I'm the Girl | Teen Ink

I'm the Girl

January 13, 2012
By shelbyds SILVER, Fort Worth, Texas
shelbyds SILVER, Fort Worth, Texas
5 articles 0 photos 1 comment

I’m the idealistic, never will be realistic girl.
I’m the girl that keeps quiet in class, but will run screaming down the hall to prove them wrong when called shy. The girl that is one sweet mess. The girl that people can trust, but the girl that refuses to trust too easily herself. I’m the girl that’s always trying to change the world and typically failing miserably. The girl that’s still waiting for that Nobel Peace Prize. The girl that sometimes says too much, and more often than that, too little. I’m the scatterbrained one, the girl that apparently stares a lot in no particular direction. I’m the thinker, the passionate one, the writer.
I’m the girl that you met about three months ago. I’m the girl that wasn’t even trying to notice you, the girl that regardless of the previous fact, went all dramatically-doe-eyed-sparks-flying-who-in-the-world-is-that-boy-intense-stare on your face when you walked into that hotel lobby. I’m the girl that you were too nervous to notice that day. I’m the girl you heard all my friends talking about later on. I guess I’m the girl that they all love, but I’m also the girl that still wakes up and doesn’t believe how rock-awesome her life (and friends) are.
I’m the girl that refused to shake your hand, the girl that welcomed you right into the club with an warm embrace. Forward I know, but I’m that girl. I’m the girl who danced that night, the girl who didn’t care if you were watching. I’m the girl that knew you were trustworthy. The girl that you hugged back, the girl who’s head you put yours on. The girl that thought, “hmmm, this might be something.” I’m the girl, the only girl, who didn’t get your number that Sunday in November.
I’m the girl that fell, but didn’t fall so hard. The girl that took her time, played it by ear, decided to feel it out and not just hand her heart away.
I’m also the girl that didn’t have a clue what to say the next time she saw you. I’m the girl that gave you a pen when you asked for it. I’m the girl who you said it was nice to see again. The girl who thought it was pretty nice to see you again too. I’m the girl who pretended I didn’t care when all the other girls in the world came clamoring to your door. I’m the girl that hopes you aren’t leading them on, the girl that hopes you aren’t leading her on too. The girl that knows you wouldn’t do such a thing on purpose, the girl that understands you may be too sweet for your own good.

I’m the girl that you share a musical taste with. The girl that doesn’t like every status you post, the girl that is trying not to look like she cares too much. The girl that feels like she’s playing games.
I’m the girl that wasn’t about to miss out on that wedding. The girl that somehow knew you’d be there, the girl that spent three hours getting ready that morning. The girl that showed up with her own entourage of men just so she wouldn’t have to look too lonely. The girl that acted all surprised with you at the coincidence that we were both there, at the same time. I’m the girl that knew the bride, while you were the guy that knew the groom.
I was the girl you’ve called awesome on countless occasions, including right in front of my face. I’m the girl who asked you which way was left when we were dancing. I’m the girl you totally gave up on when you realized I did not, nor would I ever know which way left was. I’m the girl that you argued, laughed, and sang with that day. You know, the girl who tried to leave as they tossed the bouquet? Yeah, the girl you told to go catch it because I’m single. I’m the girl you somehow knew was single, though it’s never come up in conversation. I’m the girl you’ve either Facebook stalked at least once, or maybe I’m the girl who’s non-existent relationship status is blatantly obvious. The girl that wished you luck when you went to catch the garter. The girl who left in the rain that night. The girl that almost got into a fender bender or two on the way home because she was completely absorbed in you.
And I’m the girl who’s seeing you next weekend, once again. I’m the girl who’s hoping she’ll get a chance to talk to you. I’m the girl who I hope you’ll wish happy birthday.
I’ve been the girl that’s preached against teenage relationships. I’m the it’s-never-gonna-last-girl that all my non-single friends roll their eyes at. I’m the girl that sits at home and listens to love songs and watches Disney movies and swears it’s all a lie. The girl that doesn’t trust because she’s been hurt. The girl that thinks about romance and figures that she’ll only get one chance at it because after it in heartbreak once, she’ll be too scared to try again. The girl that’s been afraid of some predestined heartache forever. The girl that likes the idea of love, just doesn’t trust its capacity.
But now, I’m the girl that wants to do something fearless. I’m the girl that thinks she’s ready for something like this. I’m the girl that’s ready to fall for someone like you, the girl that’s thankful that she never took a chance with all the fools she used to love. The girl that wants to be your best friend first. The girl that does want to be something more than friends, but for right now just wants you in her life. The girl that will take you however you come.
I’m the girl that’s afraid I’m never going to see you again after this. But I’m the girl that knows you’re here for a reason, the girl that’s not going to let you get away so quickly.
I’m the girl that hopes she’s seen. I’m the girl that wonders what you’re thinking. I’m the girl that watches you from afar and just dreams. The girl that thinks about you every time one of her favorite song comes on the radio. The girl that hopes to stop being just another girl to you. The girl that’s longing to be able to one day say three little words…
“I’m your girl.”