A Lie for the Holidays | Teen Ink

A Lie for the Holidays

November 8, 2018
By isabellesmart BRONZE, Tualitin, Oregon
isabellesmart BRONZE, Tualitin, Oregon
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

The truth may hurt for a little while, but a lie hurts forever. This story I'm about to tell you taught me to never lie, and if I do I need to always tell the truth. It was a cold and bitter Saturday morning. I had woken up about an hour ago, so my eyes were still droopy and my back was as stiff as a board. I was laying down on the cozy, warm couch. The smell of bacon and the piney smell of the christmas tree floated through the room, as I watched Buddy The Elf on T.V. My mom was sitting at the dining room table working on her computer while my dad was watching football in the other room. My brother was about six years old at the time so he was upstairs playing with his garbage trucks. “Beep, beep, beep,” I would hear my brother say over and over. My sister was upstairs in her room facetiming a friend and working on a school project. I was about half way through the movie...

“Izzy go clean your room, right now!” my mom yelled.

“Ok.” I said.

Like any other irresponsible 9 year old i continued to watch the movie. The snow continued to fall and covered the ground like a blanket. By this time I was wide awake and ready to go clean my room but I didn't. I sat and watched more T.V. About an hour later my sister, my brother and I went out to play in the snow. We put on our big, puffy winter coats, warm mittens, and our hats that covered our ears perfectly. As we went out to play in the snow I once again remembered I had forgotten to clean my room, but I didn't care. We continued to walk through the soft, flakey snow. I picked up a clump of snow, packed it tightly into a ball, and threw it right onto my brothers rosy cheek. As excitement grew on my brothers face he yelled, “Snowball fight!” We continued to throw snowballs, make snowmen, and snow angels. Our fingers grew numb and the cold chill was starting to bite at our noses, so we decided it was time to go back inside. We came back inside to the smell of warm chicken noodle soup filling our noses. We sat down at the table trying to keep warm, while we ate our soup. By the end of dinner it was time to check our rooms we “cleaned”. My mom came to check my room, she opened the door…

“Did you clean your room today?” she said.

“No.” I said nervously.

“Your going to have to clean your room while we watch a movie.” she said sternly.   

“Ok.” I said.

So I finally cleaned my room and only missed about twenty minutes of the movie, but I was still disappointed. Just remember being disobedient and lying will come back to hurt you, so make the right choices for yourself and others.


The author's comments:

I love to read!!!!!!!!!!!!!