Romeo and Juliet--A Parody | Teen Ink

Romeo and Juliet--A Parody

By CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other
CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." --Douglas Adams

"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." --Marcus Aurelius

Summary:

Juliet Capulet is just your average teenage girl until a chance meeting at a community dance changes her life forever. She meets Romeo Montague, who immediately starts stalking her, claiming they are meant to be together. For Juliet, this is just too much; she calls the police. How did such a story inspire the great William Shakespeare? It's not how you think!

CarrieAnn13

Romeo and Juliet--A Parody

CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

Thanks, msp49!  I'm glad you enjoyed my parody.

CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

Thanks, sorlageal!  I honestly can't say I was inspired by Monty Python, because I've never watched any of those skits/movies.  My actual inspiration for the tongue-in-cheek humour was Douglas Adams' The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. 

Cat was Tybalt because when I read the play, in the margin there was a note about how 'Tybalt' was a another name for 'cat' when Shakespeare wrote the play.

msp49 BRONZE said...
msp49 BRONZE, Middletown, Connecticut
This was great!  I'm not a fan of parodies, but I thought this was hilarious!  Good job and keep writing!

Sorla_the_Space_Cowboy GOLD, Boston, Massachusetts

“Sometimes if you want to see a change for the better, you have to take things into your own hands.” - Clint Eastwood
"I never lie. I believe everything I say, so it's not a lie." - Mark Wahlberg
"I just want to be pure"- Jim Carroll

Awesome, loved how Cat was Tybalt, very witty. The whole thing was tongue in cheek, reminded me of Monty Python.  

CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

Thanks, WiseGirl!  I'm glad you took the time to read my novel.

WiseGirl said...
on Jun. 4 2011 at 12:14 am
WiseGirl, Adams, Tennessee

"I think, therefore I am."
-Rene Decartes

It's great! Love it!

CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

Actually, I didn't leave them out.  Shakespeare's inspiration for Mercutio and Benvolio was the two Cat fought against, Miranda and Betty. 

And in my parody, no one opposes Romeo and Juliet being together, except for Juliet.  This is because everyone opposes their union in the play.  The Big Idea here was to see what would have happened if Romeo and Juliet had a chance to love openly.  I think their love progressed so quickly in the play because it was forbidden.

on Jun. 3 2011 at 8:50 am
SilentlyRising GOLD, Decatur, Georgia

"My pen is the barrel of the gun. Remind me which side you should be on."

Now that I've thought about it, I realized that you left out Morcutio!!  He totally MADE the Shakespeare play.  Another thing is that if Cat was to by Tybalt in the play, shouldn't she have been all against the union of the two instead of being somewhat encouraging?  Those are the only two things I have a small problem with.  Other that that, it's good.

CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

Thanks so much, DinoNugget!  I got the idea of Romeo as a stalker from the reaction of my class when we read it.  Everyone was saying Romeo was a stalker, so I made him one!

SilentlyRising GOLD, Decatur, Georgia

Haha!  This was very funny!  I enjoyed the story very much.  Romeo as a creepy (pervert) stalker was very fitting.  Juliet's reaction to all of his antics was extremely realistic.  All in all, I loved this story.  Write on!

JoPepper PLATINUM, Annandale, Virginia

"Freedom is the ability to not care what the other person thinks."

"Not all those who wander are lost" --JRR Tolkien

"When you are listening to music it is better to cover your eyes than your ears." --Jose' Bergamin

Sorry guess I read over that.  Yeah I wish they would keep the format we put our writing in.  I love your writing!!!!!! :D

JoPepper PLATINUM, Annandale, Virginia

Oh whoops didn't notice that sorry.  Yeah I wish they would keep the italics in whenever we submit something!!!! I love your story!!! :D

CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

Thanks for the comment, JoPepper!  I apologize for not making it clear some sections were from Shakespeare's perspective, but this was my first submission.  In the original format, those passages were in italics, but I guess that format got lost in the copying and pasting process. 

I don't know how I was unclear about the timeline.  At the end of my novel, I very clearly have it that Shakespeare takes Romeo back to Medieval London with him.

JoPepper PLATINUM, Annandale, Virginia

I thought this was hilarious. 5 stars.  But there are a few things that should be fixed.  It took a while to figure out that the different perspective was Shakespeare.  I liked how you kept it in the dark that it was him.  But I think you should've put something like a line or dots to let us know it was someone  else.   And I was a little confused about the timeline.  At first you made it clear that it was recent times,  and then at the Epilogue somehow it was mid-evil times for shakespeare.  But other than those two things I loved your Parody.  Keep on writing!!!!!!! :D :))

areebaization BRONZE, Dammam, Other

“Do not wait to strike till the iron is hot; but make it hot by striking.” – William B. Sprague

I AGREE! I wish you could explain this to my english teacher :( anYway the  those days in agony passed :)

CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

5th grade?  I didn't read Romeo and Juliet until 8th grade.  Now that would be horrible, reading it so early.

areebaization BRONZE, Dammam, Other

The orignal was written in a very goofy language :P I read it all because I was forced to, ln my 5th grade :(

CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

Aw, thanks Garnet77.  I have to admit I love the original too.  I'm amazed so many people like my parody.

CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

Thanks, live.laugh.spaz!  What do you mean when you say it 'adds such a realistic perspective to the play'?

CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

Thanks, areebaization!  I can't believe you think it's better than the original (even though the original was just begging to be parodied).