Solutions for Facebook Cyber Bullying | Teen Ink

Solutions for Facebook Cyber Bullying

Authors Note: I made this as an assignment in my composition class. I just decided to share it with you. Give me tips on how to make it better. I'm only in 7th grade. Give me more solutions to fix the issue. Report grammar issues as well. I hope you enjoy it!

Just as I got on the bus from a stressful day of school, I realized that I had forgotten my Social Studies homework. My teacher would put me in the you'll-never-get-out lunch detention! Then I thought of my best friend Chauncey. He could give me the work! I got off at my stop, ran home, fixed up some hot chocolate, and logged onto my Facebook to get a hold of Chauncey. I guess Chauncey isn't on… I'll check out my wall. I would end up regretting making the decision to click on the link. Before I knew it, I began to see numerous Photoshopped pictures of me and several degrading comments. I felt a simultaneous surge of mixed emotions. Sadness, anger, confusion, betrayal, isolation; I began to set my eyes on prescription pills sitting on the bathroom counter. I needed a quick way out of this situation, and poisoning my self was definitely an option. I opted out of this problem, I opted out of life. This is one of the many possible cases of teen suicide due to cyber bullying. Cyber bullying is a form of bullying used to threaten, harass, or embarrass, a human being through a use of technology or electronics. Every year, millions of American teens and pre-teens are exposed or commit suicide from cyber bullying. Lately, cyber bullying incidents have mostly occurred via Facebook, a social networking site. While this website is a useful and fun tool, many people use it irresponsible. But not all cyber bullying originates on Facebook. According to safety.lovetoknow.com/cyber_bullying_statistics , 56% occurs from a chatting website like Facebook or Myspace, 49% Instant Messaging and texting, 28% from e-mail. Although cyber bullying is a problem, there are several possible solutions to this concern.

To begin, one of the solutions I have for the Facebook cyber bullying issue is to get Facebook to hire a monitoring staff. Software engineers could develop a program that would pick up bad words and phrases that occur on Facebook. These words would be sent to moderators who would either ban the bullies from Facebook or maybe even put some in a juvenile facility. Then, messages would be sent to parents to make them more involved on their teen's social life. But with most solutions, there are negatives too. Where would the money to pay these people come from? Advertising online? Donations? Maybe users would even have to pay for it. Also, many people may quit Facebook, angry that they cannot say anything the want. This solution could bring people to Facebook as well. I know of families that won't let their kids on Facebook because they are concerned that their teen may be bullied.

My next solution is to set up education and awareness counseling/programs about this nationwide epidemic. We could find a non-profit organization that would be willing donate time and money to instill seminars to make teens and parents more aware of cyber bullying. We could ask the government to support these seminars as well. This solution would reduce bullying and make the youth make better decisions to prevent a situation from occurring. The problem with this solution, likewise,money is an issue. The world isn't free anymore!

My third and final solution is to have a corporation like Sony, Microsoft, or Apple make a user friendly software that would let parents access and see into the world of their teen's social life. This software would have many tools such as to be able peer at Facebook account, view reports, and bad language list. That way, parents will be more willing to let their teens' go on Facebook if they know what they are involved. As well, money is an issue and some parents might not be willing to use up their time to “babysit” their teens. We also might not be able to find a corporation that would design this innovative software.

While these are all reasonable solutions to the problem, one of them is best. The best solution is to set up a Facebook monitoring staff. This solution is best because it would add jobs to our tough economy, make parents more aware of bad occurrences, and prevent immature and appalling words from convincing America's youth to think suicide is the best way out of the torture. So let's stop fighting, put our differences aside, and work together as a nation to save our youth!

I wrote this for a required essay and thought it was pretty good and a topic we all struggle with. I wanted more ideas and constructive input on my writing.

insanefoxgurl07 BRONZE, Fountain, Colorado

"If you're always trying to be normal, you will never know how amazing you can be."
~ Maya Angelou

This is really good.

on Nov. 1 2019 at 9:34 am
SergeantSteel82 GOLD, Fort Wayne, Indiana

one of the greatest tragedies of our time is this impression that has been created that science and religion have to be at war.
-Francis Collins

I may never let go of my anger and wrath,
But I will always have the last laugh.
-Corey Taylor

I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.
-Voltaire

This article is truly special! It bewilders me that it was not in a magazine or received an Editor's Choice Badge!

Yld777 SILVER said...
on Feb. 23 2017 at 6:40 am
Yld777 SILVER, Tirana, Other
Good explanation!!

writer2005 BRONZE, Wilmington, North Carolina

"If you're going to make a mistake, make it going one hundred miles an hour." my basketball coach

wow. That's amazing. Keep writing, and you'll inspire much more people than just the ones on this website. Amazing job!

mplo said...
on Jun. 12 2016 at 7:52 am
Some years ago, I read about a 13-year-old kid up in Vermont who'd constantly been cyberbullies by classmates. Sadly, when one of his tormentors suggested that he kill himself, the victim ultimately followed that suggestion. He got his father's loaded shotgun, shot and killed himself. Having mentioned the above, I believe that the boy's suicide stemmed from more than just the cyberbullying that he'd endured for so long. First, the boy was probably quite troubled, to begin with. Secondly, he had easy access to a loaded gun, which his father was irresponsible enough to keep loaded and unlocked, thereby providing easy access to it. Thirdly, it's all too easy, particularly when one is in a state of depression, to pick up a gun, aim it at oneself and pull the trigger. this is all that's needed for a suicide, a murder, or a permanent maiming. Sad, indeed. That being said, I believe that, had the boy in question not had such easy access to a firearm, he might still be alive right now. The idea that people fine other ways to commit suicide besides guns, in many ways, is pure malarkey. A gun is all too easy, and it inflicts much more horrific and much more extensive damage, thereby drastically reducing the chances of survival or full recovery.

zoe22 GOLD said...
zoe22 GOLD, Vienna, Virginia

"A drop in the ocean, a change in the weather," Ron Pope

This was a very inspirational article and made me reflect on how many kids in America get bullied each year. Bullying is definitely a cause for suicide and depression and before asking ourselves, why are so many teens depressed? We should ask ourselves what causes can we fix. Well-written and excellent job! :)

Coley said...
Cyber bullying is really getting on my nerves