Characters

Have you ever wondered why your perfect plans are shattered? Why a seemingly perfect romance ended? Why good luck strikes at strange times? Why life seems like a bunch of meaningless chaos?

There is a very simple answer to all of these questions. We were created by an ancient race of aliens and are nothing but characters in their stories, created to alleviate their boredom.

As soon as they are old enough to write, they are given a computer software program and a manual with only the most basic rules of their writing universe. In order to create a new character, they must collaborate with other aliens to make sure two human parents give birth to a child. This child will be under their control from the moment it is born until the moment it dies.

You are always subject to the whims of your creator. Everything you say, everything you do is controlled by them. Usually, the aliens have jotted down things they want to happen during your lifetime. But some aliens detest this and make random decisions as to where your life will go. This is where chaos comes from.

Our planet is relatively new, but the aliens have become bored with it. The best writers among them have declared that the Earth is a cliché, boring universe. They have decided they want to write in a new, more exciting world, so they have taken a special vote. It was this vote that decided how our world will end.

“Why don’t we let a black hole swallow their planet?”

“Nah, we’ve done that already.”

“What if the Earth spontaneously combusts?”

“That’s way too cliché!”

“Okay, why don’t we knock their planet out of orbit and send it crashing into the sun?”

“That’s a stupid idea.”

“Fine. How about we give all their world leaders bad cases of paranoia and see what happens?”

“Sure. Why not?”

And so, our world will not end with a bang, but with slow decay. Our increasingly paranoid world leaders will declare war on each other and humanity will slowly die out. But, since the aliens lost all interest in us, we have gained something we never had before: free will. It is now up to us to decide our fates—and the fate of our planet.

Tink1350 said...
Nov. 11, 2011 at 11:36 am:

I love this article. i dont have any criticism its great. i love how it starts out serious, and then ur laughng at the aliens conversations. haha

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Nov. 11, 2011 at 3:15 pm :
Thanks, Tink!  It's great to see you back. :)

Tink1350 replied...
Nov. 11, 2011 at 7:17 pm :
Yeah it's been a while:)

meowers5 said...
Awsome. It's such a good idea and it's soo new!!

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Oct. 30, 2011 at 1:50 am :
Thanks for commenting! :)

Anonymous_7 said...
Oct. 12, 2011 at 12:17 am:
I never thought about the aliens getting bored and this makes perfect since ;) You did a really good job writing this and I like the dialogue the Aliens used. It twas great! Would you mind checking my stuff out? Thanks!

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Oct. 12, 2011 at 9:01 am :
Sure, I'll check it out.  Thanks for commenting!

AntWrangler13 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Oct. 9, 2011 at 7:45 am:
Thi is so good-I was captivated from the beginning right till the end! Could you comment/rate my article? Thanks :P

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Oct. 9, 2011 at 2:55 pm :
Thanks.  But could you please give me more feedback?  Your story is quite long.

AntWrangler13 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Oct. 10, 2011 at 2:35 pm :
Yeah sure. When I was reading you're story, I at first thought it was going to be quite serious from beginning to end, which doesn't tend to appeal to me, but you balanced it really well by adding funny dialogue. The fact is, I can't give you any critisism because it's pretty much perfect!

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Oct. 10, 2011 at 2:39 pm :
Thank you!

Clear_Skies said...
Oct. 8, 2011 at 7:03 am:

This is great. I love the ending!

And now for the self-promoton bit: PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE read 'Bunny'. Just click on my screen name and it will show up! Please rate/comment.

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Oct. 8, 2011 at 2:40 pm :
Sure, I'll check it out.  But could you please give me more detailed feedback?

Clear_Skies replied...
Oct. 8, 2011 at 9:49 pm :
Sorry, I was in a hurry. I had to rush off to somewhere. I think it's a good article. I've thought of it that way before, but never with aliens! (I think whatever alien is writing my life is a bit of a klutz with the pen.) What I meant about the ending was that it was all hopeful and stuff. I'm glad that they chose not to let a black hole swallow us!! And they're right. Blowing up the earth is cliche.

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Oct. 8, 2011 at 10:00 pm :
Thank you!  I'll check out your article tomorrow.

purpleink said...
Fantastic idea. if you ask me the paranoia is somewhat true though. lol. Enjoyed reading it!

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Oct. 4, 2011 at 9:09 pm :
Thanks for commenting! :)

GzusFreak10 said...

This was really good. As a Christian, i hafta say that this isn't exactly what happened, is happening, or will happen, but a lot of the parts are right. Very good work!

(Written as a response to "feedback for feedback")

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Oct. 3, 2011 at 8:42 pm :
Thanks.  I don't believe what I wrote, so you didn't have to get all preachy with me.  This is fiction for a reason.  Anyway, thank you for the feedback!

ksaurus200 replied...
Oct. 30, 2011 at 2:05 pm :
i hate it when peoepl bring religon into this stuff it agrivates me no one really knows whats true or not i could be u might be no one knows