Under a Winter Sky | Teen Ink

Under a Winter Sky

By Mehnaz Ali Khan SILVER, Fulton, Maryland
Mehnaz Ali Khan SILVER, Fulton, Maryland

Mehnaz A. Khan

Winter is my favorite time of year. I love each unique snowflake that enchantingly falls to the ground as if they were sprinkles of pure white joy descending from unknown origins above. I love the crowded malls when they are filled from side to side with anxious consumers trying to purchase the most flawless holiday gift for that significant other. Most of all, I love the cloudy blue skies high up over my head. Call me erratic, but I feel as if the sky is always more beautiful in the winter. As the cold season comes around, I pull out my camera, lay down onto my back, look up at the blue, and take endless pictures from endless angles.

I don't really have any idea why, but today the sky was calling out to me. I lift my head up, shielding my eyes from the bright sun with the back of my hand, and observe purposelessly. A single cloud looms up there; surrounded by an ocean of blue. I can't help smiling, because I just happen to have my camera in my backpack. I always bring my camera to school; it just seems like common sense to me. So, I pull it out, right in the middle of the sidewalk where classmates looked at me as if I was indeed deranged, and begin the photo shoot. Strangely enough, I manage to multitask and walk backwards towards school as I snapp more photographs. All the while, I'm smiling like some idiot because I find the sky undescribably fascinating.

Suddenly, my back runs into something or someone, I can't really tell. I turn around on my heel, immedietly opening my mouth to appologize incase it was a person I had ran into, and stare into the teal-blue eyes of an upperclassman.

"Hey," He grins down at me.

I'm speechless, wordless, and yet I'm still holding my camera up in the air like the mentally strange girl that I am.

"Taking pictures?" Is what he asks me.

"No," I quickly answer without thinking. The words, like always, just escape out of my mouth like a robot. Does my mind process what I'm about to say? No. Never.

"Then, what's with the camera?" He points to the digital in my left hand, dangling awkwardly in the air.

"What?" Then I hastily lower my arm. "Oh, I am. Taking pictures, I mean."

"Pictures of what?" He asks again.

He should really stop asking me questions, because, after all, I can't form English sentences accurately. "The sky," I manage to mumble. "The sky in the winter is always the most alluring."

"Really?" He looks up and stands there for a few seconds, like a statue. He then glances down at me and smiles. "You might be right."

"Yeah," I blurt out. In the background I can hear the late school bell chiming, but to me, it sounds like an alarm clock I want to confidently kick out of my window.

"How about you show me the pictures after school today?" He shifts his positioning a little, just so that he's ready to make a run to school if necessary.

"Sure, that's okay." I say, speechless again. All throughout my head, a little voice is screaming, "WHAT JUST HAPPENED?!"

Then, about six hours later, as I'm walking to my bus, I see the upperclassman from before. He's leaning his back against the pale silver fence and looking around anxiously. For me? I glance at him, hoping he won't notice me in case it's not me he's looking for, but then he catches my eye and waves his arm in the air.

"Hey!" He greets with a smile. "Let's see those sky photographs now!" And as he says that, tiny snowflakes start to descend from the blue sky.

Winter is my favorite time of year. Do you ask why? Well, there's always a budding romance or two under winter's wide and endless azure sky.

on May. 16 2022 at 2:07 pm
TessaDreamAuthor_3000 PLATINUM, Tomball, Texas

"The way I see it, if you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain." - Dolly Parton
" Balance your life with spiritual experiences that remind and prepare you for continued, daily ministering to others." - M. Russell Ballard
"Love is expressed in a smile, a wave, a kind comment, a compliment." - Thomas S. Monson

This was amazing! I love how you tied the idea from the beginning to end, even though it has a different meaning in the end. Great story! Keep writing, Teenink is very proud of you.

Saunders453 said...
on Dec. 10 2008 at 12:00 am
awesome! the descriptiveness was a nice change from the other stuff I've been reading on this site!

KulsumStar said...
on Dec. 7 2008 at 3:22 am
Mehnaz it's a really pretty story.

keep on writing thanks for the e-mail ^^

sarahdowns9 said...
on Dec. 7 2008 at 1:44 am
i loved it! the ending was so cute!

shivvpatt said...
on Dec. 7 2008 at 1:31 am
WOW! This was phenomenal! I absolutely loved it. Simply amazingg. This should DEFINITLY get published. Great job Mehnaz A!!!! 5 star material for sure!

cookies1029 said...
on Dec. 7 2008 at 1:27 am
this story is amazing! its cute and romantic;)