Cassie's Gift | Teen Ink

Cassie's Gift

By Zachrry BRONZE, Barrington, New Jersey
Zachrry BRONZE, Barrington, New Jersey

The word hung on my tongue, burning my senses. “Dead?” still I couldn’t pass the word, and it came out jumbled. “Mom, what do you mean?” she stroked my shoulder, tears clouding her eyes. She spoke, her tone loud but calm “Ben, Cassie is dead.” I couldn’t believe it. I wouldn’t believe it. Cassie, my Cassie couldn’t be dead. Just this morning she was perfectly fine. We have been best friends since kindergarten when she shared her juice box with me. Now, our senior year, she … dies. No it can’t be true. “I don’t believe you.” At this point mom started to bawl. “Sweetie, her car was hit by semi. She’s gone.”
Let me take you back twelve hours. At nine thirty this morning, I was standing at my locker talking to my friend Greg. Suddenly, Cassie came running around the corner, down the long hallway, and to my locker. “Ben, I got in.” she screamed, and threw her arms around my neck, her girly shriek filling my ears. I spoke, a little confused. “In where Cassie?” she pulled out a manila envelope. “Princeton!” Again she jumped into my arms. “Let’s go out to dinner. To celebrate. I’ll pick you up at eight.” She kissed my forehead and ran back to her class. Greg stared at me, in awe at how fast that had just happened. He chuckled. “That has to be a record.” I pulled my journal out and smacked him on the arm with it. “What?” he laughed, chasing me down the hall.
That Wednesday, I stood over my girlfriend’s body, as she lay in a casket. Her light ginger hair was piled around her head, and she looked so different without her gray hoody and blue jeans. She wore a yellow top and a black skirt covered in daisies, and looked nothing like the girl I love. After the funeral, I went up to Cassie’s mom, and her six year old brother. I hugged her mom, then turned to her little brother, Scott and lifted him to my shoulders. “Anytime you need someone to hang with, you call me alright?”I put him next to his mom and walked back to the grave site and dropped something, and as I walked away, the diamond engagement ring glistened in the sun.

lol.heyyy said...
on Aug. 6 2016 at 4:03 pm
Awesome writing!

on Apr. 15 2016 at 1:49 pm
LittleRedDeliriousPrince SILVER, Parma Heights, Ohio
The ring was the icing on the cake. Right in the feels. THE FEELS

on Apr. 28 2014 at 9:59 am
xxMedievalShadexx GOLD, Deerfield Beach, Florida

Love is like a friendship caught on fire. In the beginning a flame, very pretty, often hot and fierce, but still only light and flickering. As love grows older, our hearts mature and our love becomes as coals, deep-burning and unquenchable. -Bruce Lee

GAAAHHHHH right in the feels......

on Feb. 17 2014 at 10:34 am
micshea99 PLATINUM, Matthews, North Carolina
Loved the end)*:

on Dec. 17 2013 at 11:58 pm
Gracieblue PLATINUM, Oak Park, Illinois
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO   Good writing though! Keep it up!

on Aug. 28 2013 at 6:31 pm
oliviajocson SILVER, Normal, Illinois

"Learning to love the process."

This such a precious story! Ugh. So incredibly sad they couldn't be together! Still, very good writing!

on May. 28 2013 at 11:13 pm
Snow_White BRONZE, Fairfield, Connecticut
this was so sad but beautiful at the same time! I love how I got so attached to the characters in such a short amount of time! maybe try something a bit happier next time though :)

on May. 13 2013 at 11:07 am
RonnieAnn BRONZE, Bates City, Missouri
That is so beautiful!! When I got to the end I just about teared up. Not the best thing to do in school though.

JPanda13 GOLD said...
on May. 6 2013 at 1:03 pm
JPanda13 GOLD, Roswell, New Mexico

just cuz you put syrup on somin dont make it pancakes
Whoever said sticks and stones may break my bones but words can never hurt me, had never been hit with a dictionary

ur-ma-gurd that was soooo sad and amazing

on Nov. 25 2012 at 6:22 pm
RBrown201 BRONZE, Miami, Florida
OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG. The tears. The tears. The tears. OMG OMG OMG OMG. My eyes are burning. :( This is soooo heart felt and sad and emotional and yet BEAUTIFUL all in one. <3

on May. 6 2010 at 8:39 pm
Moonlight14 PLATINUM, Mechanic Falls, Maine

'To love is to destroy' - The Mortal instruments
If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
What the French, Toast?!

OMG! That is so sad! ;( But it's nice to kno a guy can write sensitively. Good job! But net time, dont  b so sad! :P