My Hair is Prettier than Yours | Teen Ink

My Hair is Prettier than Yours

By FullPotential GOLD, Downingtown, Pennsylvania
FullPotential GOLD, Downingtown, Pennsylvania

Realism is an excuse for mediocrity.

"Your so ugly nobody can even look at you. It hurts their eyes!" She said to me. Then she threw her head back and laughed. Everyone laughed with her. I walked away. People pointed at me and laughed. I kept my head down. A paper airplane hit me in the head. I pretended I hadn't noticed. The kids on the bus insulted me just with their eyes. I read my book.

If you'll believe me, I'm actually very pretty. I have a pretty body, nice features, big eyes. But nobody can notice that. Because of my hair. It's not sleek and straight like everyone else's. It's untamable. It curls and frizzes and can't be pulled into a ponytail or pushed behind my ear. It's different. And they hate that.

I pulled my hair out of my face with a headband. My goal was to make eye contact with every person I passed.

Only four people would look me in the eye, and only one of them held it for more than a second. He locked eyes with me for five seconds. It may not sound long, but it felt like forever, especially since everyone else had averted their eyes.

They fidgeted with zippers and ponytails. They suddenly became very interested in their fingernails. Anything not to have to look me in the eye. Maybe she was right. It hurts them to look at me. But not because I'm ugly.

And when I was next to my locker and she came up and started making fun of my hair, I looked her in the eye. She faltered. All the kids around her averted their eyes. I heard their thoughts: Please don't look at me. Please don't.

“Worry about your own hair and leave mine alone,” I said to her. She blinked rapidly. Then I slammed my locker shut and stalked off towards science class. And just like a movie, they all stood there, not sure what had just happened.

Remember that old saying, “The eyes are the window to the soul”? They are. The one boy who held my gaze for five seconds learned more about me than any of the other students I was able to make eye contact with. And I understood him. Maybe the reason nobody else would look at me was because they were afraid I'd understand them. That they only want to fit in. That they don't want to become the next object of humiliation. That being popular is more important than being human.

By the way, McKenna, my hair is prettier than yours.

I really don't care what they think about me anymore. Mainly because I feel in control when I try to look them in the eye. Maybe it's harder to insult someone when they're glaring at you instead of just taking it.

on Jun. 20 at 10:37 am
StarNightGirl GOLD, Boyds, Maryland

"Life's under no obligation to give us what we want."

You are amazing and never let anyone tell you you're not.

lsher24 said...
on Jun. 11 at 1:39 pm
lsher24, Madison, New Jersey
This is very good! I like how it comes full circle at the end with the last sentence!

FoxPotato said...
on May. 22 at 8:00 am
FoxPotato, Douglassville, Pennsylvania
This is amazing!

iloveme1011 said...
on Apr. 2 at 6:49 pm
iloveme1011, Greensboro, North Carolina
Normally I don"t take stuff to heart but when you posted your story and I read this, you touched my heart!!
I know what you mean with curly hair because I have curly /wavy hair and its so frizzy. I ABSOLUTLY ADORE YOUR CONFIDENCE!! You go girl!!

on Mar. 11 at 6:12 pm
Avathebooknerd BRONZE, Cortland, Ohio

“Our fate lies within us you just have to be brave enough to see it” -Merida, Brave

I have curly hair and I know how you feel and my mom has to do my hair and I hate it.

on Feb. 5 at 1:56 pm
anonymous_poster, Greenwood, Arkansas

You are confined only by the walls you build yourself.

I relate to your article. My hair is naturally wavy/curly, and people made fun of me for it for the longest time. They would always taunt me, but as soon as I stood up to them, they backed down. I used to straighten my hair a lot in order to get them off my back, but as soon as I realized I was just running away, I left it curly, and I have never been happier to literally just let my hair loose and feel a bit more free than that time. (p.s. naturally curly hair is amazingly pretty so i'm certain you rock it!!!)

on Dec. 2 2018 at 1:14 pm
Upasana_ghosh004 GOLD, Serampur, Other
Torture indeed is very painful. But if you want to know the sunshine you must know the rain

on Mar. 10 2016 at 1:24 pm
sweettobeme123,
i am so jealous of you you did not care what other people think about you .you never gave up you kpet moving no and i love what you siad that you are pretty and smart and you you have a pretty body and so big eyes and i thick that your hair is pretty ant way you put it and you dont have to keep no thinking that you are not pretty who ever say you not pretty than they not love this story

Aschwa3321 said...
on Feb. 17 2016 at 11:13 am
Aschwa3321, Greenville, South Carolina
I am so jealous of your confidence. Good job playing it smart. you go girl!!!

CianaB GOLD said...
on Jan. 4 2016 at 6:35 pm
CianaB GOLD, Kennett Square, Pennsylvania
I love you story. I"m also kinda jealous of you confidence. I wouldn't know what to say or what to do.

mplo said...
on Nov. 21 2015 at 10:19 am
Looking them directly in the eye is a great way to deal with such stupidity. Kudos to you for making those nasty kids look exactly what they are: Complete dolts who don't have anything better to do with their time.

judyhhh BRONZE said...
on Oct. 30 2015 at 2:52 am
judyhhh BRONZE, Beijing, Other
that is a really awesome one.Bullying is always a problem in every school,and what we have to do is "see sth,say sth",we have to stand out and help those students in need.

Dujjo BRONZE said...
on Apr. 4 2014 at 4:52 pm
Dujjo BRONZE, Glasgow, Kentucky

"Does giving really mean hospitality, Or does caring for people? I think the latter. "
I know it's a random quote but I love it all the same!!!

That was beautiful! I'm a dude, and my hair is so curly and untameable it looks like an affro! I get made fun of for it but your method is so true. That's the same thing I do when someone is making fun of me, it's crazy how affective it is. Anyways keep up the good work!

free ray ray said...
on Apr. 4 2014 at 8:55 am
wow great storyy !!!

on Jul. 27 2013 at 6:26 am
MayaBlue BRONZE, London, Other

Words Create Worlds

Brilliant short story. I really enjoyed reading it.

on Apr. 2 2013 at 7:26 pm
bookmouse BRONZE, Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Everyone else has straight hair?!?

on Dec. 22 2012 at 6:26 am
LinkinPark12 PLATINUM, Lincolnshire, Other

Work like you don’t need money, love like you've never been hurt, and dance like no one's watching. ¦ I like change - but only when everything stays the same.

Cool message :3 I'm sorta jealous at how strong you are, I wish I didn't care what people thought. Great story!

on Oct. 17 2012 at 7:41 pm
FreeLOTR SILVER, Aurora, Indiana

"The biggest thing that man desires is power." -J.R.R. Tolkien.

THis is really good!!! I'm glad u showed them people. Bullies should all go fall off a cliff.

on Jun. 19 2012 at 5:54 am
Stand_Up BRONZE, Jensen Beach, Florida

am neither somebody nor nobody, but myself plain and simple.

~ Who I Am (report that I wrote personally for school) by Alli Evans

Really good, and I love the ending haha!

Powerful message. The eyes truly are a window to the soul for alot of people. Great writing (:

Smith Summer

Parkland Speaks

Campus Compare