Thats just me, i mean anyone not in highschool or jr high proba... (more »)

coxknowsbest said...
you all are forgetting to think of the mental state of that adolescent and you guys are just folcusing on one side of the coin.... you all are thinking....OH WELL THEY DON"T HAVE ANYTHING WRONG" imagine if there is any emotional scarring...

John_L. said...

I mostly agree. Anyone of high school age (i.e., 14 to 17) should know right from wrong. Why shouldn't they be tried as an adult.

We actually, there's an answer to that: Teenagers AREN'T viewed as adults in the eyes of the law. If they're tried as adults, they would have to have other rights and privileges as adults. (In my mind, anyway. Otherwise that borders age discrimination.)

So is there a middle ground? I think so. Let's say, perhaps, that teens... (more »)

codes said...
well if they get tried for murder as an adult they will stop, but if it's a robbery they'll keep doin it over and over. now if it's a robbery and they get tried by adults then something will click in that persons head then he'll think twice

wysopalman said...
Mar. 11, 2011 at 2:19 am
if teens had the same right sas adults i could see the argument but its hypocripsy to deny teens things they want to do because they don't know whats good for them then to turn around and hold them acountable as an adult saying they know fully well whats right and wrong.

eagle replied...
um im 15, if i would kill someone right now id almost expect the chair or jailtime depending on the brutality. I dont care about the voting drinking and driving, if those are the things you talk about.

jess said...
i agree with Allthegoodnamesaretaken.yeah,teens get affected by that stuff but they dont have to let it bother them.i dont.i dont listen to the high schoolers & jr highers.so im not bothered bythat stuff.i just do what i know is right.i dont listen to gossip or anything else that goes around school & i dont think anyone else should either