Name Essay | Teen Ink

Name Essay

February 27, 2019
By ssgymnast22 BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
ssgymnast22 BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

My name means someone who saws timber for a living. Which makes sense with how my name sounds, but there is so much more to my name. My name is a soft blue grey color. A name that is the beauty in the uniqueness and strength of a mountain range. The mountains with the backdrop of the sky stand stoically. To conquer a mountain is to have great strength. With my name you could run the world. It’s walking into a crowded room knowing you own it, and have taken the attention of everyone in it.

Although I was not named after any past relatives my name does have a story. In high school my mother had a hairdresser and she named her daughter Sawyer. My mother thought it was so unique and she just had to name her daughter that as well. It is not a grand story, but it puts a smile on my face everytime I hear it. Even at the age of sixteen my mother had hoped and dreamed about having a daughter. She got three.

Rarely am I called Sawyer. The number of nicknames I have you would need to count on your fingers and toes. Twice. But my favorite nickname has to be bean. My favorite people call me bean.

Bean is like a chihuahua. So tiny, but has the loudest and most persistent bark. Some people may laugh at this little dog thinking it is so mighty with its its small and cute stature. But do not let the exterior of this dog fool you. In such a small body there is so much power and passion. I myself am only five feet tall. But don’t you dare ever underestimate the things that I will achieve.

A bean starts out small, but has so much potential to grow into something beautiful. Also a bean is built to survive with all odds against them. Determined to grow. It reminds me of a little kid at a restaurant that squirms and wiggles around in its chair until they can be let free. Headstrong on being independent and away from their parents. This child comparable to a bean in sense that they both want to sprout into their own. Similarly the one thing that I strive on is my independence and my persistence to be the absolute best at everything this I do. Against my own will this is not always possible. As a person I want to grow and be able to accept by downfalls.

Would I ever change my name? Never. This name was meant to be mine. Nothing else. With my name I want to continue to grow into a strong person. I want to move mountains. No other name could help me to become this person I want to be better than Sawyer. Sawyer is my name and is the only name that will do.