Should Teens Be Tried As Adults This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Should teenagers be tried as adults? Opinions differ. Some people argue that teenagers don't know what they are doing when they commit a crime and are still too young to comprehend what is right and wrong. I totally disagree. I am old enough to know that committing a crime is wrong and that if I commit one, I will be punished. Anyone who says teens can't tell right from wrong is either too old to remember what being a teenager is like or they are a teenager who has committed a crime and don't want to be tried as an adult. In either case, they are wrong. All teens know that killing is wrong, yet they do it anyway and get away with a light sentence because of their age. Even if a teen didn't know it was wrong, it doesn't mean it's right. They should still be punished. If they aren't, they willthink that crimes are okay and continue to commit them.

Teens today don't fear the law because they don't think they will get caught. And if they do, they know they have a good chance of getting off because they are tried as teens and not adults. We have to get tougher on crime. There should be a law that everyone over eleven years old will be tried as adults. That way more teens would be discouraged from committing crimes. They would know that murder would get them a very long sentence instead of staying in juvenile hall until they are eighteen. If we want to cut down on teen crime, we have to have tougher laws. ?

strawberry said...
May 5, 2010 at 6:23 am:
it such a nice article.short but full of useful content.....i use it for 2010 debates..

KentuckyJohnWall11This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
May 1, 2010 at 9:45 pm:
Good article and it is true if you take someones life youshould be sentanced to life.

thoughtfulsoul said...
May 1, 2010 at 7:42 pm:
I like that you choose this topic to write about. I am divided on the issue, besause every situation is different so its hard to figure out if teens should or should not be tried as adults. I think this is a good article and you have a really strong voice in it. You made your opinion on the issue well known. good job :)

CassieSherman14 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
May 1, 2010 at 3:39 pm:
I see what you are saying and I do agree that they should be harder on them but... even though a teen can have the capability to think like adults they aren't an adult yet and should still wait to go to jail at 18... it's confusing but a teen isn't a kid but isn't an adult either and might just be acting that way to try to be cool and won't when they're an adult...i don't know but they still shouldn't go to jail until 18.

kcon411 said...
May 1, 2010 at 8:27 am:

I must agree with you, you made some very good points, however i think 11 may be too young. I dont think that twelve year olds should be getting life sentences, but they need more sevre punishments.

silentdeath134 replied...
May 1, 2010 at 1:31 pm :
yes i do agree with you as well and i dont think that 12 year olds should be sentenced to life but yeah i do see the point of what your trying to say

tiger replied...
Sept. 30, 2010 at 11:17 pm :
so do i=) silent death cool

lunar_moon said...
May 1, 2010 at 3:15 am:
We have that law as to give those guilty teens, whether disturbed or otherwise, a chance at redoing their lives. They aren't going to give a death sentence to a 12 year old. But I do see the point that you are trying to make.

silvermoon11 replied...
Jul. 12, 2010 at 5:59 pm :
That's exactly how I feel. The point of punishment is not making wrongdoers suffer, but making sure they don't do it again. Teens do have a conscience, but they are not fully developed and have more capacity for change. That's why they get second chances.

lunar_moon replied...
Jul. 12, 2010 at 10:48 pm :
That is a very mature comment. Thanks!

LifeWriter13 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...

This is a very good point. But really? Being tried as an adult as eleven? I'm sorry but this is too young, some parents take their children and keep them so isolated their whole lives that when one day they are asked to do something they think is fine, is in fact only punushing an inocent child brought up the wrong way. Sure there are kids that are brought up in the worst conditions, and yes some do use this as an exuce to break the law.

To truth, I believe that once someone is 15 they... (more »)

RawrDino:) said...

To all the people who believe that teens who commit violent crimes SHOULDN'T be convicted as adults, consider this...

You have an older sister at the age of 20.  A 16 year old boy rapes her and then murders her.  How would you feel? Wouldn't you want him to be adequately punished for his crime?  If this scenario doesn't work for you, then replace the sister with someone you really care about.

All2gether said...
Apr. 16, 2010 at 7:07 am:

It all boils down to a chemical imbalance.  It is a fact that teenagers are going through that change, some are affected differently and have no idea that this hormone embalance is the root to them not being able to control their actions.  I don't think they should be tried as adults because of this, not ever person is the same.  Granted we know killing is wrong, but what happens when a teenager is going through that hormonal change and has all this pressure coming from differe... (more »)

RawrDino:) replied...
Apr. 24, 2010 at 7:36 pm :
Chemical imbalance? Hormones? Really? I'm your average, ordinary teen and I have never killed anyone. Everyone deals with hormones and brain development until they are in their 30's.  Are you implying that everyone under the age of 30 shouldn't be viewed as an adult?

tank_nash said...
Apr. 12, 2010 at 11:20 am:

DUDE ARE U CRAZY?????? 11 YEARS OLD???? COME ON NOW!! U REALLY SHOULD RETHINK ALL OF UR ESSAY!!! CUZ SCIENTIFICALLY NOT ALL TEENAGE BRAINS ARE DEVELOPED ALL THE WAY SO THINK ABOUT THAT ONE HOT STUFF

cookiemonsta85 replied...
Apr. 18, 2010 at 8:59 pm :
i think 11 is good...i mean come on even 8 year olds know that killing is wrong

thoughtfulsoul replied...
May 1, 2010 at 7:50 pm :
I just wanted to clear up that in this article it said anyone over 11 should be tried as an adult.

kaileeboo said...

i think that teens shouldnt b tried as adults cas they can b on there record forever and as teens we do stupid things and that should not hold us against a job and many other things

Robkingett This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Mar. 18, 2010 at 4:45 pm:
i agree with u completely. just a question, Your claims however are very weak. Did you ever take debate?

CrackerJack said...
Mar. 18, 2010 at 3:21 pm:
The problem with your claim is that you seem to view the problem in black and white.Teenagers know the difference between right and wrong; therefore, they should be tried as adults. However, it is not a black and white, true/false, yes/no situation. There are different degrees of mental stages of development. There have been several studies and theories by psychologists (Freud, Piaget) that show the moral growth of a person. While teenager might know that murder is wrong, he would not have the s... (more »)