The Social Class Beast

Author's note: Currently I'm still working on this story. I was inspired by Disney's Beauty and the Beast. I...  Show full author's note »
Author's note: Currently I'm still working on this story. I was inspired by Disney's Beauty and the Beast. I thought, what would a beast be in a high school setting. Heres the results.  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 11 Next »

A Mistake

After explaining things to KC last period, I just wanted to go home. This kid required too much of my time, I could’ve been finished earlier with my drawing if the damn boy tried to figure things out for himself. My feet stopped moving and angrily I looked up to see what the problem was. Apparently, traffic by the stairs was terrible. Pulling my books to my chest, I dove in. It was a swarm of pushing, pulling, and sometimes awkward, accidental butt touching.
“Hey!” a girl hissed at
I tried to censor this to teenink's liking, lets see if it works *fingers crossed* This is Misti's POV. Enjoy lunch.
me, someone else spat a few choice words in my direction.
“If you don’t want to be pushed, then don’t move so damn slow!” I shouted, pushing my way through the throng of people. Sometimes I think how nice it would be if they just parted like the Red Sea. That would be very convenient. Finally, I wove my way all the way through the group and turned into my US History class. My books fell into a pile on my desk as I slid into my seat next to Ashanti. She bit her lip and turned to me.
“So Brett texted me during first period… He said something about a fight… Care to explain yourself?” Ash set her phone on my desk and crossed her arms. Slightly curious, I glanced at the picture message on the screen. It was a picture of when both KC and I were standing up and arguing. “I thought we had a deal, I’m the trouble maker and you’re the book nerd.” She teased, “So tell me the story.” I nodded and put her phone back on her desk.
“Well this idiotic new guy just came in and pushed my books off of the table… So I yelled at him for it.”
“You know you could get suspended for even a verbal fight? Mist, I love you and I need you for motivation to go to my classes. If you weren’t here I’d have to go hang at your house during your suspension.”
“Yeah, okay mom it was just one little dispute and the teacher didn’t care.” I sighed and turned down the volume on my i-pod. The bell rang a second time within five minutes, signifying that class had begun. Somehow the class got the teacher off topic again and Ashanti resumed talking to me.
“So I’m just analyzing this picture…This new guy is pretty hot, your thoughts?” I rolled my eyes; she had a strong thing for emo and goth guys.
“If he wears more makeup than me, he’s probably gay. Besides, any guy who can’t respect my books definitely is not my type.” I flipped through a book I was reading. “Good thing I dog-eared the page I left off at.”
“This kid’s a rebel dou*** then?”
“Yeah, he probably just uses girls for sex. KC’s not worth your time.”
“Who?”
“That’s Rebel Dou***’s name.”
“Oh.” Ashanti went back to texting Brett and I resumed reading. That’s when I noticed it. My name was being whispered and I could feel stares burning into my skin. I bit my lip and tried not to hyperventilate like I usually do when people notice me. Quickly I put my book on the pile and pulled it to my chest, shooting out of the room as soon as the bell rang. It was time for lunch where my friends could distract me from what people were saying about me and the new guy.
Ashanti struggled to keep up. Eventually we walked into the cafeteria. It was about twice the size of my biology room, but with a lunch line, kitchen, and long rectangular tables. My friends and I sat in the middle most section of the room and nobody else sat at our table. KC, being new, didn’t know that the seat he was sitting in was mine. Not wanting to make another scene, I simply put my books down next to him and headed to the lunch line.
“Megan’s not going to like this guy at our table…What are we going to do? AJ and Chester already take up a bunch of space and I’m not sitting on the end of the table.” Ash was on a rant so I cut her off.
“Yeah but all of our skinny people share one side of the table. Besides the Rebel Dou*** and I aren’t friends, he probably already left.” Shrugging off the issue, I grabbed a lunch tray and scanned my school ID card, then waited for Ashanti to do the same. We went to our seats and I was pleased to see that KC had moved to the other end of the table. Soon our friends started showing up. As a group we were a bit more than twelve people. There were so many of us, sometimes it was hard to remember names.
“Why are people staring?” Megan hissed angrily as she sat next to Ash.
“Because some dude pissed Misti off.” Ashanti told her, “And he messed with her books.”
Megan rolled her green eyes as she started peeling the crust from her sandwich. Dylan, Pat, Chester and AJ sat across from us laughing about some inside joke they had. However, they quickly realized that something was up because us girls weren’t talking.
“Okay whats going on? What am I missing here?” Chester asked. He was a sophomore who had long wavy black hair that always looked greasy no matter how many times he’s washed it. Freckles dotted his cheeks and the bridge of his nose. Chester only had a slight weight issue, which we playfully teased him about.
“You guys really don’t notice everyone staring?” I asked, the boys were more clueless than usual today. Looking around I noticed people looking away from my gaze. Sure there was the normal babble of the lunchroom, but the stares just didn’t stop. My eyes rested on where KC had been sitting. I shrugged, maybe he left.
“Quite frankly, not everyone is staring at us.” Dylan stated matter-of-factly. His body was super thin and tall; which is why the gang often referred to him looking like a praying mantis. Dylan’s skin was a sickly pale color and his brown hair was cut short.
“Well a lot of people are.” Megan snapped, her eyes staying on her sandwich.
“There Chester, that text should explain everything.” Ash looked up at Chester. “Did you feel vibrations yet? I sent it a few minutes ago.” At the mention of the word ‘vibrations,’ AJ started to crack up. He was more like a hyena, just give him one thing to laugh about and he won’t stop laughing for a good few hours. AJ was inbetween Chester and Dylan with both his height and weight; and anytime he started laughing, his face will turn a turnip red. Whenever that boy laughed it was both entertaining and concerning at the same time.
“Oh dear God, why is AJ dying now?” Kat came up and sat on my other side, her friend Tanya sat next to her. Kat was one of the most kick ass friends I knew, and if I told her about what happened, she would probably hunt KC down. Sure her hair was dyed 5 different shades of purple, and she was a little skinny thing… But she can get pretty violent with her short temper.
“Ashanti mentioned something about vibrating.” I laughed, “can you tell if he’s breathing over there?” AJ was attempting to eat a sandwich that was half wrapped with plastic wrap while he was laughing uncontrollably. “Seriously, somebody take the sandwich from him, he could suffocate on the plastic.” Dylan took his sandwich from him and patted his back.
“Okay now just breathe, in… And out… C’mon man, calm yourself.”
“Why are we talking about vibrations?” Kat half spoke, half giggled at AJ’s laughter.
“I sent Chester a text about a fight Misti got into today…” Ash paused, “There just sent it to you too.”
“Please tell me you didn’t send them the picture too!” I groaned as I watched Chester reading the text he got.
“A fight?” Kat’s brown eyes narrowed at me. “What happened?”
“I’m sure Ash gave you a very overly detailed text.” I started to eat my lunch to avoid talking anymore.
“Hey,” Chester pointed to his phone, “Is this the same guy sitting behind you?” He kept his voice quiet, but at a volume where we could hear him. Ashanti turned around and pretended to take a look at the clock.
“Yep that’s him.” She agreed, her voice at the same volume.
“Oh my… I'm going to whoop his..." Kat was starting to get up but Tanya and I tugged her back down.
"Don't worry about it." I quickly stole a glance at KC. He was just sitting there listening to his i-pod and drawing in his sketchbook. I felt bad, the poor guy didn't have a lunch. When I got up to throw out my trash, I handed him an orange I didn't eat before making my way back to my seat. "Don't say anything!" I growled at Kat's expression.
“I don’t understand you. You fight with him and then you feed him…You know what they say, ‘If you feed them, they’ll keep coming back’.” Kat sighed and handed me her chocolate milk.
“Fine, then you go through the whole school day without eating.” I grumbled as I opened the small milk carton. Ashanti wasn’t looking so I came up with the brilliant idea to hold the milk by her shoulder to scare her. The boys watched with confused expressions.
“Misti, you shouldn’t…” Tanya’s warning came too late. From the corner of her eye, Ashanti had seen the milk and swung her arm to bat it away. The full carton of milk flew up into the air almost gracefully before spilling its contents on KC. The boys chorused with uncontrollable laughter as Ashanti and I gaped at the mess we made. Tanya was covering her mouth with shock and Kat was muttering something about how he deserved it.
“Guys…Ohmigod, we’ll be in so much trouble…” Megan’s face reflected fear, but she was laughing too.
“KC…I’m sorry it was an accident…I…” I was trying my best to give him my sincere apology, but when he turned around I couldn’t help but laugh. The chocolate milk had loosened his hair from the hedgehog effect and turned it more into a shaggy dog look. His eyeliner was running and his clothes were soaked. He looked like a miserable puppy who was sitting outside in the rain. People who had been staring at us didn’t miss this at all. They nudged their friends and pointed.
“Misti what the hell was that for?! Oh my God I feel so terrible now!” Ashanti cried out. Her voice was an apologetic laughter. It was my fault, so it was my responsibility to help him…I guess. Getting up from my spot, I took him by the arm and led him to the nurse’s office.
KC was tense and stiff but followed my lead. The nurse gave him a change of clothes from the lost and found and asked if he wanted to leave and go home early. The only reason why I stayed was because I felt guilty, this was my fault after all. Surprisingly the new guy shook his head and walked towards me. I stood up and we walked back to the cafeteria together.
“I’m really sorry…This must be a terrible first day for you…I’m sorry.”
The Rebel Dou*** ignored my apologies and grabbed his books from his seat before leaving the cafeteria. I turned back to my friends and sat, AJ was still laughing away. Kat had a smirk on her face and just shook her head.
“I feel so terrible!” I covered my face with my hands. “To yell at him is one thing, but to spill milk on the poor kid is just awful.”
“Hey…” Chester nudged my elbow and I looked up at him.
“What?”
“…There is no need to cry over spilled milk.”
“You’re an ass.”
Just then the bell rang and I had to start walking to study hall.

I only had three other classes with KC, which made me feel even guiltier because I had to continuously see him in the crappy lost and found clothes. But even with the hell I’ve gone through today I was still reluctant to go home. Nothing could compare to what I had to deal with there.

Vam_apperatus_vampire said...
I still love reading this i can't wait for the new chapter XD

VanendraThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Sept. 28, 2012 at 7:34 am :
posted new chapters ^-^

VanendraThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jul. 28, 2011 at 11:59 am:
wow,just realized this was in the realistic fiction section...oops. this story really isn't going to be too realistic. i plan to have KC cursed and Misti the only one to break it. Hope you guys don't mind.

writerthinkerdreamer said...
Jul. 25, 2011 at 8:55 pm:
Are K.C. and Bentley the same person?

Jul. 26, 2011 at 2:31 am :
yes and no...both KC and Bently are going to be the major conflict in the story.

drmstarlet21 said...
Jul. 25, 2011 at 3:41 pm:

Hey Vanendra!! Just a couple comments...

First of all, your first sentence isn't very intriguing. It ought to hook your readers, drawing them in, and yours doesn't really do that for me. I understand, as I am terrible at that, but it was just one of many errant thoughts.

Also, you have a few grammatical/spelling errors. The ones I found are mainly something like you using "past" when it ought to be "passed" etc.

I also think it's a little out of the blue that Bentley just... (more »)

Jul. 26, 2011 at 2:35 am :
lol, i know i suck at spelling,sorry...yeah i need better transitions and a better intro sentence...bentley only appears everywhere because,well,you'll find out soon...this is just a rough draft, i hope that by next summer it will be finnished and edited...and i'll read and comment on your stories as soon as i can :D

ani70 said...
Jul. 24, 2011 at 8:47 am:
Hey! I am epically loving your story.
Please check out my novel You and I it would mean a lot to me! And in the top rated...you have got it sizzling XD

ani70 replied...
Jul. 24, 2011 at 8:48 am :
just awesome story!

Jul. 26, 2011 at 2:36 am :
thank you!!! i'll check out your story in a bit :)

Someone said...
Jul. 22, 2011 at 1:44 am:
I have a few comments for this. Yes, the idea is great, but I think you could expand the chapters, maybe add more details. This story goes a bit too fast and it seems more like a girl's fantasy (especially the whole singing bit) than an actual story. I just feel like it needs to seem more realistic. Everything that happens is too coincidental that I find it hard to believe. The dialogue could use a bit of work. The story seems a bit forced, like you're making things happen as opposed to letting ... (more »)

Jul. 23, 2011 at 12:46 pm :
ou have'nt offended me at all. I agree I think its going too fast and some bits seem a bit unrealistic. This is just a rough draft though so dont worry about it too much. I plan on editing it when I have time. Thanks for commenting. ^-^

Someone replied...
Jul. 29, 2011 at 9:46 am :
Haha, no problem. Just doing what I can to make the story better. The idea you have going on is really, really good, and I would love to read more!!! :)

Sept. 26, 2011 at 6:42 am :
thanks  you :)

Jul. 20, 2011 at 7:20 pm:
new chapter posted

Rosaa said...
Jul. 6, 2011 at 10:23 pm:
This is really good! I love the poems at the beginning and at the end - they were a really nice touch:) you're a very talented writer!

Oct. 31, 2011 at 6:42 am :
thanks! those were the only two good poems I ever wrote xD

writerthinkerdreamer said...
Jun. 16, 2011 at 7:45 pm:
Hello, Vanendra. I was wondering if you'd let me use this part of your story in a book I'm writing. I will definitely give you full credit for it, I just want to write about what comes next.... I can't get it out of my head, I've already written three more chapters, and if you'll allow me, I'll have it published when I'm done, but if you won't, I'll respect your wishes. Thank you for your time, Jari

Sept. 26, 2011 at 6:44 am :
which story were you going to use them for?

introducingshelby said...
Jun. 16, 2011 at 5:42 pm:

I really, really liked this o:

Do you think you could check out my work? (I've got a novel by the name of "kiwi link" and it is NOT getting good views. Maybe you could give me some pointers?)