The Power of Faith | Teen Ink

The Power of Faith

February 21, 2008
By Anonymous

Having faith in the impossible, or believing in miracles, can allow one to overcome giant obstacles and endure great hardships. The signs of miracles are everywhere, some harder to see than others, but they are there, nevertheless. God works through these miracles in mysterious ways, but never fails to be there when needed the most, so long as you believe. For when you believe that through God anything is possible, absolutely nothing can bring you down.
One winter night, while I was still a young child, my family and I were all preparing for bed. This night, at the time, seemed no different than any other night in particular. However, my dad had mentioned that he had some work to do so he would be staying up late. After a while, he decided to stop working and read a few chapters from our family Bible. A couple of hours later, exhausted from much reading, my dad left the Bible open on his computer desk and finally went to bed. At around two in the morning, the smoke detectors wailed and flashed their bright lights. However, their warnings went unheeded; the smoke from the fire had already lulled every member of our family into a deep, deep sleep. Fortunately, one member, our family cat Boots, had not yet succumbed to the smoke’s hypnotic powers and quickly rushed to wake my parents. This heroic, faithful feline scratched and clawed, doing everything in his power to try and wake my mom. Finally, he succeeded. Realizing what was happening, my mom violently woke my dad, and the rush to escape began. There was no time to retrieve material items, for by now we would be lucky just to get out alive. Miraculously, everybody made it outside within a few minutes, except for my mom. She had decided to remove the car from the garage in order to prevent an explosion that would surely destroy the house. As she made it into the car, the flames engulfed the garage, totally surrounding her. She would only have one shot at survival. If the car didn’t start, she would be dead. She then prayed for angels and for God to be at her side as she started the car. Suddenly, a beautiful figure appeared from among the flames. This figure had on a flowery white robe and perfectly formed white wings extending from her torso. As my mom saw this, she turned the key, starting the car, and barreled through the garage door towards safety. Once we were all safely out of the house, all we could do was watch the flames, as if possessing an endless hunger, devour our house completely.
After the fire consumed our house, the firemen went inside to assess the damage. A few minutes later, one fireman walked towards where my mom and I were resting, his face full of bewilderment. He quickly informed us that we should come take a look inside and that he had never encountered anything like this throughout his entire career. Confused, we followed him inside the house to see what he had to show us. First, he showed us what was left of the charred hallway between mine and my sister’s room. There, perfectly unharmed, rested our painting of an angel carefully watching over two children crossing a wave-battered bridge on a stormy night. We were amazed, but the firemen said that was just the beginning. He then directed us to the living room, where the fireplace mantle had been entirely burned and destroyed, but only up to a certain point. Sitting on the few remaining inches of the mantle were two little wooden angels in perfect condition, not even singed from the burning flames that had ravaged through just inches away. Next, we traveled to my mom’s room. There, lying amongst the ruins was my mom’s silver angel necklace, perfectly unharmed as if the flames, having a mind of their own, simply passed over where it rested. Finally, the fireman showed us the most shocking and awe striking miracle of them all. He took us to the computer desk where my dad had been sitting just a few hours before. There, the computer had been completely melted and the desk had been severely charred. However, resting on the desk and virtually unharmed, lay the Bible from which my dad had been reading. My dad’s hands began to shake and tears began to stream down his face as he picked up the Bible and read to us the last passage he had been reading before coming to bed that night:
I Corinthians 3:13-15:
Every man’s work shall be made manifest: for the day shall declare it, because it shall be revealed by fire; and the fire shall try every man’s work of what sort it is. If any man’s work abide which he hath built thereupon, he shall receive a reward. If any man’s work shall be burned, he shall suffer loss: but he himself shall be saved; yet so as by fire.
It was at this point we knew that the house fire and all the miraculous events that followed were signs from God. He was testing us and, through faith and trusting in Him, we survived and were able to continue to live happy, healthy lives.

Faith is a very powerful concept and, when put into practice, can get you through the hardest of times. God tests everyone, although He in no way has any intent whatsoever to harm you. His one and only desire for you, when all hope seems lost, is to have faith and turn to Him in hopes of finding relief from all the sorrow and desperation. Therefore, if you believe in Him, He will always be there for you, serving as the wind beneath your wings and the bright light, guiding your way through the deepest, darkest tunnel.