The New Girl This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

“Don’t worry. Lots of kids have moved here and made new friends in the blink of an eye,” my new teacher tells me. “Oh, and don’t be concerned about your braces. Most everyone has them here.”

Great. Even my new teacher thinks I’m a nerd, and he hasn’t even known me for five minutes. If my teacher thinks that, I can’t imagine what the rest of the class is going to think.

I wonder what kind of speech he gave them about me, “The New Girl.” He probably made it sound like I’m some kind of freak with weird allergies whose dad just died and everyone should be nice to me.

I wish I was back with my friends at my other school, where everyone knew me and I was the one hearing the new-kid speeches.

The bell rings, and the class piles in. Maybe if I don’t move, they won’t see me. Oh, well, it was a nice try. Everyone stares like I’m some kind of alien.

This weird girl walks in and says, “Hi, my name is Alicia.”

“Um, I’m Annie,” I say.

She makes a really weird face and says, “Hi, Annie. You can sit with us at lunch today if you want.”

What a dork …

Maybe this new school won’t be so bad after all.

big name dano boby said...
I think that this story is touching.  It reminds me of when it was my first day in kindergarten.

Charming said...
I totally understand what your saying I just moved fromTexas and I totaslly feel left out.

yuka11 replied...
Sept. 17, 2011 at 2:02 pm :
same! it's liek there's so many people who have moved and we all can relate to each other. i moved to texas a couple months ago... been kinda hard. i like how this story shows that. and i like how at the end her change of perspective is ironic. it made me laugh. can totally relate.

jennahater442 said...
You had a lot of voice in your article. Especially at the beginning when you were describing the conversation with your techer. I liked it a lot!

kods+ash(: said...
i thought that this was an inspiring story and im so glad that the girls were nice to you!(:

bloggerII said...
Oct. 13, 2010 at 11:17 am:
i think it is veryy nice of you to help out the new girl

dana02 said...
Oct. 13, 2010 at 10:23 am:
I don't think it's nice to judge people by how they look because no one ever looks alike

THE KEEPER said...
Oct. 13, 2010 at 10:20 am:
i like the way you express yourself. i wonder how the new kids at my school feels..... good story

google said...
Oct. 13, 2010 at 9:30 am:
I liked how you told your enviorment and exactly how you were feeling at the time!

columbine said...
Oct. 13, 2010 at 9:30 am:
i think its ufair to judge people by the way they look. your teacher didnt even give you a chance

rebelstrong34 said...
Oct. 13, 2010 at 9:24 am:
I kind of like it when you are new to a place or environment because you can kind of recreate yourself. You have a clean sheet, well maybe.

bubbles said...
Good luck, I've been "new girl" before (many times) and you really just have to be a little outgoing, (which can be hard) and you should make lots of friends, but don't forget your old ones. 

BaileyBaby13 said...
i loved this. i'll be the new girl in a few months, i'm hoping it will be this easy to find somewhere to eat at lunch! haha i really like the ending too. keep it up!,(:

firstsnowfalls This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
i like it. i've been the 'new girl' too, and its not fun.  this is in nonfiction... so if it really is real then i'm really, really, really, sorry about your dad.  hang in there.

megan15 said...

i love this i was the new girl at school about 6 months ago sooo i know how she feels

6337g said...
You are an amazing writer. Short sweet and to the point. I was a new girl more than once and know the feeline. COntinue writing you are very good at it.

4everluvjc said...
Sept. 14, 2010 at 8:36 am:

This is really nice. I like how it ended with "What a dork" then, "Maybe this new school won't be so bad."

It leaves the reader wondering what narrator is really thinking...

crubs3 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I just started a new school and everyones really nice!!! everything will get better!!!

ultrabookworm replied...
Sept. 13, 2010 at 6:23 pm :
Ah, brief satire of human nature. If there's someone lower on the ladder than you, then everything's okay. Loved it. Made me want to laugh and made me just a tiny bit thoughtful at the same time. 5 stars.

Authorgal98 replied...
Sept. 14, 2010 at 4:29 pm :
I second that. This is how the human mind works, like it or not.