Breakup Advice | Teen Ink

Breakup Advice

After those amazing relationships end, you have to ask yourself how things will continue. If you broke up with your partner, you must either be unhappy with them, mad at them, tired of them, or some other circumstance. So, if it is you who breaks up with the other, stop and think. As one single person, you don't have any idea what the other might go through. One moment to you is completely different that that of another. For example, you might go on a date and have the time of your life, oblivious to that fact that the one you care for is about to slit their wrists in boredom.
Just and example.
But that is something that you can relate to a breakup. You might think that things are better off without the other. They might be tripping and falling behind you, trying to catch up and get you back. It happens a lot, and these breakups are the worst. I myself went through one. And I've scraped my knees so much over these past to years tripping and falling after her(yes, two years. She's so beautiful I can't stop thinking about her). I've found out the the first and most important thing you can do to stay out of those horrible, bad break ups, is to forget. Easier said then done, right? Well, there is only one way to completely get over such a thing. Overwrite the memories that the two of you shared. Now, people call this a rebound, but isn't every boyfriend/girlfriend after the first a rebound? You must make better memories with this person. Have a greater time, and think about the new things you share rather then all the things you used to share with the other. Take it from me, with time, almost everything is mendable.

COMMENT AND WRITE YOUR OWN STORY BACK!

AelitaReloaded PLATINUM, Scottsdale, Arizona

"The pen is mightier than the sword" author unknown (to me)

Sounds like he has low self-worth.  He may not think he is good enough for a girl who treats him right- you've just got to be patient- and then show him that he's wrong!  Good luck! :)

White_Shadow BRONZE, Putnam, Illinois

"A life without cause is a life without effect." - Unknown

Thank you :)

CindyMarieee BRONZE, Georgetown, Texas
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

"in life, the greatest hazard of all; is to risk absolutely nothing"

when it comes to break ups, i think tht a lot of ppl only see it as a 1 way thing. they dnt really sit back n' think bout wat tha other person is goin through. really good work (;

on May. 16 2010 at 11:56 am
treegirl93 BRONZE, San Antonio, Texas

Be nice to trees- they'll become books someday.

I would stay away from that person. If he's abusive- even just verbally abusive he's not the right one for you. You deserve more. I wrote a story about a girl who was abused by her boyfriend and a nicer guy came along to try to save her. Please read and comment!

on May. 16 2010 at 11:51 am
treegirl93 BRONZE, San Antonio, Texas

It is hard to forget. Trying to forget actually makes it impossible to forget. I have been obsessing over the same person for 2 years now and I know i don't have a chance ( he has a girlfriend and is 5 years older than me). I decided to forget which only made the pain worse. I shifted my attention to other hobbies such as reading and watching old movies. Before i knew it- I could face him without my heart hurting or my breath catching. I still like him but I can now move on with my life. I

on May. 16 2010 at 11:45 am
treegirl93 BRONZE, San Antonio, Texas

This happens all the time. I'm not sure why. Some people refuse to break up with the one they 'love' although they've cheated maybe even multiple times. I think it's a mixture of denial and desperation and also the need to not feel alone. If I were you I would confront him and tell him your true feelings and add "I would never cheat on you like she did." It's worth a try. I've written a story similar to this situation if you'd like to read it and comment after.

Mspi18 BRONZE said...
on May. 4 2010 at 10:35 am
Mspi18 BRONZE, Lawrence, New York

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx

this is a beautiful piece

Blooper195 PLATINUM, McKinney, Texas

This life ain't that bad.

My best friend is dating a girl who has two-timed him..once he figured that out, he forgave her. does anyone else think this is strange? ive been waiting for him to see that i like him for a while now, but if he never wants to break up with anyone, how is he supposed to see?

bellasbyline BRONZE, Greenville, South Carolina

"The fluffy newborn chick of hope tumbles from the eggshell of life and splashes into the hot frying pan of doom." - Humphrey Lyttelton

I've never had a boyfriend before, and I know it's because I find it hard talking to people. The one person I actually do like is ignoring me right now. He has been for three weeks, and even though I used to see him as just a friend, I think I always knew that I would one day like him. I hate it...I'm trying to forget. I agree with you Anon, making the best of your moments with someone is what you have to do. It might be too late for me, but I hope I can learn. Thanks.

Juless SILVER said...
Juless SILVER, New York City, New York

“Knowing others is intelligence; knowing yourself is true wisdom. Mastering others is strength; mastering yourself is true power.” - Laozi
"God does not give heed to the ambitiousness of our prayers, because he is always ready to give to us his light, not a visible light but an intellectual and spiritual one; but we are not always ready to receive it when we turn aside and down to other things out of a desire for temporal things."-Saint Augustine
"Change is the law of life. And those who look only to the past or present are certain to miss the future." - John F Kennedy

ooo god I am sorry for you! 

that was cruel of her to do that

Lisaa said...
on Apr. 28 2010 at 11:34 am
Yeah my best friend is going out with someone who i have liked for ages. He regected me but only cause he said he liked her and she was like telling me to ask him out but when he said no she was all like i like him now ...

on Apr. 28 2010 at 7:14 am
Rosalie PLATINUM, Maryville, Tennessee

-you have many to learn but nothing to lose.
-the hardest thing to do is watch the one you love, love someone else...
-good girls are bad girls that dont get caught.

there's dis guy..we broke up like 2 months ago...and he's dating this other girl..she's really pretty and i lyk her but..yeah. the hardest thing is to watch the one you love, love someone else..

shanie said...
on Apr. 27 2010 at 10:04 am
i am not dating thos guy but we are kinda are its so complated... but i am scared that one day we will be gone forever.. and once he is gone im scared that we will never be back. i wish we new wats going to happin in the furture so we can be ready for it all.

Realtai BRONZE said...
Realtai BRONZE, Port Orange, Florida

Be who you are for the sake of yourself.

It's the memories... I think of them and then the next thing I know I'm lying on the ground, crawling after them all over again. That used to be him, not me. He was the chaser. Amazing how easily it can change.

writergirl13 GOLD, Cherry Hill, New Jersey

All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher.
Ambrose Bierce

I know what you mean! My friend has this icon on her iPod Touch that says, "She's my best friend. You break her heart, I'll break your face." :)

bayleem GOLD said...
bayleem GOLD, Yarmouth, Maine

"Best Friends are like bras: close to your heart and there for support.”

One of my best friends is just getting over a guy like that! But she thinks he is nice but mi other friend and I wanna beat the crud out of him for breakin her heart and we know she's still in luv with him so we don't want her to be hurt anymore because she lets him hurt her

Ambrose Bierce

yeah, you're probably right! that's kind of what i said! lol! :)

White_Shadow BRONZE, Putnam, Illinois

Or maybe he is both. I'm a guy and i can stand by saying that sometimes we aren't sure what we want, and act on not only one viewpoint, but in the other. He might be acting like a "jerk" and getting inside of your other relationships because it may be the only way he knows how to get through to you. Maybe he isn't thinking and is just doing. Maybe it is a subconcious thing. Or maybe he does have it out for you to be cursed to enternal "darn"nation of bad relationships. Only he could tell you. So my advice, just ask him. He should have the guts to talk to you what his feelings are.

Ambrose Bierce

yeah, or maybe he's just a jerk! lol! :) like i said, i'm a hopeless romantic. :)

LiveLife2theMax GOLD, Wicklow, Other

In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on.
-Robert Frost

I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not.
-Kurt Cobain

Or maybe he's just a jerk?

i mean they do say guys act badly if they like you, but come on, not that badly.

but maybe i'm just bitter :P