I Don't Want To Dance Anymore | Teen Ink

I Don't Want To Dance Anymore

By AntoinetteBrandt GOLD, Interlachen, Florida
AntoinetteBrandt GOLD, Interlachen, Florida

In order to gain all, you must risk all.

The world is dancing around me. The colors are swirls and I'm laughing.

"I've never seen the world like this before." I exclaim, still spinning lightly in a circle.

"Everyone could see the world like that if they spun around enough." He chuckles.

I stop, swaying into his arms. He pushes my hair back. I smile.

"Dance with me." It was sudden. "Dance and see the world as I see it."

His smile vanishes. "I - I don't dance." He moves away, pushing me away from him.

"You don't dance?"

"No."

"Not once?"

"Never."

"Then do it for me." I take his hand.

"Just one dance. Move with me."

He doesn't smile. "I -"

"For me please!"

"I can't. I don't. Never have. Never will."

My smile vanishes. "Any one can dance."

"Not I."

"Not even for the one you love?"

He isn't smiling. He doesn't face my eyes. The world stopped and it's colors went gray.

His voice was gossamer, a piece of the wind. "No," Where is the world we were just in? "You...You deserve someone....someone who would...dance for you."

I step back. The world of ours has gone, the vastness of the universe has created itself between us. "No..."

"Yes."

We are now two worlds apart, but I know he must've hear me when I said:

"I don't want to dance any more."

This has a lot of meaning for me, and to many people who have read it. Personally, not work I like sharing since it is so personal, but something tells me that people may relate to this.

MegaNova BRONZE, Turtle Lake, Wisconsin
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

Be fearless in the pursuit of what sets your soul on fire.
--Jennifer Lee

I loved the way you expressed how suddenly things can change. I felt like I could relate to the character in several situations in my life. I love how you left the reason why she isn't going to dance a mystery. Like others are saying, suggesting something could be a great way to tie thoughts and emotions together, but I also really like how the story is kept open for interpretation at the same time.

on Mar. 1 2016 at 2:47 am
Mysterious_style BRONZE, Suva, Other
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

Open the cage and let 'em out. If it was ever meant to be yours, it will fly back to you. But if it doesn't, then don't waste your time on it. It was never meant to be yours. ~

My guess is that someone he loved used to dance. Maybe someone whom he loved but the feeling was not reciprocated or atleast he was hurt by the person. :)

witchwallow said...
witchwallow, Los Gatos, California
Beautifull piece! Left me wanting to read more. Please look at my new pieces and see if they give you the smae feeling :) TeenInk.com/fiction/romance/article/744069/Kiss-Me-Deeper/   TeenInk.com/fiction/sci_fi_fantasy/article/742085/Night-Dancer/   Please leave comments!

ninjaballerina1234, Eureka, Missouri

everything is always ok in the end if everything is not ok its not the end

I Loved It!!!! Love, Love Loved it!!!! Your idea was fantastic and the rythm of your peice was great. The only thing I would have done differently is that I would have hinted at the reason for him not wanting to dance. Did he stop dancing after a loved one died or was he made fun of for dancing when he was young?  

on Nov. 27 2013 at 9:13 am
Ride4Life BRONZE, Calumet, Michigan
Absolutely amazing! I love your writing style. :)

oliviajocson SILVER, Normal, Illinois

"Learning to love the process."

I really enjoyed this piece!! You captured so much in such few words. Keep writing!

LeahRae BRONZE said...
LeahRae BRONZE, Maiden, North Carolina
1 article 0 photos 1 comment
This piece really amazed me. It was incredibly short, but incredibly powerful. It does mean very much to me because it shows what someone will do..for their love.

You are an amazing author.