Intensity

The tears poured off her eyelids; slid down her cheeks; fell to the floor. Slowly she sank to the ground, trembling slightly. Her breath came in deep sobs, wracking her chest. She barely had enough air. She did not hear the soft footfalls coming ever closer. She did not see him as he sat down next to her. She did, however, feel as his arm wrapped around her shoulders. Turning slightly, the girl buried her face in his shoulder. Her friend held her tighter, resting his head in her soft chestnut curls.

The two of them sat that way for what felt like hours; the girl sobbing loudly on the boy’s shoulder, the boy holding her quietly, steadfastly. Finally, the girl released her last tear. She looked up at the boy, eyes red from crying, cheeks flushed. He turned to her, a small crooked smile on his lips. To the girl’s surprise, tears were slipping down his face as well. “Why are you crying?” she asked softly, voice cracking. The boy considered the question for a second.

“I am crying because you are crying,” he replied truthfully as yet another tear trickled down his handsome face. His smile was still there, unwavering.

The girl stared at him with wide eyes. He stared back at her. A chill like an electric current flowed through both of them. The air around them tingled with static. Slowly, as if pulled by some invisible force, the two teenagers moved closer. Their faces were within a hair’s breath of each other’s. “Why me?” she whispered. “Why did you choose me?” Her eyes darted back and forth, looking for an answer written on his face. “You are the only one who’s real. The only one out of all those girls who knows what it means to truly love someone. Even though he broke your heart, you just keep going. I like that. I think… I think I may even love that.”

His eyes gleamed with a passion long suppressed. “I think I may love you.” His sweet breath lingered on her lips. The girl’s heart began to beat frantically, as if trying to keep up with her rapidly changing emotions. “I think I may love you too,” she admitted.

Without meaning to, the girl shut her eyes. The two leaned even closer, closing the gap between them. His soft lips pressed against hers. She wrapped her arms around his neck, and his arms coiled around her waist. The kiss deepened.

Gently, they pulled apart. Both were smiling softly. “Thank you,” the girl said under her breath, so quiet that the boy sitting right next to her wasn’t sure he had heard her at first.

“For what?” She stared deeply into his eyes. He held her gaze, reciprocating the intensity. “For giving me a reason to live again. For saving me from falling.”

“Anytime. Thank you, too. Thanks for letting me in. Thanks for not pushing me away.”

At the same time, the two teenagers said, “I love you,” sealing their fate.

The two leaned in closer, their foreheads, then lips, pressing against the other’s.

amyxu said...
Jul. 3, 2009 at 5:21 pm:
How sweet!

Lindsey_O replied...
Jun. 29, 2010 at 10:08 am :
:Dhank you!!

Your Friend, Anonymous said...
Jul. 3, 2009 at 5:01 pm:
Lindsey. ThIs is beyond amazing. Most people have special talents, but writing such as this really needs to be brought to light. Keep writing, It will get you to good places. From someone you know

lindsey_O replied...
Sept. 25, 2009 at 3:24 pm :
aww thanks! whoever you are... haha that means alot! :]

Anonymous At Best said...
Jul. 2, 2009 at 7:35 pm:
Lindsey this was truly amazing. I'm in awe, you're a spectacular writer! There's really nothing to critque and, again, this is a fabulous peice of work. Awesome, awesome job. Keep writing, you'll be doing the world a favor.

Lindsey_O replied...
Apr. 8, 2010 at 5:05 pm :
It has taken me forever but i have finally figured out who you are!! Meghan! :D thank you so much though! you, too, must continue writing cuz you are amazing!

Lindsey_O replied...
Jun. 13, 2010 at 8:51 am :
d***I was gonna say "arigato gozaimasu, Meghan-chan" once I got to yours, but then I look to discover I already said thanks... @_@

TaylorNP said...
Jul. 2, 2009 at 2:03 pm:
This is so goood!!! <3

Lindsey_O replied...
Jun. 13, 2010 at 8:51 am :
Thanks Taylor!!

anna148 said...
Jul. 1, 2009 at 5:25 pm:
Loved it! Great writing!

Lindsey_O replied...
Jun. 29, 2010 at 9:21 am :
Thank you!!

WriterScout said...
Jul. 1, 2009 at 3:25 pm:
This is a phenomenal piece! Such descriptive emotions between characters! I think Lindsey O' has a bright future in writing.

Lindsey_O replied...
Jun. 13, 2010 at 8:55 am :
Thanks dad XD

Lindsey O. said...
Jul. 1, 2009 at 2:16 pm:
this was my first submission into teenink, and i would appreciate any feedback--good or bad--you might have. thank you!
-lindsey

laurel567 said...
Jun. 30, 2009 at 8:49 pm:
omg thats awesome!

Lindsey_O replied...
Jun. 13, 2010 at 8:41 am :
Thanks Laurel!! :D