Stand Up | Teen Ink

Stand Up

By Bluekit GOLD, Rockton, Illinois
Bluekit GOLD, Rockton, Illinois

"Unicorns and glitter!" -Flo

Bullying. A word almost every kid dreads. They dread being the outcast. The reject. The person everyone bullies. The loner. Not being good enough or not meeting someone’s standards. Some dread it so much, they take their own lives. A tragic way to die.
If only the teachers had seen it sooner. If only the parents knew. If only the victim spoke up.
Statistics show in 2011 that 60% of middle school students say they have been bullied. Only 16% of staff believed that students had been bullied. They also say that over 160,000 stayed home from school to avoid bullying. 20% of high school students said they had thoughts of committing suicide in the past twelve months in 2011.
In my opinion, these numbers are too high. What can we do to stop bullying? There are numerous ways to prevent bullying.
Statistics show that over 50% of bullying decreased if the school had an anti-bully program running. If every school had an anti-bully program running, it might reduce the percentage of bullying. It would show the bullies how much they hurt the person who they were bullying.
It would also be more helpful if teachers kept an eye on students at all times. Many bullying cases occur on the playground or at passing time. Only 25% of bullied students said that teachers intervened a bullying incident; while 71% of teachers said they intervened a bullying incident.
Another way is to talk to the bully or stand up to them. Tell them how much it hurts when they call you names or physically hurt you. Try to help them understand bullying isn’t cool. Most likely, they bully just to impress their friends.
Tell a teacher or trusted adult. It’s one of the most commonly known ways to stop a bully from bullying you. Don’t worry; you won’t be a snitch or tattle-tale. Tattle-telling is when someone purposely tells on someone to get them in trouble. Just telling a teacher or trusted adult the situation is perfectly fine. It will help you in the long run.
Don’t just sit on the sidelines and watch bullying. Stand up for the bullying victim and let them know they won’t be alone.
Bullying is never, nor will it ever be, a tolerable matter. Together we can stand up to bullying and make it disappear. Poof!

Just a thought on bullying.

gayboy said...
on Oct. 30 2019 at 10:20 am
gayboy, Fortworth, Texas
your g a y @SergeantSteel82

gayboy said...
on Oct. 29 2019 at 10:56 am
gayboy, Fortworth, Texas
poppy headz

on Oct. 16 2019 at 8:48 am
SergeantSteel82 SILVER, Fort Wayne, Indiana

one of the greatest tragedies of our time is this impression that has been created that science and religion have to be at war.
-Francis Collins

Don't let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in conduct, in love, in faith, and in purity.
-1 Timothy 4:12, NIV Bible For Teen Guys

I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.
-Voltaire

Also, @uarea, I see you are a relatively new member, some of your comments are not ok. You need to go to Teen Ink Forums, select Random Thoughts and Basic Chat, and go into the one titled: The Teen Ink Constitution. Read what the creator wrote, this outlines how we treat one another in the articles we write, the comments we write, and in the forums. I am only writing this because I don't want you to get kicked off, every one should be able to enjoy this website.

on Oct. 15 2019 at 1:43 pm

-Francis Collins

-Voltaire

this is a beautiful article, I have been bullied in the past, and I dealt with it. to any one who has, is, or will write a stupid comment, you are being a jerk and really should take this article seriously. if you see this article as a joke, then why are you reading it and commenting on it? but like I said, this is a very well written article.

uarea said...
on Oct. 4 2019 at 4:52 pm
uarea, Seabrook, Colorado
your mom g a y

uarea said...
on Oct. 4 2019 at 4:51 pm
uarea, Seabrook, Colorado
be gone thot

uarea said...
on Oct. 4 2019 at 4:51 pm
uarea, Seabrook, Colorado
its a rat

uarea said...
on Oct. 4 2019 at 4:50 pm
uarea, Seabrook, Colorado
p e n i s

uarea said...
on Oct. 4 2019 at 4:49 pm
uarea, Seabrook, Colorado
drop the spaghettios and succ a glue stick

uarea said...
on Oct. 4 2019 at 4:48 pm
uarea, Seabrook, Colorado
you are g a y

uarea said...
on Oct. 4 2019 at 4:48 pm
uarea, Seabrook, Colorado
how wants to join my sniper clan

uarea said...
on Oct. 4 2019 at 4:47 pm
uarea, Seabrook, Colorado
boiiiiiiiiii

uarea said...
on Oct. 4 2019 at 4:47 pm
uarea, Seabrook, Colorado
you have a nice scull

uarea said...
on Oct. 4 2019 at 4:46 pm
uarea, Seabrook, Colorado
you are

yeet______ said...
on May. 15 2019 at 8:43 am
yeet______, City, Georgia

yeet :)

being a bully is bad :( poor kid

tylerj2007 said...
on May. 14 2019 at 2:30 pm
tylerj2007, Troy, New York
Don't be a bully its wrong. If you think this article is a joke that is bad they hurt/kill themselves from it

meeksr19 said...
on May. 14 2019 at 2:29 pm
meeksr19, New York, New York
anybody who writes a stupid comment on this article is really messed up because you should take this seriously and people are hurting them self because of bullying so just stop

000998627 said...
on May. 9 2019 at 2:55 pm
000998627, Ny, Delaware

"cant do nothing without a friend"

bullying is so bad, people kill themselves because of it.

lil_pump1910 said...
on Feb. 19 2019 at 12:58 pm
lil_pump1910, Atl, Georgia
i love hate love hate love hate love hate love hate love hate love hate bullying

lil_pump1910 said...
on Feb. 19 2019 at 12:56 pm
lil_pump1910, Atl, Georgia
#bullyingisbad

Smith Summer

Parkland Speaks

Campus Compare