Lost Forever In His Eyes | Teen Ink

Lost Forever In His Eyes

By artofthedeath PLATINUM, Dothan, Alabama
artofthedeath PLATINUM, Dothan, Alabama

Jake pretended like he didn’t care too much. However, I knew he was upset by my news. So upset he actually had to turn away from me so I couldn’t see his tears. I knew he was crying though. I know how he feels, even though he would never admit it.

I might sound like a horrible person to you right now, but to tell you the truth, it was a test. I don’t like Sammy, I never have. I try not to throw up just thinking about seeing him again. Brown hair, gorgeous blue eyes, kind smile. It doesn’t sound so bad, does it? I guess I’m just crazy then. But hey, Sammy doesn’t have the one thing I want: he’s not Jake. He’ll never be Jake. Case closed.

I ran around Jake to his front, grasped his shoulders with both hands, and looked him straight in the eyes. His eyes, green like mine, hurt, but trying not to be. I tried not to get lost as I took a gulp of air.

His eyes.

“What do you think of Sammy? I mean, I care, I really care.” I rubbed his shoulder as a sign of my words.

He just shook his head, his brown- blond hair falling in his face. Beautiful, perfect hair. It was dyed blond, but that didn’t necessarily mean anything. It was still his hair. He flipped it out of his eyes, gently removing himself from my grasp as well.

His hair.

“He seems like a nice guy. I’m glad you have someone like I do.” his lips tried to give a smile of encouragement, but his eyes still wouldn’t hide their sorrow.

His lips, you could get lost in their words. I always did, every time I heard his voice. However, now I tried to control myself.

His lips.

I shrugged. “Thanks. How is Georgia?” I tried to sound offhanded, but I’m not a terribly good liar myself.

He looked at me like I tried to strangle him. “She’s great. She’s at a soccer game right now. I hope she wins.” He stared off into the distance. I knew that he probably had no idea where she was.

I nodded. “That’s good. Sammy’s in Florida, surfing.” I tried to sound like I wasn’t trying to care. Wasn’t working.

“He just left you here, all by yourself?” What was that look in his eyes, anger?

“No, I’m not alone. I have you, silly.” Jake smiled. These were the words he wanted to hear. However, his voice, this time, expressed sadness.

“I just don’t think that it’s right for your guy to go surfing and not take you with him.” “Your guy.” He makes that sound so poisonous.

I laughed. “Oh, you know I don’t like surfing.” Besides, I thought, I don’t really want to be around him at all. It’s better that he’s far, far away.

Jake looked at me, puzzled, and then looked around him. “Where’s your roommate?”

I had to think for a moment. Remembering that we were in my cramped dorm room about to watch a movie was hard to recall. I guessed that I really did get lost in his eyes again. Amazing how that happens and I never realize it. That’s not the way it is with Sammy. I’m looking for exit lights with that boy.

“Oh,” I said offhandedly, “she’s spending the weekend at her parent’s house. I’m glad she’s gone.”

“You don’t like your roommate?” Jake asked as he fell back into my bed, like he owned the place. He was here so often though, and it looked so natural. All I wanted to do was fall into his arms and forget about Sammy and my roommate and school and this small room. However, I restrained. Why, oh why, did I restrain?

“It’s not that I don’t like her, it’s just that this is our weekend. I don’t like people disturbing the peace.” I pulled my small TV set out of the closet and set it on the table.

“That’s understandable. I like our alone time myself.”

I laughed quietly. Of course you do. Why won’t you admit why? Having plugged the TV into a nearby socket and setting it on my desk, I went over to my collection of DVDs against the wall. I had a large selection, almost as large as the amount of books I kept in a shelf above my bed. What can I say? I like to read.

“What are you in the mood for?” I asked Jake as I searched for the perfect movie.

“Something gruesome. I want some blood.” Jake was got up from the bed and came over to the corner where I was searching.

I poked his nose. “Do your selection preferences ever change?” He laughed. What a gorgeous smile.

“Not until I get my preference choice.” He poked my nose back.

I laughed and shook my head. “I’m never in the mood for blood and guts, Deary. Pick something else.” Jake smiled. He leaned over me, his head resting on my shoulder, and scanned the DVD titles with his forefinger. How natural it felt to have him there. Did he notice the rightness of that position? Well, of course he did. He must have. That was too strong a feeling for me to share alone.

After a few seconds of careful searching, Jake tapped on a DVD with an orange and white cover. “Juno? I would expect you to pick something a little, newer.”

He smiled. “I actually like this movie. Besides, it’s only what, five years old? That’s not much.” He got up and walked over to the DVD player. I stayed down, paralyzed by our closeness.

“Five years can be a very long time, though. I mean, we’ve been best friends for five years. I consider that to be a very long time.” I got up then, walked over to him, and made eye contact.

He nodded. “Yeah, you’re right. In that sense, five years is almost forever.” He smiled at me, but his eyes were unfocused. Perhaps mine were too. Perhaps we went back to the same day, a little less than five years ago. That first day at camp our second time around…

This is the first little bit of my new heart throbbing novel Lost Forever In This Eyes. I want comments. Tell me what you like, what you don't like, if it's any good. This will help me, to see in what path I need to continue, or if I need to continue at all. Thank you for all the help and support. Oh, and this tail is based on a true story, but sadly, a true story that hasn't happened yet.

cringing_pandamonium, Gilbert, Arizona

"the man who reads lives a thousand lives and the man who doesn't lives only one."

030 that sad momment you click on a book you know you'll love and it's an illegal cliffhanger

Hermione-Granger BRONZE, Bethel Park, Pennsylvania
Ooh, I need more!

on Apr. 4 2016 at 11:00 am
Aaliyah02 SILVER, Pflugervile, Texas

" If you can dream it, you can do it"

So great! Keep writing! I so need to find out more!

SomeoneMagical PLATINUM, Durham, New Hampshire
I enjoyed reading this. I really did. I think this would be great as a novel and I hope you continue I write more.

TheBlackRose BRONZE, Madrid, Other

I knew who I was this morning, but I´ve changed a few times since then

You totally get what it´s like to be in love with your best mate! I´ve been through it and it´s exactly like that. I hope they finally have the guts to tell each other... I don´t think there is anyother way round it. Keep it up!

landpearl BRONZE, Shallotte, North Carolina

"Now I will believe that there are unicorns."
-The Tempest

I love how you so clearly expressed most feelings in love. You get it. Great job.

ChelseaMarie123 BRONZE, Horton, Michigan

Everything is temporary.

I really liked it. It's definitely relatable. Nice job!

kimberlyguzmanx SILVER, Holbrook, New York

The next chapter in your life, will always be more interesting than the last..

Oh this was so well written it made me so sad. I find it very relatable as well as a lot of people.

NeverjustOne BRONZE, Eugene, Oregon
This is really well done. I love it! It has a couple of minor grammar bits but otherwise great. Keep writing!

ShadowPen GOLD said...
on May. 16 2014 at 1:36 am
ShadowPen GOLD, Mesa, Arizona

“Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.”

― Marilyn Monroe

oh how you have described my life. i adore this, its so like what im going through. Keep writing!

haley101 DIAMOND, Windsor, Connecticut

“Someone I loved once gave me a box full of darkness. It took me years to understand that this too, was a gift.”

― Mary Oliver

i really love this! it's so beautful, and natural. It's how I want to write. I'm currently writing a book sort of like this, I was wondering if you could check it out, and I've revised it since I posted it on Teen Ink, but if you could check it out, that would be awesome. TeenInk.com/novels/romance/book/117565/Protection/ and this one:  TeenInk.com/fiction/realistic_fiction/article/556233/These-Dark-Corners/  

yourlove-mywings SILVER, Yuma, Arizona

"Pay attention to yourselves! If your brother sins, rebuke him, and if he repents, forgive him, and if he sins against you seven times in the day, and turns to you seven times, saying, ‘I repent,’ you must forgive him.” Luke 17:3-4

I liked your story. It was very good. I would love for you to keep writing. I want them to end up together. Them being Jake and his best friend. They are perfect together. I love it!!!! Good job... very good job.

LindzL SILVER said...
LindzL SILVER, Milwaukee, Wisconsin

"When one door closes, another opens. But we often look so long at the closed door that we never see the one that's been opened for us" -Helen Keller

you're an amazing writer! keep writing!

xxxVanessaxxx SILVER, Alexander, Arkansas

"i CaNt Be AwAy fRoM hEr BeLlA, iT hUrTs ToO mUcH." (Jacob from the breaking dawn book)

i liked this piece very much. I shall be waiting for the sequal soon. Keep up the good work. and by the way - I WISH I WAS THE CHARACTER. : )

eMiLyP GOLD said...
eMiLyP GOLD, Jeannette, Pennsylvania

Life is short; speak your mind, say what ya wanna say, and do what ya wanna do (as long as you don't get caught!).

Wow! That was really great! My friend and I write, and she has a story where the guy and the girl are friends and they like each other, but won't admit it. I love that kind of writing. But what happens next?! I really want to know! I don't know if I'll be able to wait for more! Just kidding. Keep writing!!!

-Emily

biddycakes said...
biddycakes, Charlotte, North Carolina
wow that was soooo good i think you should keep on writing it! you are an awesome writer!

artofthedeath PLATINUM, Dothan, Alabama
Thanks for the comment! Unfortunately, Stephan (?), that is no longer a link. If you gave me another one, I would be happy to read your writing!

Thanks.

Melissa

Stephenmcrey said...
Really good job!

Could you check this out to give me feedback?

TeenInk.com/raw/Fiction/article/96942/Our-Army/

Emily_S. said...
on Mar. 27 2009 at 1:45 am
Emily_S., Blairsville, Pennsylvania
That is really nice! I could see you going somewhere with this. I wish i had the time and the privacy to write..

Amber Drury said...
on Mar. 5 2009 at 1:31 am
Amber Drury, Elsie, Michigan
Hey, wow! That was amazing. I felt as though I were there, watching everything take place. It's so romantic, and yet suspencful. You're constantly waiting to see what the characters are going to do next!